Hornby 2020 range "reveal date" = 6th Jan

phil gollin

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Roadrails said:

My kids want an Azuma, a Pendolino a 66 and a little steam engine. What appeals to them are the DCC noisess, and the future/present. However, Trainsim is more preferred nowadays....

It's great that Hornby just released a GWR train set consisting of HST and a centre carriage because they've used tooling which existed for years but they missed a trick by issuing the 5-car GWR IET and LNER Azuma (forthcoming) units only as premium-priced models.

The Southeastern Trains' Javelins were issued in both Railroad/train set and full-fat versions. 

I think an 800 or 802 could be issued in a train set version next year, the Transpennine livery would look visually stunning if sold as such.

Edited by gc4946
  • Agree 2

5 hours ago, D9020 Nimbus said:

The Arnold (DB) single-unit railcard is a 627. A 628 is a 2-car DMU. Fleischmann have modelled the later version of the 628, but the early version (628.0) has never been modelled in N (Lima did it in HO nearly 40 years ago.)

Many thanks - I stand corrected.  I used to have one but sold it with Furtwangen Ost - a nice model.

Les

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, gc4946 said:

I bet Hornby will announce an all-new class 86 ...

... with 86414 Frank Hornby released as a special commemorative edition  

‘Never thought of that. Indeed a good shout I think. Along with Duchess of Montrose, Sir Nigel Gresley, Bristol Castle  etc 

16 minutes ago, gc4946 said:

I bet Hornby will announce an all-new class 86 ...

... with 86414 Frank Hornby released as a special commemorative edition  

I think you have hit the nail on the head,  an 87 is an upgraded 86,  &  winks from Hornby Exhibition  that the 87 tooling was designed to make an 86

• Informative/Useful 1

Hornby have suceeded expectations again this year after their dark period a couple of years back - recently purchased the Toad 'E' Brake Van and only just this week the LMS 20T Brake Van, and the detail on them is phenomenal. I'm really hoping in the 100th year will have some absolute crackers. Well done for getting this far.

I would love to see some of their Pre-nationalisation coaching stock in Corporate Colours, but thats probably not high on Hornby's agenda, but a new Stanier BG in Blue wouldnt go amiss.

I'd also love to see a GCR 9N/LNER A5 for the first in RTR; If their recent steam locos are anything to go by then they will be able to do a cracking job.

Regards,

Brandon

*btw, this is my first post on the site in over 7 years! It honestly didnt feel that long ago i checked this site! 

7 hours ago, Legend said:

‘Never thought of that. Indeed a good shout I think. Along with Duchess of Montrose, Sir Nigel Gresley, Bristol Castle  etc 

and the wagons  backdated and same running numbers to resemble the Dublo models,  the EE type 1 Bo-Bo with oval buffers and ladders and the same  heritage treatment for all overlapping Dublo, /current models, the 08 diesel,  N2 0-6-2T, 8F etc

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Whatever models get chosen for commemorative editions, I think/hope we can expect them to come in suitably retro (1920s) style packaging.

However, I also consider that at least some of any "nostalgic" specials should hark back to Hornby's origins in O gauge tinplate rather than Dublo, the centenary of which doesn't come around until 2038.

I'm not an electric fan, but the idea of the Class 86 "Frank Hornby" mooted earlier does strike me as very apposite way of celebrating, in a single model, both the centenary and Hornby's current abilities.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

After reading through the previous pages of this topic here's my final speculation on new toolings about what'll be announced on 6th January.

2020 is the centenary of Hornby and there'll be celebrations including a bumper programme of new toolings and re-releases.

To honour the company's founder Frank Hornby, Hornby will announce a completely new 86 411 named after him in special packaging, as well as other versions of the 86/2 class in rail blue and InterCity swallow liveries. Provision will be made to backdate it to original AL6 version.

It's 20 years ago that the first new generation of Hornby's superdetailed steam locos arrived in the shops. The launch model, rebuilt MN 35028 Clan Line, will be re-released as an all-new tooling.

To celebrate Hornby's tinplate heritage, a brand new LNER D49 4-4-0 will be announced with tooling options for both Shire and Hunt classes, with correct combinations of details for both classes throughout their lives for the first time ever.  

Locos offered will be 249 Yorkshire and 201 Bramham Moor both in LNER green in special commemorative packaging.

A brand new Southern L1 4-4-0 will also be announced including A759 in olive green in special commemorative packaging.

Hornby also wants modellers to make up authentic formations. 

In tandem with the launch of Clan Line, a 1951 U class Pullman and a 21st century version SR gangwayed luggage van will be released to create an authentic Golden Arrow formation.

