Hornby 2020 range "reveal date" = 6th Jan

phil gollin

On 03/12/2019 at 10:45, wombatofludham said:

It would be nice if Hornby celebrated it's "100th" anniversary by continuing the trend started last year of going back to it's roots, and producing contemporary items to appeal to younger models.  In the past they produced models like the APT and Class 58 before the real things hit the rails, so this year it would be a good idea to produce something like their 800 in TPE or Hell Trains liveries, plus a Greater Anglia bi-mode Flirt, which with two identical articulated passenger areas and a centre "power pack" in which to hide the motor, plus being bi-mode, would bound to be an attractive model that ought not to cost a huge amount to tool up for.

Won't say it won't happen, but it would be dangerous to announce a Flirt at the moment given the uncertainty around future versions and any modifications they may need.

Far better to wait a short period before doing tooling so you can accommodate all the variations that appear and thus get a better return on the tooling costs.

With that said, I wouldn't be surprised if someone hasn't already come to agreement behind the scenes to do the Flirts at some point.

On 03/12/2019 at 15:39, wombatofludham said:

I think our Welsh Flirts will be split between 11 diesel only and 24 tri-mode, electric, battery and diesel, in a mix of 3 and 4 car.  It suggests that they will externally at least be identical to the AGA units, I expect they will be the same to allow for a quicker entry into service, no need to go through any new approval process other than clearances and possibly an approval for the battery option.

Possibly/likely to have external changes to accommodate the batteries, the most obvious change being to make space for the batteries (whether it be underneath or a longer power pack).  Large battery packs also tend to need cooling/ventilation, which may require changes to the shell depending on where the batteries (and the associated electronics/equipment for charging) are located.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, The Johnster said:

Current Bachmann prices for 57xx and 8750 are £114.95, and the 56xx, arguably more loco than the 94xx, comes in at the same price for the black liveried version, £119.95 for fully lined BR.  1Fs and Jinties are sub £100, by 5p, and the 1P  is not priced yet.  Like the 94xx (£124.95), prototype pictures of this loco are shown in the online catalogue.

All older items that have already paid off their tooling.

And sadly tooling costs are rarely proportional to the size of the models given how relatively little different there is in model form.

8 hours ago, The Johnster said:

The nearest comparable loco in the Hornby range is probably the J50, a very well reviewed item and well up to the standard of the Bachmanns in both detail and running; it probably pulls better.  Hornby are able to knock it out and presumably make enough profit for their bus fare and a bag of chips on the way home for just shy of £90.  I see no reason why a Hornby 94xx needs to be much more than a tenner over that,

Again, older item, and arguably Hornby are failing to make enough profit on it given the rather large losses Hornby keeps posting year after year.  And also currently lists for £94 on Hornby's website.

Also note last year's Peckett B2 at £110

• Agree 2

I think the way to look at it is, that its a big anniversary, so there will be a few specials.  I think it really depends how Hornby want to celebrate, as in new toolings and looking ahead, or looking back at its Heritage, or maybe even a bit of both.  Afterall, they have to satisfy shareholders and New Tools sell best!  

The most iconic and best sellers have been the A3/A4 so would expect that to feature somehow, and possibly Mr Kohlers favourite - the 0-4-0?  The APT for modern modellers and seeing that Hornby used to do one, could be a possibility - just if so, I hope they have come up with a suitable pantograph option.  Re-introduction of the Rocket?  A celebratory HST pack?  Who knows perhaps there could even be a naming, in partnership with a TOC?

I think if they do limited editions, then 1000 is too much, and is more than a standard production run, if you look in the 2016 handbook where they state a lower number - I think it says 600-800 is typical.

Regarding modern items then a pair of 50's in GBRf would go well.  Class 87, then Original Intercity is perhaps the way to go?  Class 60 - GBRF would be a popular one.  A modern wagon, would really go towards challenging some of the newer market entrants.  At the end of the day, if you do the locos, why not develop the rolling stock range?

Regards,

C.

I'm looking forward to seeing the colourful new liveries of Pecketts, particularly the 0-6-0Ts as none of the released liveries quite took my fancy.

Whilst I am more interested in which liveries the next lot of Rails terriers will be in (hoping for Fenchurch as preserved as per the O gauge release), Hornby's choices have been less predictable so I am interested to see their new liveries.

Someone else has mentioned Bulleids in crimson/cream - this must be a shoe in! Especially with a blue Merchant Navy on the way. I'd quite like to see them produce some W or S numbered Mk1s in this livery too, but find that as these regions had their own strong identities, crimson/cream Mk1s in model form tend to get the E or M numbers (though Bachmann did do a limited number of Ws a while back).

