Searching for old Mod Mag article on Signal ops using IC NAND/AND gates etc.

dasatcopthorne

I think it might have been Model Railway News, I think somewhere between 1978 and 1981. 

I'll see if I can spot the issues;  I remember the articles; they taught me quite a bit about basic digital electronics when I was at school.   I did keep the articles, but where they might be several house moves later isn't certain.

- Nigel

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, dasatcopthorne said:

Hi Guys.

Is there any chance someone has kept a series of articles on Colour light signal operations using ICs containings NAND & AND Gates etc., and showing Truth Tables

It was probably in the 70s and appeared in The Modeller or The Constructor.

Thanks

Dave

I certainly remember such an article. In fact I made a test board which seemed to work, until I reversed the power supply or something and a chip blew up!

Trouble is where?

• 4 months later...

The articles were in Model Railways in 1979-80 - I've got the 1980 articles ('4- Signals', '5- Conclusions', '6- Clocks and flashing lights', '7- Multiplexing' and '8- Decoding'). The 1979 articles were in the August, November and December editions.

On 12/11/2019 at 23:08, jpendle said:

I remember doing traffic lights as a science project at school in the late 80's. It involved a 555 timer and a bunch of NAND gates.

I know it's not the same but the principles would be.

Regards,

John P

I remember having to design a pedestrian operated traffic light controller (can't remember now if it was a simple crossing or a road junction) using discrete logic as a question in one of my Electronic Engineering BSc exams in the mid 1980s.

Sounds like traffic lights were the in-thing in 1980s education!