Hornby 2020 range "reveal date" = 6th Jan

phil gollin

59 minutes ago, wombatofludham said:

It would be nice if Hornby celebrated it's "100th" anniversary by continuing the trend started last year of going back to it's roots, and producing contemporary items to appeal to younger models.  In the past they produced models like the APT and Class 58 before the real things hit the rails, so this year it would be a good idea to produce something like their 800 in TPE or Hell Trains liveries, plus a Greater Anglia bi-mode Flirt, which with two identical articulated passenger areas and a centre "power pack" in which to hide the motor, plus being bi-mode, would bound to be an attractive model that ought not to cost a huge amount to tool up for.

I doubt they will though, we might get a few tired Limby re-issues at pocket money prices (not that that is wrong per se and the popularity of their 66s in contemporary colours shows there is a market for it) but I have a wearisome feeling it'll be yet more tea-urns chasing the last of the grey pounds rather than creating a sense of excitement for new modellers.

Well they did do those Hitachi trains. The problem is that Hornby is in competition to get licenses to model all-new real world classes. Hornby won some, Dapol won others (68), Accurascale got the Mk5s and so on. I doubt they could have some all new class even every few years. But if there is an all new real world train out there that looks sexy, and no one else has announced it, then maybe , just maybe.....

16 hours ago, The Johnster said:

This and the Mica B are proven flyers from the Hornby Dublo range, and are almost bound to be issued sooner or later.  The Mica is gonna be pricey, though...

With the Iron Mink I swear I remember Paul Isles or someone putting a photo of it on his twitter feed.

Also, Metropolitan E1 class.

Edited by MonsalDan

On ‎17‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 21:40, NXEA! said:

No idea what Hornby will announce, but I think both a re-tooled Black 5 and 8F make enormous commercial and modelling sense and would get lots of cash through the door. An SECR L1 is also a good shout, along with CIWL stock perhaps?  

I say this every year in every manufacturers' topic, but the one model I would love to get my hands on is an LNER E4. 

The L1 was a Southern build, but I wouldn't be surprised if a Slow Easy and Careful D class made an appearance....

Having finally made the LNER long CCT in BR blue (very nice Hornby, thank you). maybe 2020 will be the Year of the Parcels Van, and we'll see the LMS CCT and Hawksworth BG in BR blue too ? And a new inside-framed Siphon G would be very nice too.

• Agree 2

3 hours ago, wombatofludham said:

it would be a good idea to produce something like their 800 in ... Hell Trains liveries,

I'd buy that.    If Dapol can put smoke on a 59, here's hoping Hornby can add fire to a Hell Trains 800

• Funny 1

4 hours ago, Legend said:

I do wonder of the possibilities of a Greater Anglia "Flirt" .  Ok you may think these are geographically limited , but I bet there are a good few modellers that would buy one simply because they are different .  They might wait for the Welsh ones to come out though to give a better marketing opportunity, but as I understand it these units will not be the same .

Interesting

I think our Welsh Flirts will be split between 11 diesel only and 24 tri-mode, electric, battery and diesel, in a mix of 3 and 4 car.  It suggests that they will externally at least be identical to the AGA units, I expect they will be the same to allow for a quicker entry into service, no need to go through any new approval process other than clearances and possibly an approval for the battery option.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, caradoc said:

Having finally made the LNER long CCT in BR blue (very nice Hornby, thank you). maybe 2020 will be the Year of the Parcels Van, and we'll see the LMS CCT and Hawksworth BG in BR blue too ? And a new inside-framed Siphon G would be very nice too.

The Hawksworth BG must be a favourite but I doubt they will go to the expense of retooling it to the modified non gangwayed version!

W315W_TCFD_1991_MSaunders_copyright.jpg

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Chuffed 1 said:

The L1 was a Southern build, but I wouldn't be surprised if a Slow Easy and Careful D class made an appearance....

That will indeed be quite scary. If it is yet another duplicate...….. I will breath a sigh of relief if they don't as I don't think they can afford to have a lemon sales wise. 