As for new stuff tooling? I have found it increasingly hard to predict. Best guess would be a Manor or a SR Q.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, atom3624 said:

I think it would be nice, and relatively easy for Hornby to produce an as-preserved 850 Lord Nelson, in preserved green livery.

Al.

If that is with smoke deflectors, 'SOUTHERN 850' on tender, Red cabside plaque and in Malachite Green then definitely seconded here!

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 05/12/2019 at 18:22, JSpencer said:

2020 is also 40 series since the children's series, God's Wonderful Railway was aired: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/God's_Wonderful_Railway

A manor was quite prominant in the last 3 episodes.

Now now!. Don't be making me feel old...   ;) 

Available on DVD for about a tenner. Well worth it. Probably the most accurate TV portrayals of railways I've seen. Funny that it was made for kids.

A clip for those who don't know it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOBWLVcoDvU

Pssst. The most memorable thing in the whole series is in that clip of the kid getting upset about the locomotive going through at night something like "that's not one of ours!". I can tell him now it was 8233. A new 8F is needed, the current version is looking very dated in some aspects.

I think Shannon is highly unlikely. Or should that be Highley....  

Jason

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

Now now!. Don't be making me feel old...   ;) 

Available on DVD for about a tenner. Well worth it. Probably the most accurate TV portrayals of railways I've seen. Funny that it was made for kids.

A clip for those who don't know it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOBWLVcoDvU

Pssst. The most memorable thing in the whole series is in that clip of the kid getting upset about the locomotive going through at night something like "that's not one of ours!". I can tell him now it was 8233. A new 8F is needed, the current version is looking very dated in some aspects.

I think Shannon is highly unlikely. Or should that be Highley....  

Jason

I do also think Hornby's Stanier 5MT needs an update as well, plus that way we can also get the Stephonson Valve Gear and Caprotti Valve Gear variants as rn they only have one variant available in the tooling.

• Like 1

On 05/12/2019 at 19:04, dogbox321 said:

and possibly Mr Kohlers favourite - the 0-4-0?

Three-pack containing the ex-Thomas 0-4-0 in three separate liveries - Great Northern, Midland, and LNWR, commemorating Hornby's fine history of producing fictitious 0-4-0s in brightly coloured liveries!

• Funny 2

On 05/12/2019 at 19:04, dogbox321 said:

I think the way to look at it is, that its a big anniversary, so there will be a few specials.  I think it really depends how Hornby want to celebrate, as in new toolings and looking ahead, or looking back at its Heritage, or maybe even a bit of both.  Afterall, they have to satisfy shareholders and New Tools sell best!  

The most iconic and best sellers have been the A3/A4 so would expect that to feature somehow, and possibly Mr Kohlers favourite - the 0-4-0?  The APT for modern modellers and seeing that Hornby used to do one, could be a possibility - just if so, I hope they have come up with a suitable pantograph option.  Re-introduction of the Rocket?  A celebratory HST pack?  Who knows perhaps there could even be a naming, in partnership with a TOC?

I think if they do limited editions, then 1000 is too much, and is more than a standard production run, if you look in the 2016 handbook where they state a lower number - I think it says 600-800 is typical.

Regarding modern items then a pair of 50's in GBRf would go well.  Class 87, then Original Intercity is perhaps the way to go?  Class 60 - GBRF would be a popular one.  A modern wagon, would really go towards challenging some of the newer market entrants.  At the end of the day, if you do the locos, why not develop the rolling stock range?

Regards,

C.

According to Mr Kohler the APT mould have destroyed :( ,

I would love a new tooling but probably won't happen anytime soon.

I can still dream!

Also to go with a class 60 a cheaper, more readily available Drax biomass wagon would be great.

For HST pack they could model the LNER BR original coloured HST as will be used on the LNER HST farewell tour.

Edited by MrJack47790

1 hour ago, MrJack47790 said:

According to Mr Kohler the APT mould have destroyed :( ,

I would love a new tooling but probably won't happen anytime soon.

I can still dream!

Also to go with a class 60 a cheaper, more readily available Drax biomass wagon would be great.

For HST pack they could model the LNER BR original coloured HST as will be used on the LNER HST farewell tour.

Yes an original BR Blue HST re-release would be wonderful. The more I think the more I'm thinking/hoping/imagining this could be a release of several iconic trains from the ages.

For the D&E era an early AC electric, the original blue/yellow HST, the APT (from DJ Models CADs perhaps?), the IEP in new liveries and I can't help wonder if a 91 will also appear, albeit probably not a new tooling given the Cavalex model. A kind of 'trains through the ages' set of releases to celebrate several key events/anniversaries.