Jeremy Vine 13/11

Chameleon

Anyone catch the excellent half hour of the Jeremy Vine show today? They were talking about Rod Stewart’s huge layout he has finally finished. There was an impromptu phone in from Rod and Jools Holland, totally unexpected where they blethered away quite happily about model trains for a bit. Jeremy Vine, being a modeller himself wasn’t condescending in any way. 
steve Flint was a bit blatant, plugging Railway Modeller every chance he got (who wouldn’t) but an enjoyable half hour. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

No, but it looks fantastic.

I've just posted a similar topic in the Websites section, the BBC News website has an article covering it too.

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/149134-bbc-news-rod-stewarts-epic-railroad/

• Informative/Useful 1

My daughter rang me from her car journey to tell me it was on.  I caught the last 10 mins or so.  Seemed to be a quite 'adult' discussion rather than the often experienced condescending one.  I didn't know JV was a modeller.  Another show business one.

13 minutes ago, Chameleon said:

There’s a few. Other than Rod and Jeremy, there’s Jools and I believe, Roger Daltry, not to mention Pete Waterman of course. 

And Hermann Goering.....

https://marklinstop.com/2011/12/marklin-at-carinhall-hermann-goerings-miniature-railway/

I can't vouch for his musical ability though.   ;) 

Jason

• Agree 1

16 hours ago, Chameleon said:

Anyone catch the excellent half hour of the Jeremy Vine show today? They were talking about Rod Stewart’s huge layout he has finally finished. Jeremy Vine, being a modeller himself wasn’t condescending in any way. 

I wouldn't go as far as to describe him as a modeller, he (by his own admission)

has spent over a year worrying about the baseboard, and not doing anything!

He's a beginner, coming late to the hobby, who doesn't really know what to do,

or who to turn to for help. He might not have been condescending, but it was

obvious that he didn't really know what he was talking about (as usual)

• RMweb Gold
39 minutes ago, jcm@gwr said:

I wouldn't go as far as to describe him as a modeller, he (by his own admission)

Sounds like he'd be perfectly at home in my workshop.

• Funny 2

51 minutes ago, jcm@gwr said:

At least he admitted to thinking about becoming a railway modeller!  Now that he's found out that a fellow presenter is a modeller too, he should be able to get some hints and tips and move forward.  As for worrying about the baseboard, perhaps we could have some tshirts?  "I'm Worried About My Baseboard"......

• Funny 1

Thanks for heads up about the program, very entertaining! I bought the modeller and continental modeller when it featured Jools Holland's layout (which very cleverly featured in the titles to his program). Some very good ideas in it imho particularly the details.

Have to read the Rod Stewart article, to see what can be done with a massive space and an equally massive budget!

Normally I'd avoid the Jeremy Whine show like the plague, but I'll have to catch up with this one on BBC Sounds. 

Despite the host's initial sneering scepticism, I hope the segment played out to be some positive exposure for the hobby.

• Agree 2

28 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

Normally I'd avoid the Jeremy Whine show like the plague, but I'll have to catch up with this one on BBC Sounds. 

Despite the host's initial sneering scepticism, I hope the segment played out to be some positive exposure for the hobby.

It's very cool for cats.  :-)

• Funny 1

5 minutes ago, NittenDormer said:

It was discussed on Radio 4 at the same time (12.30ish). I was listening to R2 in the car, came into the house, put radio on and wondered why Jeremy had handed off mid-programme. Easily confused...

On PM yesterday R4 played a clip of Whine expressing doubts on whether RS had built his own layout, and then RS 'phoning up to say that he had, or 90%, bar the wiring. Then my daughter started talking over it ... I haven't heard the whole thing.

Sandy Toksvig, eh? That's quite interesting. 

• Agree 1

Lot of on line news sites picked up on this.

The actual Mail on line title: "sir Rod Stewart confirms he built model railway on Jeremy Vine".  

Er, surely he used a baseboard....

TMZ.com : "Sir Rod Stewart is a rock star with a super interesting hobby".

Super interesting! That's much better journalism!

• Funny 3

• 1 month later...
On 14/11/2019 at 13:48, railroadbill said:

Lot of on line news sites picked up on this.

The actual Mail on line title: "sir Rod Stewart confirms he built model railway on Jeremy Vine".  

Er, surely he used a baseboard....

It's good to know Jeremy Vine is useful for something (at last).

I've used baseboards that were less wooden and predictable than Jeremy Vine.

• Funny 1

• 2 weeks later...