Hornby 2020 range "reveal date" = 6th Jan

phil gollin

On 07/12/2019 at 18:30, gc4946 said:

Assigned permanently to the Railroad range:

Class 101, HST (ex-Lima power cars) + Mk3s, 156 

ex-Lima HSTs were promised at the beginning of this year and according to at least one supplier are rostered for delivery before Christmas.  The others would be nice for next year!

On 08/12/2019 at 00:59, MrJack47790 said:

Also I hope Hornby don't pull a 66 stunt this year for the 91!

The 66 stunt was welcome as it provided basic 66s for those who wanted to run a present-day model railway on a budget.  It also pointed out the forthcoming super-detailed Hattons models for those who can afford them!

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Hroth said:

ex-Lima HSTs were promised at the beginning of this year and according to at least one supplier are rostered for delivery before Christmas.  The others would be nice for next year!

The 66 stunt was welcome as it provided basic 66s for those who wanted to run a present-day model railway on a budget.  It also pointed out the forthcoming super-detailed Hattons models for those who can afford them!

History shows that 2nd runs don't always equal success.

Hornby took a lead advantage first time round.

Once the Hattons versions hit the floor, I suspect opinions might change on the cheap Hornby ones, especially as many of those buying cheap toy 66’s first time round were more likely to be “lads and dads”, who wont want a fleet of 66’s and this next batch is going to more obscure liveries.

A railroad Electrostar with a good paint job in umpteen liveries however, could set the world on fire, especially if they sold them as 2 Or 3 car units.. with extra cars sold separately.

I know everyone here wants real world detail, but that comes at a price, when Hornby really needs volume... people arent going to buy 5 4x car electrostars with super detail at £500 each, but they might at £150-200 RRP for a 2/3 car, if it looks good, runs well but without all the fancy dcc, lights, couplings etc.. and leave that to after market companies...then of course you buy the extra cars to finish the train.

Edited by adb968008

• RMweb Premium

Ahh same old same old 90s marketing then .   I haven’t really a problem with it as long as everyone maintains a strict embargo and nobody comes on dropping escoteric hints  . Really it has to be a strict silence . And I hope that certain magazines that may be delivered to subscribers ahead of time keep the embargo so we don’t end up with certain people knowing, others not and no one able to discuss anything . Really in 2020 there must be a better way . 

• Agree 3

Just a thought about the Hornby Class 91/Alas the 225. Once the Cavelex model comes out. I wonder if the Hornby model will be relegated to the Railroad range in the future? As for modern stuff and Hornby must have the licence from Hitachi to make the Class 800/0. I wonder how popular a 9 car Class 800/3 for GWR and perhaps a Scotrail Class 385 model would be? Well with the LNER Class 800 coming out soon. That would make two model fine EMU's for those that want to model the modern Scottish theme around Edinburgh.

1 hour ago, BritishRail60062 said:

perhaps a Scotrail Class 385 model would be? Well with the LNER Class 800 coming out soon. That would make two model fine EMU's for those that want to model the modern Scottish theme around Edinburgh.

Class 385 unlikely, one paint scheme and geographically limited.  Don't think there is any interest by anyone other than Scotrail to buy them.

Maybe one of the newer manufacturers who have lower overheads than Hornby, but suspect same issues would make it problematic.

Though anything seems possible these days.

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, gc4946 said:

SR gangwayed luggage van to replace the venerable Triang version?

Not a chance, at least until I've spent time and money upgrading the one at the bottom of my 'round tuit' box.  And because I'll never be happy with that even when it's got new bogies, buffers, and a better underframe, I'll still replace with a new Hornby and all the effort will be wasted.  

What I think I'm saying is that I need to crack on with the old Triang so that a new one becomes available to anyone that wants one.  It depends I suppose on Hornby's view; do they think they have covered the market for such a vehicle with the Maunsell B, or would they regard it as a useful running mate for that model?

• RMweb Premium

I wouldn't mind a Scotrail 385 , Id prefer the more handsome 380 though

But I think common sense has to prevail. we are very unlikely to get something as geographically specific as that . More likely an Electrostar that can have multiple liveries , or as they have a habit of bringing things out as the real thing disappears from the railway , as mentioned before 313/314/315/507/508

Id also say there's a case for direct introduction of a no frills reasonably priced MU in the Railroad Range . They could have a more advanced version in the main range with through electrical couplings dcc bells and whistles (a bit like the Realtrack 156 spec). While not really a fan of mixing ranges it does make sense if there's a clear difference in functionality.

Edited by Legend

Well with my GWR fixation it must be time for an upgraded pannier, and a restaurant car.

