Hornby 2020 range "reveal date" = 6th Jan

phil gollin

15 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

Surely models like a W or a Z are more up Kernows avenue than Hornbys ?

i’d say that about Port of Par twins too.

Did they use the class "Z" as a banker at Exeter at some point ? Definately in Kernow "territory" is that !!

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, tomparryharry said:

Seeing as you have quoted the distance fairly accurately, I'd guess you've already traveled over, to 'suss out' the situation. If you see Joyce on the fruit & veg, mention the code-word 'Artichoke' to get the latest information.... Pssst, keep it quiet..... If Joyce isn't there, go over to Aldi, and ask Dorothy.....

Know the area very well..... my partners uncle used to work at the factory in the 1970’s.

However....... Hilda on cakes at Sainsbury gave us quite a good tip when we were over in the summer. Then there was Suzanne at the M and S cafe, she reckoned she knew what was going on.... she was a bit more tight lipped, just saying to keep an eye out for page 12 of the catalogue, apparently it’s sensational. :-)

Westwood cross is alive with Hornby spies.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold

I say it every year but here goes....

Adams Radial in late L&SWR livery or Maunsell lined green. 

New tool Terrier with IOW bunker extension in BR black. ( L&SWR would be nice as well.....) 

A retooled 2P is long overdue. 

More liveries for the Peckett 0.6.0st....

Agree with the 8F retooling. That would be nice. 

Oh and a retooled GWR 48xx/58xx/14xx to replace that dogs dinner from Hattons. 

Rob. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Neal Ball said:

Know the area very well..... my partners uncle used to work at the factory in the 1970’s.

However....... Hilda on cakes at Sainsbury gave us quite a good tip when we were over in the summer. Then there was Suzanne at the M and S cafe, she reckoned she knew what was going on.... she was a bit more tight lipped, just saying to keep an eye out for page 12 of the catalogue, apparently it’s sensational. :-)

Very good Neal, I like it...

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Neal Ball said:

I'm sure there'll be some really good tips from the staff in our newly opened local Harrods café - a bit of class and ridiculous prices (like £17 for a selection of sarnies) is bound to ensure the info u is really to notch.  Only trouble is I can't even afford a pot of tea in there but at least tehwaiter can be seen cutting people's chocolate brownies for them.

• Funny 2

• RMweb Gold

here are a few locomotives I'd like to see, but given Hornbys' even-handed approach, I wouldn't expect to see anything Western (other than the large prairie) for quite a while yet. From a Western perspective, however, would be a bells-&-whistles edition of the Dean Single. Tender-driven possibly, or within the leading coach. Perhaps the iconic Triang locomotive that perhaps any Western aficionado would desire: stopped only because quite frankly, it doesn't meet today's desire  for fidelity. 

Perhaps whilst in the bells & whistles department, the ever-faithful 2721 pannier would be a good choice. In either saddle tank, or pannier; either would no doubt be a popular choice. 

I'm still awaiting to make good on my promise to purchase a large prairie, subject to it being a 'good un' . Likewise, a promise to purchase a reworked 2721 still holds good. 

Ian.

• RMweb Gold
34 minutes ago, tomparryharry said:

here are a few locomotives I'd like to see, but given Hornbys' even-handed approach, I wouldn't expect to see anything Western (other than the large prairie) for quite a while yet. From a Western perspective, however, would be a bells-&-whistles edition of the Dean Single. Tender-driven possibly, or within the leading coach. Perhaps the iconic Triang locomotive that perhaps any Western aficionado would desire: stopped only because quite frankly, it doesn't meet today's desire  for fidelity. 

Perhaps whilst in the bells & whistles department, the ever-faithful 2721 pannier would be a good choice. In either saddle tank, or pannier; either would no doubt be a popular choice. 

I'm still awaiting to make good on my promise to purchase a large prairie, subject to it being a 'good un' . Likewise, a promise to purchase a reworked 2721 still holds good. 

Ian.

Put me down for a reworked 2721, ian, in pannier tank form with half cab.  But I think you are right in that there will be little from Hornby for GW modellers for a while; reissues of 14xx, auto trailer, LOTI and the clerestories (good name for a band) as well as the Prairie and Collett suburbans are plenty to be going on with.  Utlimately, with luck, H will consider the A28/30 auto to be 'their's' and retool into a proper model, but I'm not holding my breath.

On 12/12/2019 at 16:23, phil-b259 said:

We discussed this when Hornby announced their 800 model - and the bottom line is that the number of modellers with the space to run a 9 car unit is pretty small and unlikely to be enough to make it viable.

Please remember that its not simply a case of making extra vehicles to expand a 5 car set - new tooling is needed as the 9 car units have significant differences to the 5 car ones (just like the 'Western' Blue Pullmans were different from the 'Midland' Blue Pullmans).

In any case if you really want to model lengthy GWR (or indeed LNER) trains then you can always do what the real railway does and coup two 5 car units together

I understand. To be honest mate. I am quite ignorant of the Class 800 "Cucumber" trains because to my eye. Apart from the liveries, they all look the same to me :).

Now something else for the wishlist. How about a VP185 TTS twin pack of decoders? ;). Infact Hornby could utilise the ex-LNER/VTEC livery for their first EMR HST and the Mk3's as I believe that EMR are taking 9 HST sets from LNER to displace the 222's to other EMR routes and some of the VP185 HST's as well. Or at least this is what i have been told.

Edited by BritishRail60062
Spelling error.

• RMweb Gold

Hope-list item: Having spent all morning stripping a Hornby rebuilt WC down beyond its underwear, and with two more awaiting similar attention, the new product I'd really like to see from Hornby wouldn't be immediately visible. GEARS THAT DON'T SPLIT, please.

John

Wishlist Item: Adams Radial 30584 in plain black with British Railways on the side.

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I would admit LMS fans have done very well over the last few years from both main RTR producers of late obviously the new Princesses classes updated, the soon to be released Midlands tank and the new break van also coming. However I do think Hornby  could do 1 or more Stainer coaches to pad out a train formation to go with the princess’s. And if the other time did say a PII set who I’m I to argue with that. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, tomparryharry said:

Ian.

Whilst I agree about smaller locos*, I wouldn’t mind betting Hornby will add a Saint to the 2020 run. 

*Obviously there will be different Prairies in next years line up, hopefully in the same batch as those we are waiting for, so we won’t wait too long!

I wouldn’t mind betting we will see a Collet restaurant carriage and a full brake. Both would finish off the sets that Hornby have already produced. A new Autocoach would be nice, but I think it will be the 2 above first......

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Neal Ball said:

Whilst I agree about smaller locos*, I wouldn’t mind betting Hornby will add a Saint to the 2020 run. 

*Obviously there will be different Prairies in next years line up, hopefully in the same batch as those we are waiting for, so we won’t wait too long!

I wouldn’t mind betting we will see a Collet restaurant carriage and a full brake. Both would finish off the sets that Hornby have already produced. A new Autocoach would be nice, but I think it will be the 2 above first......

I accept your view, and Hornby have produced a Saint before. With all of the Western models in the last 3-odd years, Hornby will probably put on the brakes, otherwise they will run out of marketable 'new' products. 

Having typed this, my money is on a nice little Western saddle or pannier.  Saint? Yes indeed; a bit of a no-brainer. Good luck to them, anyway.

Ian.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
On ‎13‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 23:59, Covkid said:

Did they use the class "Z" as a banker at Exeter at some point ? Definately in Kernow "territory" is that !!

Exmouth Junction used the entire class for banking, shunting and station pilot work for a few years.