locations where I can run SR and a few GWR trains together mid 30s

dube

I`m looking for locations where I can run my SR and maybe a few GWR trains together in a prototypical way running on a 2 or 4 track mainline in 1934  (all my GWR is GREAT WESTERN) I have a long wall but only about 18" wide baseboards, so for example looking at Basingstoke - Southampton as I have the Bournemouth belle Pullman train if I have it running down to Southampton I could also run

all hauled by SR locos ?

Bournemouth Belle 10 Pullmans

set 243 maunsell
BTK-TK-FK-BTK

set 329 maunsell
BTK-TK-FK-TK-TK-BTK (sometimes Dining car added)

GWR stock
BTK TK CK Dining CK TK TK BTK

LNER stock
BCK TK BCK RC TK BCK BV

Regular Locos seen RTR

*Lord Nelson
King Arthur
*Schools

S15
*N Class

M7
T9

* Not yet available in correct livery

Other Southern locos ? although not sure of if any GWR locos (28xx 43xx Halls 2251)  ran through Basingstoke or down the DN&S  - Southampton, also looking at Basingstoke - Oxford where it would be mainly GWR locos with a few SR but not sure what types and don`t think any pullmans ran that way

Edited by dube

Apart from the Didcot, Newbury and Southampton trains, which were hauled either by Collett Goods or T9 classes, all Locomotives in Southampton would be Southern, but GWR and LNER carriages would be seen on inter-regional services.

Note that the Schools and Nelson can fairly easily be modified to 1934 condition with some deflectors and transfers: brass smoke deflectors for the Schools can be had from Phoenix and 3d printed ones for the Nelson from Shapeways.

Beware of Southern carriages and in 1934: the only non-corridor carriages available ready to run that would have been used in the Western section were introduced in 1935, being the LSWR rebuilds made by Hornby, aside from the now hard to find Kernow push-pull set.

If you want more locomotive variety, consider Weymouth. The Basingstoke to Reading section could work, but again, all the Locomotives would have changed at Reading or Oxford and would be Southern.

Somewhere on the GWR might work better; somewhere between Reading and Oxford would allow Southern engines and carriages, as these were often changed at Oxford. You will then not need any Southern local carriages, and GWR local carriages are now available.

Southern locomotives on this section are likely to have been confined to Arthurs, Schools, Us and possibly some better 4-4-0s,although you would need to research the latter more.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The old MSWJR line by then GWR ran into Andover with running rights to Southhampton on the LSWR / Southern Spratt and winkle line.

Some Southern locos went up the line to Ludgershall with troops on board the trains, the carriage stock could come from any of the big 4  on military trains..

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 1

How big a location do you want?

After I looked at some of the biggest (like Basingstoke and Salisbury) on NLS maps, I decided whoops, not that big.

Basingstoke

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=17&lat=51.2688&lon=-1.0838&layers=168&b=1

Salisbury

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=17&lat=51.0715&lon=-1.8034&layers=168&b=1

As many have said, perhaps it's important to not be so ambitious with a layout that it takes years to build.

Here's a list I've collated with the same in mind.

Abbotsbury Branch Junction
Abbotsbury Gates
Barnstaple Junction
Barnstaple Town
Bincombe Bridge & Tunnel
Bodmin?
Boscarne Junction
Chard
Dorchester
Exeter Central
Exeter St.Davids
Highbridge
Ilfracombe
Launceston
Lydford Junction
Marlborough
Portland Branch
Plymouth North Road
Plymouth St.Budeaux
Plymstock
Rodwell and Easton
Savernake
Swindon Town
Upwey Junction
Wadebridge
Wells
Weymouth
Yeovil

Anywhere missing?

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, KeithMacdonald said:

How big a location do you want?

After I looked at some of the biggest (like Basingstoke and Salisbury) on NLS maps, I decided whoops, not that big.

Basingstoke

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=17&lat=51.2688&lon=-1.0838&layers=168&b=1

Salisbury

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=17&lat=51.0715&lon=-1.8034&layers=168&b=1

As many have said, perhaps it's important to not be so ambitious with a layout that it takes years to build.

Here's a list I've collated with the same in mind.

Abbotsbury Branch Junction
Abbotsbury Gates
Barnstaple Junction
Barnstaple Town
Bincombe Bridge & Tunnel
Bodmin?
Boscarne Junction
Chard
Dorchester
Exeter Central
Exeter St.Davids
Highbridge
Ilfracombe
Launceston
Lydford Junction
Marlborough
Portland Branch
Plymouth North Road
Plymouth St.Budeaux
Plymstock
Rodwell and Easton
Savernake
Swindon Town
Upwey Junction
Wadebridge
Wells
Weymouth
Yeovil

Anywhere missing?

