Hornby 2020 range "reveal date" = 6th Jan

phil gollin

• RMweb Premium
On 11/12/2019 at 04:06, BritishRail60062 said:

I wonder how popular a 9 car Class 800/3 for GWR .... model would be?

We discussed this when Hornby announced their 800 model - and the bottom line is that the number of modellers with the space to run a 9 car unit is pretty small and unlikely to be enough to make it viable.

Please remember that its not simply a case of making extra vehicles to expand a 5 car set - new tooling is needed as the 9 car units have significant differences to the 5 car ones (just like the 'Western' Blue Pullmans were different from the 'Midland' Blue Pullmans).

In any case if you really want to model lengthy GWR (or indeed LNER) trains then you can always do what the real railway does and coup two 5 car units together

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
20 hours ago, rovex said:

Well with my GWR fixation it must be time for an upgraded pannier, and a restaurant car.

IIRC it has been suggested by Hornby that if sales of the Maunsell restaurant car were good then they might well consider further catering vehicles from other companies to expand the range. Given Hornby have already produced retooled Collet mainline stock, then a Composite restaurant car is a natural choice for an upgrade.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, AlexHolt said:

But you can't couple two class 800 units together from Hornby. Sure they have the nem pockets on the front for couplings, but they don't swivel and are fixed straight, meaning you can't run two units together if you have any curves on your layout.  Even streamline points are too sharp a curve for them. 

People have come up with solutions for that issue. Check out YouTube 

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, AlexHolt said:

Yes but they are very much bodge solutions. A paperclip shouldn't have to be used on £700 worth of multiple units. That in no way looks realistic and spoils the rest of the model.

No I agree but there are ways to do it is all I am saying 

16 hours ago, AlexHolt said:

Yes but they are very much bodge solutions. A paperclip shouldn't have to be used on £700 worth of multiple units. That in no way looks realistic and spoils the rest of the model.

Kadee couplings as I have discovered are extremely flexible.

I'm sure someone can also design a 3D printed coupling to put between the powercars. If 3-links can be 3D printed, I'm sure other couplings can.

What about the European style couplings Hornby uses with their Mk.3 stock? They also seem to be extremely flexible.

• RMweb Gold

I have a relative who works at Tesco in Westwood, Margate. Hornby as you know, is just over the road.

Due to inside information, we can expect:-

Rxxxxx Censored

RxxxxA Censored

RxxxxB Censored

RxxxxC Censored

Apparently, the limited edition RXXXX is going to be well worth the wait.

Aint life a b***h!

Have a great weekend, everyone!

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 5

14 minutes ago, tomparryharry said:

I have a relative who works at Tesco in Westwood, Margate. Hornby as you know, is just over the road.

Rxxxxx Censored

RxxxxA Censored

RxxxxB Censored

RxxxxC Censored

Aint life a b***h!

Not more of them, you can only have so many Rxxxx Censored

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

Surely it is time some members of the Electrostar family were created in model form.  I appreciate they share their DNA with the class 170 which Bachmann have produced, but Barwell don't seem in any particular rush to capitalise.

I have no personal interest and couldn't really tell you the difference between the various classes of the 377 except there are three car, four car and five car examples. I believe the 376 has different bodyside doors in pockets so is different in appearance 

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Covkid said:

Surely it is time some members of the Electrostar family were created in model form.  I appreciate they share their DNA with the class 170 which Bachmann have produced, but Barwell don't seem in any particular rush to capitalise.

I have no personal interest and couldn't really tell you the difference between the various classes of the 377 except there are three car, four car and five car examples. I believe the 376 has different bodyside doors in pockets so is different in appearance 

My 9 year old daughter is adept at spotting the small fleet of 377/7’s....

she targets them as they are the only ones with seat plugs so she can charge the iPad.

• Funny 2

• RMweb Gold

I wonder if this year will see 5 digit catalog numbers ?

R10000...

Fits 100 years.

r3947 is highest I’ve seen in Loco range.. R4001 starts coaches, other number ranges upto r99xx are in use.

R10000 as Rocket would be a good starting place. 

Edited by adb968008
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, tomparryharry said:

Rxxxxx Censored

RxxxxA Censored

RxxxxB Censored

RxxxxC Censored

Aint life a b***h!

Ah Ha!

I have spotted your fiendish ploy there @tomparryharry as Tesco Westwood Cross is not just over the road - Its a good 0.9 mile away, or perhaps they work at the Manston one as thats nearly 2 mile away....

Are you trying to put us off the scent, so you get all the news of the highly classified R items for yourself?

I think we have just seen through your ploy! - All over to Tesco, chat to the check-out staff 

Lol - enjoy :-)

Edited by Neal Ball
  • Like 2
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Neal Ball said:

Ah Ha!

I have spotted your fiendish ploy there @tomparryharry as Tesco Westwood Cross is not just over the road - Its a good 0.9 mile away, or perhaps they work at the Manston one as thats nearly 2 mile away....

Are you trying to put us off the scent, so you get all the news of the highly classified R items for yourself?

I think we have just seen through your ploy! - All over to Tesco, chat to the check-out staff 

Lol - enjoy :-)

Seeing as you have quoted the distance fairly accurately, I'd guess you've already traveled over, to 'suss out' the situation. If you see Joyce on the fruit & veg, mention the code-word 'Artichoke' to get the latest information.... Pssst, keep it quiet..... If Joyce isn't there, go over to Aldi, and ask Dorothy.....

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

Every year I suggest the same thing. One day I'll be right – one of the big Southern tanks like the G16, H16 or the Z class although I'd love to see the LBSC L Class – Remembrance. The Z class would make sense as it introduces a new wheel arrangement to their range.

• Like 5
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
On 09/12/2019 at 14:51, Ouroborus said:

Didn't Hornby do this with the Javelin though?  A plastic wheeled, crudely coupled version

It seems to have sold well... theres been lots made, especially around the Olympics...considering its not many liveries at all.

i’d say that justifies my argument, not counters it.., especially considering its limited in geography.

Maybe one of those “power packed” diesel/electric stadler units for Greater Anglia is on the cards ?