Pulse Magnatizer

I Have been reading a web site were a student made a simple pulse magnatizer.

https://instructable.com/id/How-to-make-your-own-magnatizer/

it uses the following circuit and components

- a 1N4007 diode
- a DPST switch (I get mine from an old computer)
- a Push button switch (or how it is called)
- a jack and a capacitor(230 uF and 400 V) from an old power supply unit
- a plastic, wood, Plexiglas, or any material you found, but NO metals like iron, steel, aluminum, copper or any metal that are atracted
by magnets.
- a 15 W, 220 V lamp

- copper wire for making a coil (0.6 mm diameter for 800 turns)
- something on you can spool your coil (I use a plastic support from solder with inner diameter 20 mm [don't use something that have the inner diameter bigger than 20 mm because then your magnetizer will not work])
- a cable for your jack (I use an ordinary cable for PC supply), why I use it ? because it can be removed.
-two plastic panels (I made them because my case needs panels )

- 20 cm of thick copper wire (2-3 mm diameter) 

image.png.a72d001aaef2bac8cba14de41a120b18.png

Not being an electrical engineer I need to know is this strong enough to rematnatize my Triang x04 etc magnets. The full article covers some apparent safety issues ALL I need to know will it do what I want. If not has anyone got any othere ideas.

With only a single coil you would have to dismantle the motor to fit the magnet inside the coil. An improvement would be to have two coils in series, and with iron cores to that the complete motor could be slid between the coils (after using a compass to check the N-S orientation). I suspect if you aren't set up for a lot of experimentation you would be better off finding somebody offering a remagnetizing service.

Edited by AdamsRadial
  • Agree 1

I used to use a pulse magnetiser in industry. It was for magnetising electrical instruments and relays. I don't know the spec. but it was floor standing the size of a large fridge and must have weighed at least 500lbs. It contained a large bank of capacitors and their charging system  and the magnetising coil was about 10" in diameter and 8" tall. So all in all I suspect the circuit shown will not cut it. Also the motor for magnetising needs to be assembled with its pole pieces for magnetising.

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, RED ONE said:

I Have been reading a web site were a student made a simple pulse magnatizer.

https://instructable.com/id/How-to-make-your-own-magnatizer/

it uses the following circuit and components

- a 1N4007 diode
- a DPST switch (I get mine from an old computer)
- a Push button switch (or how it is called)
- a jack and a capacitor(230 uF and 400 V) from an old power supply unit
- a plastic, wood, Plexiglas, or any material you found, but NO metals like iron, steel, aluminum, copper or any metal that are atracted
by magnets.
- a 15 W, 220 V lamp

- copper wire for making a coil (0.6 mm diameter for 800 turns)
- something on you can spool your coil (I use a plastic support from solder with inner diameter 20 mm [don't use something that have the inner diameter bigger than 20 mm because then your magnetizer will not work])
- a cable for your jack (I use an ordinary cable for PC supply), why I use it ? because it can be removed.
-two plastic panels (I made them because my case needs panels )

- 20 cm of thick copper wire (2-3 mm diameter) 

image.png.a72d001aaef2bac8cba14de41a120b18.png

Not being an electrical engineer I need to know is this strong enough to rematnatize my Triang x04 etc magnets. The full article covers some apparent safety issues ALL I need to know will it do what I want. If not has anyone got any othere ideas.

That looks lethal don't do it.

• Agree 1

That looks something like the circuit we used to use for regenerating cathode ray tubes in TV sets and yes it was potentially lethal! There were lots of 220μF 400V capacitors about then, but they are difficult to find today.

I have seen it suggested to use 30 turns of thick wire and a car battery, but have never had the courage to try it!

5 hours ago, RedgateModels said:

I'll have the beast with me at Warley 

Is that beast of the Dodds menagerie?

I couldn't get the OP's link to open so I googled and found it here https://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-make-your-own-Metal-Pulse-Magnetizer/

The article rather casually says this device could kill you. For those thinking of playing around I'll just expand a little - yes, it's potentially lethal, not just because 240v AV is being rectified and used to charge the capacitor, but the discharge, of up to 50A at 240V DC even for a fraction of a second is extremely dangerous, far more so than a few milliamps at 240V AC. Google why AC won the battle over DC for household supplies to discover more on this. A few microamps of HV DC might make your hair stand up and your muscles twitch (grab hold of a spark plug lead on an old coil and points car ignition system to get an idea of it) , but 50A is going to cause intense muscle seizures and possible skin burns at the very best. Death at the worst.

The circuit could be used at a much lower voltage, 15V AC would be capable of charging the capacitor, albeit more slowly. Putting two windings in series with steel cores in them would create a suitable magnetic path through a complete motor. Increasing the capacitor value would increase the energy discharged through the coils and hence the strength of the remagetising effect.

Edited by AdamsRadial
Tracking down original article

If anyone decides to build this (I wouldn't advise it!) make sure the case is earthed and add a fuse in the mains feed. Neither the push button switch* nor the capacitor is likely to last very long if required to supply 50A!, but I suppose it's not the sort of device that will get a lot of use.

* A shorted 220μF capacitor charged to  300 odd volts - it will charge to the peak mains voltage - produces a hefty spark. TV sets were prone to having these still charged even after the set was switched off and a screwdriver across the terminals avoided getting a nasty belt.... This didn't do the screwdriver any good of course.

Edited by Il Grifone

How is it 'free' if it requires an expensive 9V Battery and ten expensive spark plugs?

A 32W bulb will run about 30 hours on a single unit of electricity (assuming its power factor is 1).

Edited by Il Grifone

THANK YOU for your help I got the answers I expected. I am in my early 70's and have spent all my life trying to get rid of my curly hair so as most of you said I will not be trying to build something so dangerous. The choice is between a visit to the NEC or replacement magnets.