I'd like to see something off kilter like an aberdare but I don't expect one.

Off the GWR are there any Pacifics other than the Great Bear that Hornby haven't done

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, rovex said:

Well with my GWR fixation it must be time for an upgraded pannier, and a restaurant car.

Off the GWR are there any Pacifics other than the Great Bear that Hornby haven't done

Some of these Thomson abominations I think. 

9 minutes ago, rovex said:

From the LNER there's:

ex NER A2

A5

A6

A7

A8

An A5 would be nice as they were very handsome locos and were widespread across the southern part of the LNER.

Jamie

• RMweb Gold
19 hours ago, BritishRail60062 said:

Just a thought about the Hornby Class 91/Alas the 225. Once the Cavelex model comes out. I wonder if the Hornby model will be relegated to the Railroad range in the future? As for modern stuff and Hornby must have the licence from Hitachi to make the Class 800/0. I wonder how popular a 9 car Class 800/3 for GWR and perhaps a Scotrail Class 385 model would be? Well with the LNER Class 800 coming out soon. That would make two model fine EMU's for those that want to model the modern Scottish theme around Edinburgh.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a few 91’s in the 2020 year, the reasons the 66’s sold well was 1st to market with a decent paint job at a decent price... a disposable fashion accessory.

Whilst the LNER 91 is an obvious one theres a lot of celebrity 91’s about too.. Intercity, WW1, WW2, 91132, Europhoenix.. after 2020 demand will wane as the celebrity status goes to memories And out of fashion, so its do or die for Hornby’s railroad 91 next year, as Cavalex will surely surpass it down the road.

i wouldnt be surprised to see a last breath of class 142’s from Hornby either, in TfW and Northern.

its odd to think some “modern image” toolings are now out living the lives real thing... 58,90,91,92,142, plus 59,66,67,92,156 ex-Lima, from that golden age of 1980’s/90’s when Hornby’s modern image meant tooling models of real classes still being assembled on BRELs factory floor... since China production theres been very little of that from Hornby.. IEP, then the 395 a decade earlier, Pendolino, 466.. even earlier than that.

Edited by adb968008
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, rovex said:

2721 to modern standards please!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, rovex said:

If we are going to see anything GWR I think it is only likely to be rolling stock this year with the prairie still coming up over the horizon somewhat behind booked time.  A Collett restaurant car would be nice and a Collett full brake would be even nicer. but b no doubt we'll get what we get.  If there are any hi-fi steam outline loco updatings I would have thought the Back 5, or even the 8F, are likely candidates with lots of permutations available and a potentially wide market that could run on for several years before tiring which has to be the way to go for hi-fi models.

The real 'excitement' strikes me as more likely coming from something like a proper revamp of the Railroad sub-brand to help widen market appeal at more attractive price points and thus highly suitable for Hornby's new approach to franchise outlets and even pop-up shops etc.  That's the area they look to be determined to promote as part of widening their market base and attracting increased entry level customers so  I won't be in the least surprised if they have a go at it (at long last).

Edited by The Stationmaster
Peculiar trypo corrected!!!
  • Agree 3

13 minutes ago, Ian Hargrave said:

Hawksworth County,Saint,Manor,Hawksworth 15XX,retooled Autocoach,Collett RCand aB16 for ER&NER fans.....won’t happen of course but what else do you dream on this accursedly wet day ?

Excellent choices Ian.

I'm hoping/banking on a late crest airsmooth M/N, a newly tooled Rebuilt M/N and a Stanier 8F.

Hopefully the idea of glowing cab LED fireboxes recently featured on the new Princess class will be a feature on all new releases.

Edited by Black 5 Bear
Omissions
  • Like 1

Could someone prevail upon Hornby to announce one of their 2020 locos tomorrow so that we can have a day of

"Excellent"   ...   "Wow, just what I needed"   ...   "What rubbish  -  why would anyone want one of those?"   ...   "Of course, they've got all the details wrong"   ...   "Typical, always that region, why can't they produce XXX region items?"

At least we'd have a day or so of distraction from the Election results.

PLEASE     !

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, phil gollin said:

Could someone prevail upon Hornby to announce one of their 2020 locos tomorrow so that we can have a day of

"Excellent"   ...   "Wow, just what I needed"   ...   "What rubbish  -  why would anyone want one of those?"   ...   "Of course, they've got all the details wrong"   ...   "Typical, always that region, why can't they produce XXX region items?"

At least we'd have a day or so of distraction from the Election results.

PLEASE     !

Adding: “Nothing for me there” 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1