A set of matching LBSCR Stroudley 4-wheelers will be announced as a follow-up to their Terriers.

A newly tooled 1970s/80s era Mk1 BG without periscope, end steps and roof handrails on B4 bogies will be launched as part of a tie-up with Oxford Rail's Mk3 range to assemble an authentic WCML loco-hauled service; the DVT will also be reintroduced.

2020 is also the 60th anniversary of the Bluebell Railway's preservation. 

A commemorative train pack of Stepney, LSWR lav 3rd 320 and SR Maunsell BCK 6575, the carriages in blue, will be released. 

To top it all, long-desired Maunsell U 2-6-0 launched with Bluebell's 1638 in SR olive green but with future tooling provision for ex-River class rebuilds.

2020 is also the centenary of the introduction of several steam designs. 

An Urie S15 4-6-0 will be released.

An original design NER B16 4-6-0 will surely be welcomed as a companion to their Q6.

Hornby wants to develop the Scottish market further; a Great North of Scotland Rly F (LNER D40) 4-4-0 introduced that year will be released in several liveries including preserved 49 Gordon Highlander.

Finally, Hornby will release a retooled 4VEP to correct several weaknesses and it'll be offered in blue/grey (non-refurbished) and Connex (refurbished).

Edited by gc4946
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

13 hours ago, Pandora said:

I think you have hit the nail on the head,  an 87 is an upgraded 86,  &  winks from Hornby Exhibition  that the 87 tooling was designed to make an 86

and Heljan do surprisingly seem to have avoided 86/2s with producing 86/0, 86/4 and 86/6

2 hours ago, gc4946 said:

Finally, Hornby will release a retooled 4VEP to correct several weaknesses and it'll be offered in blue/grey (non-refurbished) and Connex (refurbished).

Actually, you've just given me another thought there. So far we've had the 4 VEP (Just about) from Hornby, and the 4 CEP from Bachmann. But, no sign as of yet of a ready to run 4 CIG / BIG. I wonder who will be the first to bring this to market, as CIG's did end up in the South East alongside VEPs, CEPs, VOPs and COPs. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, philiprporter said:

Yes the more I read the more the 86 seems like a good bet. My original guess/wish of APT and class 81 may need revising to APT and 86 then! But as others have said, I suspect a class 81 will come from one of the manufacturers at some stage. 

and if Hornby get possessive over 'their' classes to model, the 86 would definitely fit that. They wont fend off competitors with slapping a new livery on the 40+ year old existing tooling!

15 minutes ago, GordonC said:

and if Hornby get possessive over 'their' classes to model, the 86 would definitely fit that. They wont fend off competitors with slapping a new livery on the 40+ year old existing tooling!

It would not surprise if Hornby did!

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, GordonC said:

They wont fend off competitors with slapping a new livery on the 40+ year old existing tooling!

But they would take a nice bite of the cherry, especially if they can get it to market months before any super-detailed competitor.  They have form...   cough eg: Class 66 cough

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Am I the only one that thinks it's a bit mendacious for Hornby to be claiming this as a Centennial.  The company we know as Hornby is genetically Rovex/Triang, and Hornby Dublo ceased to exist along with the rest of Frank Hornby's Meccano empire many years ago in the late 60s.  Hornby 0 gauge had already disappeared by that time, and some of the Hornby Dublo products continued in production under the Wrenn banner.  

Triang had bought the rights to the Hornby name and rebranded itself as Triang Hornby, then after a while dropped the Triang, as the Hornby name had more market presence than Triang, despite no ex-Hornby Dublo products being available in the 'Hornby' range.  Wrenn went out of business in 2015, and some ex Hornby Dublo wagon toolings are still being produced by Dapol.  

Hornby, the trading name, was a very sensible acquisition for Triang Railways, enabling them to dispose of the competition (Wrenn were, arguably, servicing a different market and in any case became part of the Triang empire eventually) and identify with what was then and still is the default household name for model railways in the UK.  Go to your local pub, ask around, and see how many people have ever heard of Bachmann, never mind the likes of Wrenn or Dapol, and how many are aware that Airfix ever made anything other than construction kits of aircraft and battleships.  They will all have heard of Hornby, meaning Hornby Dublo, and one or two will tell you about the Duchess of Montrose 3 rail set in the attic; 'it must be worth a bomb nowadays, they're collector's items you know...'.

Have a beer while you are there.  