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

High Fidelity BR built 94xx to be released almost immediately at a significantly sub £125 price point...

(Dream on, Johnster)

Werent they seen to measure one up ?  Obviously put off by the Bachmann announcement of same , but had they known the wait they could have brought it to market earlier!

How about one of the last mainstream 0-6-0Ts .....a J69 . Surprised no one has brought one out in OO given there was a Farish N one 30 odd years ago .

Still hoping for something Scottish . Simon Kohler always said blue engines were better sellers . As long as its not a reissue of the Caley 123 again!

Edited by Legend
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

If they do, I bet you anything it'll be another GW built version, the only one that's ever been available RTR or kit in 4mm because they can sell it in a GW livery, with the cover plate over the valve chests ahead of the smokebox, useless to me and a very difficult conversion job.

• Friendly/supportive 1

On ‎03‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 14:00, meatloaf said:

The 08 is in desperate need of lighting. 

The 25 or 101 hasn't been in the range for a while so hopefully they may make the railroad range. Even better if they have TTS sound

On ‎02‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 18:04, MonsalDan said:

I think it will be:

Caledonian 439 class

LSWR T3

Rocket

A buffet coach coach for either LNER/LMS/GWR

GWR iron mink

On ‎26‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 09:28, philiprporter said:

Exactly my thought. APT and class 81 are what my money is on. Probably dreaming but no harm in that!

Loving all the above and I'll raise you all a:

CR Cardean (oh-how I wish!)

LNER Hush Hush

SR Class L1

Mausell Buffet in SR Lined Olive Green with White Roof

LMS Stanier Period 3 CK

More Pullmans though with Cream at cant rail level

BR Class 01/02/06 shunter

BR Class 82/83/84

BR Class 86/2

Manys' the time I have backed loads of runners in the Grand National and not one has come in, though if any of the above do emerge, I will have a very Happy New Year!

• RMweb Gold
54 minutes ago, Trojmiasto said:

Sub £125 for a Pannier Tank?!? You're sure that's OO gauge?

Current Bachmann prices for 57xx and 8750 are £114.95, and the 56xx, arguably more loco than the 94xx, comes in at the same price for the black liveried version, £119.95 for fully lined BR.  1Fs and Jinties are sub £100, by 5p, and the 1P  is not priced yet.  Like the 94xx (£124.95), prototype pictures of this loco are shown in the online catalogue.

The nearest comparable loco in the Hornby range is probably the J50, a very well reviewed item and well up to the standard of the Bachmanns in both detail and running; it probably pulls better.  Hornby are able to knock it out and presumably make enough profit for their bus fare and a bag of chips on the way home for just shy of £90.  I see no reason why a Hornby 94xx needs to be much more than a tenner over that, but of course I'm a customer, and a poverty stricken pensioner at that, with no experience of whatever making an honest living (or any other sort) by designing, arranging the construction, packaging, and shipping of, marketing, and distributing 00 scale model locos of this quality entails, and am naturally biased towards less spending on more things, not more spending on less things; any comment I have made here should be taken in this spirit...

In 00 gauge.

Edited by The Johnster
  • Like 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Throw my hat in the ring. Some thing Scottish to accompany the locomotive they’ve already done. Then I reckon an SR L1 or U class. I would’ve said a Q to but since the markets already got a multitude of SR 0-6-0’s already I doubt it but they might surprise us. But I’ll ask Santa for an L1 when I take my niece next week. 

Big James 

41 minutes ago, Big James said:

Throw my hat in the ring. Some thing Scottish to accompany the locomotive they’ve already done. Then I reckon an SR L1 or U class. I would’ve said a Q to but since the markets already got a multitude of SR 0-6-0’s already I doubt it but they might surprise us. But I’ll ask Santa for an L1 when I take my niece next week. 

Big James 

Ye take the Highland....Actually after having done Padstow, I am strangely drawn to Wick and Thurso....que the squeal of the pipes....and a Jones Goods or Little Ben

Edited by autocoach
  • Like 1