Hornby 2020 range "reveal date" = 6th Jan

phil gollin

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, D9020 Nimbus said:

I always thought that the reason "Triang" was dropped from Triang-Hornby" was that when Lines Brothers went bust, the Triang name was sold (along with the prams) to Barclay Securities, so couldn't then be sold to Dunbee-Combex-Marx when they bought the railway side.

Yes that’s correct. It had to be renamed Hornby Railways because the Tri-ang bit got sold off preventing this from being used . Otherwise we might still have Tri-ang Hornby .  And I think modern Hornby has more to do with Tri-ang than the original Hornby , so 100 years is stretching it a bit . It has more to do with Tri-ang as it still uses some of the mouldings and is based in Margate in the factory that was specially built for Tri-ang . Of course you could argue that since transfer of all manufacturing to China is it the same company as any of them?   Still hopefully it will give us a good range of models on Jan 6th and a nice revamped, maybe retro , catalogue . 

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, gc4946 said:

After reading through the previous pages of this topic here's my final speculation on new toolings about what'll be announced on 6th January.

2020 is the centenary of Hornby and there'll be celebrations including a bumper programme of new toolings and re-releases.

To honour the company's founder Frank Hornby, Hornby will announce a completely new 86 411 named after him in special packaging, as well as other versions of the 86/2 class in rail blue and InterCity swallow liveries. Provision will be made to backdate it to original AL6 version.

It's 20 years ago that the first new generation of Hornby's superdetailed steam locos arrived in the shops. The launch model, rebuilt MN 35028 Clan Line, will be re-released as an all-new tooling.

To celebrate Hornby's tinplate heritage, a brand new LNER D49 4-4-0 will be announced with tooling options for both Shire and Hunt classes, with correct combinations of details for both classes throughout their lives for the first time ever.  

Locos offered will be 249 Yorkshire and 201 Bramham Moor both in LNER green in special commemorative packaging.

A brand new Southern L1 4-4-0 will also be announced including A759 in olive green in special commemorative packaging.

Hornby also wants modellers to make up authentic formations. 

In tandem with the launch of Clan Line, a 1951 U class Pullman and a 21st century version SR gangwayed luggage van will be released to create an authentic Golden Arrow formation.

A set of matching LBSCR Stroudley 4-wheelers will be announced as a follow-up to their Terriers.

A newly tooled 1970s/80s era Mk1 BG without periscope, end steps and roof handrails on B4 bogies will be launched as part of a tie-up with Oxford Rail's Mk3 range to assemble an authentic WCML loco-hauled service; the DVT will also be reintroduced.

2020 is also the 60th anniversary of the Bluebell Railway's preservation. 

A commemorative train pack of Stepney, LSWR lav 3rd 320 and SR Maunsell BCK 6575, the carriages in blue, will be released. 

To top it all, long-desired Maunsell U 2-6-0 launched with Bluebell's 1638 in SR olive green but with future tooling provision for ex-River class rebuilds.

2020 is also the centenary of the introduction of several steam designs. 

An Urie S15 4-6-0 will be released.

An original design NER B16 4-6-0 will surely be welcomed as a companion to their Q6.

Hornby wants to develop the Scottish market further; a Great North of Scotland Rly F (LNER D40) 4-4-0 introduced that year will be released in several liveries including preserved 49 Gordon Highlander.

Finally, Hornby will release a retooled 4VEP to correct several weaknesses and it'll be offered in blue/grey (non-refurbished) and Connex (refurbished).

You forgot the severn valley railway’s 50th anniversary and R249 MGRs.. an iconic modern model for its day.. those CDAs did well too, in all that lot.

looking at the SVR working steam fleet theres 1 lots of people want, another 3 we could easily get(but 1 done already twice) , 1 that would fit the curious.. 3 have already been done, and then theres the little obscure one..

Edited by adb968008

55 minutes ago, Phil Parker said:

Hornby/Tri-ang/Rovex history is a can of worms. The current firm have picked the best, and easiest to explain, date available and hung some marketing on it. Is this so terrible? If it is, tough, that's what they are doing. If you want to insult those happy to go along with "sheeple" or accuse them of lying, this is more your problem than theirs. Most people will just enjoy it and being badgered by those desperate to show off their knowledge of the "correct" history will just result in eye-rolling.

Well said, we are here for enjoyment, I hope.

I think Pat Hammond would be pretty comfortable with the 1920-2020 idea, and he knows more than most about this history.

Meanwhile I have a sense of pleasurable anticipation for 6 Jan.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, mdvle said:

I would also point out despite some of the comments this is not the centenary of Hornby the company, but rather the centenary of the introduction of Hornby Trains brand which is a different thing.

