Test track / Small Layout 4' x 3'2" 00 gauge

crackedmember

Hi, Everyone.

I am looking at building a small layout on a baseboard area of about 4' x 3'2".

Amongst other reasons I may get it finished this year.

This will primarily be a test track, but wil be fully worked up scenically. 

Would someone give me some advice on the minimun radius which new (espacially modern image) RTR dmus and locomtives can use.

None of my current diesel and electric locomotives are less than about 20 yrs old, hence the question.

I know there is no chance of getting a circuit of track suitable for at least one of my older collectable models.  This is a Graham Farish Black five which requires curves of at least 2' radius to run.

Also looking for ideas that would give some operational interest.  I would probably set it in the steam - diesel transition era for this.

I am not unduly worried by the complexity of any carpentry required for the baseboard.  Current intention is to use 4mm or 6mm plywood.

Clive Burdikin

• RMweb Gold

Hi Clive,

Most modern OO locos are designed for a minimum radius of 438mm or "R2". Small 0-4-0s will run on tighter radii but you might run into problems with the couplings to wagons.

If you made an oval with 438mm radius end curves on your board the track would be right up against the edges and so would present a scenic challenge.

A simple shunting layout is a more realistic proposition in the space and then minimum radii are much less of a problem.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, crackedmember said:

Would someone give me some advice on the minimum radius which new (especially modern image) RTR dmus and locomotives can use...

Although as mentioned above the minimum radius that current RTR product is designed for is R2, twin bogie vehicles will often go round - or can be worked on to go round - smaller radii. Because bogies are short wheelbase, it is the freedom of the bogies to pivot that is the usual limitation: but a limitation it is relatively easy to overcome, if you are both prepared to, and capable of, slightly modifying or adjusting models. Typical of such aspects are intentional 'stops' to restrict the bogies pivoting, or the wires from the pick ups acting as tethers limiting the pivoting.

• 2 weeks later...

I had a thought about bringing a branch off the inside of the main oval, leading up to a small terminus.  I appreciate that modern stock could not run on this.  However I have a lot of older models which will.   The top terminus would accomodate a 2 coach train using a pair of LNER 51'  carriages.

The track at the bottom right of the oval is intended for a possible extension to a fiddle yard.

Please note I  intend to take the branch off the inside of the oval using a PECO ST243 LH Curved turnout, but I could not find a template for it in Xtrkcad.  This is the original design which could be used to create a crossover between 1st and 2nd radius curves..

Test Track.pdf

Initial Design of top terminus.  I have not yet managed to master levels in Xtrkcad

Test Track top.pdf

Previous comments were much appreciated.

On 23/11/2019 at 13:01, crackedmember said:

I had a thought about bringing a branch off the inside of the main oval, leading up to a small terminus.  I appreciate that modern stock could not run on this.  However I have a lot of older models which will.   The top terminus would accomodate a 2 coach train using a pair of LNER 51'  carriages.

The track at the bottom right of the oval is intended for a possible extension to a fiddle yard.

Please note I  intend to take the branch off the inside of the oval using a PECO ST243 LH Curved turnout, but I could not find a template for it in Xtrkcad.  This is the original design which could be used to create a crossover between 1st and 2nd radius curves..

Test Track.pdf 62.97 kB · 22 downloads

Initial Design of top terminus.  I have not yet managed to master levels in Xtrkcad

Test Track top.pdf 53.05 kB · 17 downloads

Previous comments were much appreciated.

Basically your ideas won't work. The board is not big enough, 2nd radius only just squeezes round within 3ft 2" see doodle in AnyRail . (plan A) However if you must squeeze a quart into a thimble try plan B.   You need 2 1/2 " clearance above rail level so even with 2mm ply and the supports above rail level the gradient works out about 1 in 15 and the transitions wont work for anything larger than a Far Twittering and Oysterperch 0-2-0 Tender engine or a Hornby 0-4-0T but its a bit of fun.   A couple of straight rails would need trimming.    

B.png

A.png

• 4 months later...

If you have not built the baseboard can you stretch to a 4' x 4' baseboard?

Then you could build an representation of the Liskeard to Coombe junction putting some of the spiral/helix inside the hill that separates the two points rather than try to build a continuous spiral cutting.

If there is space perhaps sitting inside a circular 5' diameter hexagonal sectional baseboard is another way forward and given the restrictions of the aged Farish locomotion this would allow its minimum 600mm radius to be accommodated. At least the scenic demands may not be too great and it would be possible to build the layout as an up and down spiral to a through station.

A surf to:

https://www.carendt.com/micro-layout-design-gallery/multi-level-micro-layouts/

Shows an interesting project suggestion by Jack Trollope.

jack design has a diamond crossing on it so the whole layout is single track but not impossible to make the diamond crossing a double slip.

The world is your crustacean it just depends on how lateral you think to achieve what you wish...