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

19 hours ago, Legend said:

Given Hornby like to get the most out of existing tooling, there are a couple of A1/A3s that might appear next year. LNER 2555 'Centenary' springs to mind with an outside chance of classmate 'Spearmint' appearing in its post war renumbering guise. Number 100 to save anyone looking it up.

Edited by Tramshed
spelling
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

Am I the only one that thinks it's a bit mendacious for Hornby to be claiming this as a Centennial.  The company we know as Hornby is genetically Rovex/Triang, and Hornby Dublo ceased to exist along with the rest of Frank Hornby's Meccano empire many years ago in the late 60s.

All companies do this, basing age around the first company that started the lineage.

But, having just checked Wikipedia, I would also point out despite some of the comments this is not the centenary of Hornby the company, but rather the centenary of the introduction of Hornby Trains brand which is a different thing.

The first Hornby train was released by Meccano in 1920, but Meccano itself dates back to 1901.

But as you posted, the Hornby "brand" continued for 100 years even though the company underneath changed multiple times.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hornby_Railways

It's marketing flim-flam, in the same way the current British (London) Airways is claiming to be 100 despite technically only being formed on merger of BEA and BOAC in 1974 or privatisation in the 1980s, by claiming lineage back to the private airlines that were formed after WW1.  It fools the gullible sheeple that we live amongst.

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

I always thought that the reason "Triang" was dropped from Triang-Hornby" was that when Lines Brothers went bust, the Triang name was sold (along with the prams) to Barclay Securities, so couldn't then be sold to Dunbee-Combex-Marx when they bought the railway side.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, gc4946 said:

After reading through the previous pages of this topic here's my final speculation on new toolings about what'll be announced on 6th January.

2020 is the centenary of Hornby and there'll be celebrations including a bumper programme of new toolings and re-releases.

To honour the company's founder Frank Hornby, Hornby will announce a completely new 86 411 named after him in special packaging, as well as other versions of the 86/2 class in rail blue and InterCity swallow liveries. Provision will be made to backdate it to original AL6 version.

It's 20 years ago that the first new generation of Hornby's superdetailed steam locos arrived in the shops. The launch model, rebuilt MN 35028 Clan Line, will be re-released as an all-new tooling.

To celebrate Hornby's tinplate heritage, a brand new LNER D49 4-4-0 will be announced with tooling options for both Shire and Hunt classes, with correct combinations of details for both classes throughout their lives for the first time ever.  

Locos offered will be 249 Yorkshire and 201 Bramham Moor both in LNER green in special commemorative packaging.

A brand new Southern L1 4-4-0 will also be announced including A759 in olive green in special commemorative packaging.

Hornby also wants modellers to make up authentic formations. 

In tandem with the launch of Clan Line, a 1951 U class Pullman and a 21st century version SR gangwayed luggage van will be released to create an authentic Golden Arrow formation.

A set of matching LBSCR Stroudley 4-wheelers will be announced as a follow-up to their Terriers.

A newly tooled 1970s/80s era Mk1 BG without periscope, end steps and roof handrails on B4 bogies will be launched as part of a tie-up with Oxford Rail's Mk3 range to assemble an authentic WCML loco-hauled service; the DVT will also be reintroduced.

2020 is also the 60th anniversary of the Bluebell Railway's preservation. 

A commemorative train pack of Stepney, LSWR lav 3rd 320 and SR Maunsell BCK 6575, the carriages in blue, will be released. 

To top it all, long-desired Maunsell U 2-6-0 launched with Bluebell's 1638 in SR olive green but with future tooling provision for ex-River class rebuilds.

2020 is also the centenary of the introduction of several steam designs. 

An Urie S15 4-6-0 will be released.

An original design NER B16 4-6-0 will surely be welcomed as a companion to their Q6.

Hornby wants to develop the Scottish market further; a Great North of Scotland Rly F (LNER D40) 4-4-0 introduced that year will be released in several liveries including preserved 49 Gordon Highlander.

That lot should keep them going most of the way through to the bicentenary.:jester:

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
29 minutes ago, Tramshed said:

Given Hornby like to get the most out of existing tooling, there are a couple of A1/A3s that might appear next year. LNER 2555 'Centenary' springs to mind with an outside chance of classmate 'Spearmint' appearing in its post war renumbering guise. Number 100 to save anyone looking it up.

If the chorus of irate comments about misshapen A3s every time yet another new one gets released with a ski-jump running plate is anything to go by, they got "the most" out of the existing tooling quite some time ago.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Agree 1

20 minutes ago, Tramshed said:

There's another 100 far more apt for Hornby.

LB&SCR_E2_class_with_short_side_tanks.jp

Jason

• Like 6