Fair enough.  It just doesn't feel right to me though, and hasn't since Triang Hornby dropped the Triang  name from their trading identity.  Maybe I am the only one that is bothered by this.  But the last thing i want is to be thought of as someone badgering sheeple with my encyclopedic knowledge of Meccano/Hornby/Hornby Dublo/Rovex/Triang/Triang Hornby/Hornby/Hornby Hobbies' tortuous history.  

And I'm not going to attempt to claim that my discomfort, which is something that I've learned to live with over the decades since the word 'Triang' disappeared, is going to prevent me looking forward to what, if any, goodies there are in the bag for me on 6th January!

Edited by The Johnster

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, The Johnster said:

Fair enough.  It just doesn't feel right to me though, and hasn't since Triang Hornby dropped the Triang  name from their trading identity.  Maybe I am the only one that is bothered by this.  But the last thing i want is to be thought of as someone badgering sheeple with my encyclopedic knowledge of Meccano/Hornby/Hornby Dublo/Rovex/Triang/Triang Hornby/Hornby/Hornby Hobbies' tortuous history.  

And I'm not going to attempt to claim that my discomfort, which is something that I've learned to live with over the decades since the word 'Triang' disappeared, is going to prevent me looking forward to what, if any, goodies there are in the bag for me on 6th January!

So in which case vote with your feet and don’t buy anything from Hornby in 2020.

Meanwhile the majority will enjoy a bit of marketing fun and will hopefully pick up something for our model railways.

• Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, The Johnster said:

Fair enough.  It just doesn't feel right to me though, and hasn't since Triang Hornby dropped the Triang  name from their trading identity.  Maybe I am the only one that is bothered by this.

You really haven't read the thread have you :P

Meanwhile I would like to see the 300,000,000th anniversary of coal deposition in the UK marked properly (there will of course be some dispute here about the precise date).  My preference would be for the welded version of the 21t hopper which afaik hasn't been available rtr before.  Hornby's recent form on steam era mineral hoppers is excellent and they seem to have got through the big four brake vans now.

Also for pity's sake stop messing around and do an LMS driving trailer from your brake third.  It isn't our fault you've let Bachmann do all the suitable locos.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

When you think of it Hornby have to introduce something eyecatching that is a one off and they can make money from . Bringing out more 86s 47s Merchant Navies will help that but isn’t the show stopper . The more I think of it , to celebrate the 100th anniversary I think Hornby will give us Stephensons Rocket and matching coaches . It’s a model that transcends Modelling steam, diesel, privatisation , big 4 etc . Anyone who models specific eras might just go and buy Rocket as a keepsake  anyway .  Hornby have shown what they can do with small mechanisms in their new industrial diesel Shunter. I know Tri-ang had a model in the 60s but I would expect a new model to have a good modern spec.  Lots of other re introductions and possibly along Hornby Dublo lines , Duchess of Montrose etc and probably another couple of big namers as that’s Hornby territory , I’m thinking an A4 fronted P2 for instance . 

Anniversaries/centenaries can be a strange thing. 

I doubt anyone complained when the LNER celebrated "their" centenary in 1925 when they were two years old. As pointed out above they even named a locomotive celebrating the fact. Likewise the LMS celebrated theirs in 1930. Neither of them exactly messed about, imagine putting something like this on now.

https://railwaywondersoftheworld.com/railway_centenary.html

Jason

• Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, Dunsignalling said:

The thought does occur that Hornby have chosen to mark the centenary of models that were produced in O Gauge.  :angel:

I suppose they could do a scaled-down version of the below using their generic 0-4-0 chassis... for God's sakes don't give them ideas though!

hornbyogaugeno1set.jpg.1ed87faee074d7c0a5611fa246194fdc.jpg

• Funny 1

6 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

Anniversaries/centenaries can be a strange thing. 

I doubt anyone complained when the LNER celebrated "their" centenary in 1925 when they were two years old. As pointed out above they even named a locomotive celebrating the fact. Likewise the LMS celebrated theirs in 1930. Neither of them exactly messed about, imagine putting something like this on now.

Absolutely, and I certainly didn't complain when I received my 25 year service award from Network Rail in 2003, even though I had actually worked for much of that time for BR, a bit of time for Railtrack, and hardly any time at all for NR !

• Like 2

9 hours ago, bart2day said:

Surely a new ‘Flying banana’ HST set in post 2016 Network Rail livery is extremely likely as is a Class 802 in Transpennine livery?

Didn't they do the HST last year, just sold out really quickly?

https://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/network-rail-mk3-new-measurement-train-conference-coach-975814.html

So wish one of the companies would make the electrostar/turbostar range....