00 Great Central layout and a lot of projects!

PeterH

So an update on proceedings of late. A lot of my modelling time has been taken up with a model of the sadly demised ‘Crooked House’ pub, just got the mortar wash, roof and chimneys to do and it is done. Lights and interior may come along one day. I’ve spent some time away from that so need to spend a day or two to complete it. A separate update of that will come along when completed.

The GCR Barnum took a back foot while the pub is being built. When the pub is done I’ll finish the reassembly and assess.

I have obtained some GCR vans of 3-D printed and Bachmann chassis origin, they’ll be the next ‘side project’. Should be easy to do and I hope to bash them out over a few days.

Finally the layout itself, I’ve decided to take the plunge and commit fully to DCC. Wiring is not a strength of mine and the moderate simplicity of DCC wiring over DC section switches has won me over. The points and signals will still operate on the analogue method of SEEP point motors operated from a control panel.

The outer track is fully operational albeit using crocodile clips.

The inner loop is 2/3rds running with an isolated section between two points which needs jumping. Obviously eventually a proper bus wire will go in, not relying on crocodile clips!

With the commitment above the chipping of the fleet has commenced. I bought 10x 8-pin decoders from Rails and have started work upgrading compatible locomotives. With 90 in the fleet it will be a long and very expensive process.In saying that however not all will be upgraded as I do intend to slimline my motive power eventually. I did also have a few already DCC fitted for use on club layouts. 

A bit of a read but hopefully interesting. I’ve got time to work on the layout during the ‘off season’ at work (Chiltern Open Air Museum) so the intention is to be able to have a running session with guests by Christmas.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

After a few months working at it on and off we are very nearly complete with The Crooked House. Just lead flashing to complete it, and a small print job for the blackboard at the front. Eventually I’ll add an interior, the roof is only attached with tacky glue so I can removed it later down the line. Pretty happy with it!

IMG_1125.jpeg

IMG_1124.jpeg

IMG_1127.jpeg

IMG_1126.jpeg

• Like 6

• 2 months later...

So the lovely Cavalex 56s arrived the other day, then I decide to rip up track. 😂 With good reason though as I had gauging issues through the platform which needed addressing. I’ve done the inner loop which needs ballasting - the outer loop a hoover and clear up and then back down with new track. Awful job lifting it, no matter how careful you inevitably the track up.

In a less destructive part of the day I have started rewiring parts of the layout to DCC incorporating a bus wire.

IMG_1717.jpeg

IMG_1719.jpeg

• Like 2