Environment Conditions

A local museum has been given the opportunity to acquire a historically significant model of a Railroad Station and is reviewing if it fits with their future plans.  It is not clear at this time if it would be shown as a static exhibit under perspex or as a partial operating layout for visitors, i.e. press a button and a train goes round.  The layout is on 1/2 plywood or 1/2 boards and is well supported in both the x and y planes.  Track appears to be glued down and is either hand made  and/or very early Peco code 100 on the fibre base.  As a part of their review they have to cover potential operating costs including the winter when the museum closes and outside temperatures can drop as low as -40C.   Does anyone out there have any facts and/or thoughts on the minimum and maximum environmental storage conditions.  Specifically min and max temps as well as min and max humidity and any other requirements? 

Thanks

Jim Theaker

Canada

My experience from a basement in Switzerland with regards to humidity…

Recommended humidity is between 30-50%. I use a de-humidifier to keep the humidity levels under control and this works fine apart from having to empty the bucket every few days during the summer, when humidity levels can creep up to 75%. Most dehumidifiers have an option to collect the water in a bucket  or send it through a pipe to a drain. During the colder months humidity is not such an issue; I looked yesterday and the level was 45% with outside temps in the low single figures.

If outside temps are that low, the level of building insulation will clearly have a bearing on the inside temp. I’d be looking at a thermostatically controlled heater that stops the temps dropping too low. What “too low” is – I’m not sure, but around 10-15 deg. perhaps?

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Theakerr said:

...Does anyone out there have any facts and/or thoughts on the minimum and maximum environmental storage conditions.  Specifically min and max temps as well as min and max humidity and any other requirements? ...

The 'max temperature + humidity' aspect is relatively simple: whatever the builder/owner exposed it too, for which I would hope a well informed guess can be made. Control of humidity by the usual museum method for your climate.

The 'cold soak' implied by the winter shutdown is more likely to be the environmental condition which this model has not been exposed to, would be my thought. There may well be materials in the construction such as tin based solders and castings known to fail if temperatures below 0C are sustained, and many adhesives won't like this either. I would think of some localised space heating to hold the model at a minimum of 10C or thereabouts, with humidity control.

• Thanks 1