Hornby 2020 range "reveal date" = 6th Jan

phil gollin

Given there’s a Dean Single in the 2019 catalogue, I’d be surprised if they produced a new tooled version.  Other Singles would be more logical.  Bachmann’s WIckham Trolley shows a route to doing items like Rocket in my view.

If they do produce a 100 year “special”, I’d have thought it would be at the collectable end of the market, a 2020 only model and priced at a premium.  I’d also aim for something that was in the £3-500 mark such that not only can they make a margin but also a decent chunk of cash for producing 3-5000 items.  They may also follow the route of the 2013 A4s - a collectable set of 6 iconic locos from across the years and flog you a display case at mark-up for them. 

• Agree 1

On 18/11/2019 at 21:11, ThaneofFife said:

I'm sure we will see somebody announce a Class 81 AC electric in 00 gauge in the next 6 months whether its Hornby Bachmann Rapido etc..…..can I have a domino headcoded one please preferably with leaping salmon if they lived that long?

There were certainly some with Plated headcode and leaping salmon at the end so I'd expect they would have had a domino headcode at some point

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Clearwater said:

Given there’s a Dean Single in the 2019 catalogue, I’d be surprised if they produced a new tooled version.  Other Singles would be more logical.  Bachmann’s WIckham Trolley shows a route to doing items like Rocket in my view.

If they do produce a 100 year “special”, I’d have thought it would be at the collectable end of the market, a 2020 only model and priced at a premium.  I’d also aim for something that was in the £3-500 mark such that not only can they make a margin but also a decent chunk of cash for producing 3-5000 items.  They may also follow the route of the 2013 A4s - a collectable set of 6 iconic locos from across the years and flog you a display case at mark-up for them. 

Fair enough, 2020 marks the centenary of the Hornby name, but I wonder if it's mere coincidence that the new Princess Royals, so redolent of the true origins of modern Hornby, I.e. Tri-ang Railways, will be among the first arrivals of the year, ....

John

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, Denbridge said:

As I said above, following the complexity of the Brighton Atlantic, the team of builders have chosen an E because it is a far simpler prototype and as well as being easier to build, that simplicity also translates into being cheaper. The tender doesnt make it more expensive because A, they already have a lot of parts such as wheels, axleboxes, brake gear etc. And B, instead of building tanks and bunker, they build a tender tank.

My incredulity had nothing to do with the Atlantic, just the idea in your earlier post that building a replica LBSCR 4-4-2T would cost twice as much as doing a SECR 4-4-0 plus tender.

If starting with a blank sheet, I'd expect the I3 and E to present roughly equal engineering and financial challenges. Having much of the running gear required for the SECR tender provides a very good reason for making that choice, but it surely won't halve the total cost of the project.

Or did I misunderstand your original meaning?  I can easily accept that an E could be built for half the cost of the Atlantic.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

1 hour ago, Dunsignalling said:

Fair enough, 2020 marks the centenary of the Hornby name, but I wonder if it's mere coincidence that the new Princess Royals, so redolent of the true origins of modern Hornby, I.e. Tri-ang Railways, will be among the first arrivals of the year, ....

John

Indeed.  I think they’ve planned to have newish tools for key models.  I can see a multipack with a princess, say Silver King in BR green, Duchess of Montrose and 7013 Bristol Castle.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Clearwater said:

f they do produce a 100 year “special”, I’d have thought it would be at the collectable end of the market, a 2020 only model and priced at a premium.  I’d also aim for something that was in the £3-500 mark such that not only can they make a margin but also a decent chunk of cash for producing 3-5000 items.

2 hours ago, Dunsignalling said:

So something presented in a similar way to the 1937 Hornby O Gauge Princess Elizabeth?

Driver Clark says "Its fine!"

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

18 minutes ago, Clearwater said:

Indeed.  I think they’ve planned to have newish tools for key models.  I can see a multipack with a princess, say Silver King in BR green, Duchess of Montrose and 7013 Bristol Castle.

Not forgetting City Of Liverpool was in the range for quite a few years and fits in with Hornby's roots.

https://www.brightontoymuseum.co.uk/index/City_of_Liverpool_locomotive_46247_(Hornby_Dublo_3226)

Jason

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Another model not to be overlooked could be the LNER "Farewell" HST pack and the 7 Mk3's that were repainted into the original Blue/Grey livery to mark the end of the HST on the ECML. I wouldn't be surprised to see that in the 2020 Brochure as the HST was a well liked passenger train and I would certainly get one. 

• Agree 5

4 hours ago, Dunsignalling said:

My incredulity had nothing to do with the Atlantic, just the idea in your earlier post that building a replica LBSCR 4-4-2T would cost twice as much as doing a SECR 4-4-0 plus tender.

If starting with a blank sheet, I'd expect the I3 and E to present roughly equal engineering and financial challenges. Having much of the running gear required for the SECR tender provides a very good reason for making that choice, but it surely won't halve the total cost of the project.

Or did I misunderstand your original meaning?  I can easily accept that an E could be built for half the cost of the Atlantic.

John

I understand your incredulity, but it is basically what they have said and I am sure they looked at these 3 locos in more detail as potentials to build than we have. One thing given the number of SECR locos (most Wainwright types at that) on the line is that patterns for certain parts already exist which will save an awful lot of time. They can also look at the surviving D if some details on the original drawings are not clear too.