Appleford, Culham, Radley; Tilehurst, Cholsey, Pangbourne, Goring & Streetly (all stations between Reading and Oxford excluding Didcot, if the OP wants a small station on a main line theme).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jamespetts said:

Appleford, Culham, Radley; Tilehurst, Cholsey, Pangbourne, Goring & Streetly (all stations between Reading and Oxford excluding Didcot, if the OP wants a small station on a main line theme).

Just looking for a section of mainline running through the countryside, between 2 bridges would work best, been looking closer towards Bournemouth I could add the Hornby ExLSWR Coaches which I think ran between Christchurch and Bournemouth, but not until the late 1930s but my coach formations could be

late 30s

Bournemouth Belle 10 Pullmans

set 243 maunsell
BTK-TK-FK-BTK

set 329 maunsell
BTK-TK-FK-TK-TK-BTK (sometimes Dining car added)
SW District Special Traffic based at Wimbledon Park

GWR stock (shirtbutton)
BTK-CK-Dining-CK-TK-BTK-BTK-CK-BCK

LNER stock
BCK-BCK-TK-RC-TK-BCK-TK-BCK

ExLSWR Coaches 

Problem with Basingstoke to Oxford is that all the SR maunsell sets I`ve  found from Bournemouth to Birkenhead / Newcastle mid 30s had a dinning car and then my pullman and SR coach sets don`t fit other locations where the could run next to GWR trains

Bournemouth to Birkenhead / Newcastle  mid 30s

set 458

BTK-TK-CK-Dining-CK-TK-BTK

set 459

BTK-TK-CK-Dining-CK-TK-BTK

or set?

BTK-CK-Dining-CK-TK-BTK-BTK-CK-BCK

Still looking elsewhere, west side of Salisbury looks good

Edited by dube

1 hour ago, dube said:

Still looking elsewhere, west side of Salisbury looks good

Would Yeovil Junction be any good?

The modest Somerset town of Yeovil is remarkable in that it was once served by three passenger stations - Yeovil Pen Mill on the former GWR line between Castle Cary and Weymouth, Yeovil Junction on the former LSWR main line between Waterloo and Exeter, and Yeovil Town the joint GWR/LSWR station on the GWR line from Taunton.

http://www.semgonline.com/location/yeo1.html?LMCL=uQ0G6B

• RMweb Gold

How about Exeter-Plymouth; a choice of either the GW or Southern routes depending on which you prefer.  The companies had a reciprocal arrangement of running powers over each others' route in order to divert trains in the event of a blockage, and there were regular workings in order for the drivers to maintain route knowledge.

17 hours ago, jamespetts said:

Apart from the Didcot, Newbury and Southampton trains, which were hauled either by Collett Goods or T9 classes, all Locomotives in Southampton would be Southern, but GWR and LNER carriages would be seen on inter-regional services.

How about other types running from the DN&S - Southampton, Dukedogs, 28xx, 43xx ?

In my big 4 in colour book there’s an Earl (Dukedog) 3215 allocated to Didcot late 30s, bringing a Southampton local into worthy down, not sure how far down the loco travelled ?

I think during the war years there must have been other GWR types and maybe even B12s on Ambulance trains going down to Southampton 

• Informative/Useful 1

15 minutes ago, dube said:

In my big 4 in colour book there’s an Earl (Dukedog) 3215 allocated to Didcot late 30s, bringing a Southampton local into worthy down, not sure how far down the loco travelled ?

I think during the war years there must have been other GWR types and maybe even B12s on Ambulance trains going down to Southampton 

Interesting - how late in the 1930s was 3215 allocated, may I ask?

Running Pullman trains certainly seems to be a favourite.

Howabout the Devon Belle Pullman?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Devon_Belle

There are (or were) a good few places west of Exeter that had small(ish) mainline stations that both GWR and SR ran through, including the Pullman trains. It's on my hypothetical layout, with a portion running to Ocean Quay in Plymouth, to meet the transatlantic liners.

Here's some classic British Pathe newsreel of the Devon Belle. 

https://www.britishpathe.com/video/devon-belle

For the full nostalgic experience, don't forget to watch in a darkened room with popcorn and icecream. ;)

Thanks although I think the Devon Belle Pullman was after the war, and I’m really looking for places I can run my rolling stock together as I have most of the coaches from my OP, just been looking at Plymouth to Turnchapel / Tavistock as this is where my ExLSWR gatestock Set 374 worked, interesting area

Edited by dube

• 2 years later...
On 14/11/2019 at 02:32, The Johnster said:

How about Exeter-Plymouth; a choice of either the GW or Southern routes depending on which you prefer.  The companies had a reciprocal arrangement of running powers over each others' route in order to divert trains in the event of a blockage, and there were regular workings in order for the drivers to maintain route knowledge.

Lydford Junction perhaps?

image.png.ed8df8436ad271403d9f70f3b3a3ec63.png

• Agree 1