• Informative/Useful 2

1 hour ago, WishIHadAName said:

Retooled 14xx and a Skaledale set of Ashburton station buildings please. Perfect for a small branch line terminus layout :) 

A smart move might be to have brought the DJM design/tools out of administration, do some improvement on the chassis and release that.  Perhaps couple it to a new tooling of a GWR era autocoach to replace the ancient airfix version... However, given they did suburban GWR last year, I’d reckon that more likely for 2021 particularly given the timing of DJM’s demise.

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, tomparryharry said:

I'm not! Repeat not! D'you hear me?- Not! Oh, all right then....

Dear Mr. Kohler & team, can we have a nice little reworked 2721 pannier, with all of the bells & whistles.....

Us Western operators have been really good little boys & girls, for an rntire year. Yes! An entire year......

I'm not doing any wishlisting, you understand.....

Merry Christmas,

The Broad Gauge Blokes. 

Yesyesyesyes please!!!!

10 hours ago, Clearwater said:

Maybe a set of Hornby's progression of models would be good.

So progressing from Triang to Hornby Railways with tender drive examples and then to the modern Hornby and to finish it today,This would cover all four eras of Hornby and a perfect candidate would be a princess royal collection.

It was Rovex's first model and then went into a tender drive model then Hornby revamped the tooling to bring it to the super deatail era and then the future offering what will be relesed in 2020.

Would be a good collection to show the progression of the model train!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, MrJack47790 said:

So progressing from Triang to Hornby Railways with tender drive examples and then to the modern Hornby and to finish it today,This would cover all four eras of Hornby and a perfect candidate would be a princess royal collection.

It was Rovex's first model and then went into a tender drive model then Hornby revamped the tooling to bring it to the super deatail era and then the future offering what will be relesed in 2020.

Except that, AIUI, the demise of the old tender drives came about from the introduction of more stringent electrical interference regulations. The resulting  improvement in running quality and controllability was just a bonus....

John

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, MrJack47790 said:

There is a lot of sense to this.  Rovex's original Black Princess was the first train set for many of my generation, and there must have been hundreds of thousands produced.  The firm have, AFAIK, always had a Princess Elizabeth in the range, as well as others of the class.  The original Rovex version was pretty crude, but worked well enough and the grossly underscale Hornby Dublo locos were not much better.  Triang's first improvement to it to close the gap with the competition was to provide Walcheart's valve gear, and the loco was available with and without this at one time, there being a price difference.

The other possibility is the Jinty, which has also been in the range continuously since it's introduction.  I believe this was the first loco introduced under the Triang label, and a considerable advance in standards on the Princess.  Hornby Dublo's 0-6-0T was the R1, and there wasn't much to choose in terms of standards between them, yet the Jinty was half the price.  I had a Triang saddle tank with the Jinty mech, which ran superbly well and could be controlled down to a very low speed; it was a good load puller as well.  

• Like 1

The problem is there is loads of old trash models already in the market place.

Better doing what Bachmann did and put the current models in the set. I know the J72 was a bit long in the tooth at that point, but the 4MT was brand new.

https://www.hattons.co.uk/23463/bachmann_branchline_30_060_60th_anniversary_of_kader_box_set_with_j72_tank_loco_581_in_lner_livery_standar/stockdetail.aspx

Jason

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Next year's the 50th anniversary of the filming of The Railway Children on the Worth Valley.

Could Hornby beat Bachmann with an all-new 57xx pannier tank, one of which will be available in the film's GN&SR livery?

Whether they'll model the Metropolitan Railway's carriages that accompanied the pannier in the film is another matter.  

• Agree 1

I think there are a lot of 1:1 Heritage Railway builds in progress which require a lot of 'assistance' - normal inference correct.

Hornby could assist in supporting them by creating a few pre-emptive replicas ....

P2's are being built, which assuming safety legislation current at the time of 'final creation' permits, will be amazing on the main line .... !!

PoW 2007 is in the original shape, and very advanced.

CotN 2001 will be as 1st rebuilt with 'Bugatti nose' / A4 style.

Hornby already have the chassis and one body style, they just need to create the latter ... 

I think making these will increase the exposure of the general public to the huge efforts being made by these enthusiasts ...

Just a thought.

Al.

• Like 1

I'm in the fortunate position of having an empty OO-gauge wishlist.

The wishlist is for Arnold to do their SNCF single-unit railcar in a couple more private-owner liveries and perhaps rerun the Class 628 single-unit.

My prediction for OO is that there will be more budget 66s as these seem to be selling well at the expense of Bachmann, and that they will do too many and flood the market with them for a while.

A long shot is an upgraded and/or reissued Rivarossi Big Boy to celebrate the return to steam of one of the prototypes, though that may already have been done (I don't know in that respect).

Then again my predictions in such respects aren't exactly known for their accuracy....

Les

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Les1952 said:

The wishlist is for Arnold to do their SNCF single-unit railcar in a couple more private-owner liveries and perhaps rerun the Class 628 single-unit.

My prediction for OO is that there will be more budget 66s as these seem to be selling well at the expense of Bachmann, and that they will do too many and flood the market with them for a while.

A long shot is an upgraded and/or reissued Rivarossi Big Boy to celebrate the return to steam of one of the prototypes, though that may already have been done (I don't know in that respect).

Then again my predictions in such respects aren't exactly known for their accuracy....

Les

You won !

good guess.

the big boy was in 2019, they announced more 66’s in 2020 at Warley.

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Les1952 said:

Les

I only have the one  wishlist. Apart from the usual personal ramblings about Taff Vale A's and 04's, the real wishlist one is to acquire a really good MSC austerity, as per your photos from a few years back.  The money is still there, and it's never been used. If it hadn't been all of the fern-arkles going on, I would have one in my hot little hands. 

"to sleep, perchance to dream".