Alexander models

AndyViking

Just had a sad call from Dave’s sister. He is very unwell and has been back to hospital for hip replacement on top of the Big C. 

She tells me that he is giving up the business , which is a great shame but fully understandable. 

I hope someone with the right skills decides to acquire his business and keeps producing his wonderful kits. I have a J21 and several Tyne Dock wagons to build and will think of him as I make them. 

• Friendly/supportive 12

In a perfect world, Dave Ellis from SE Finecast could be in a position to acquire the Alexander stud - there's plenty of NE themed subjects in that range that would compliment DA's, and it would go to a supplier with a genuine interest in producing for the modelling community, rather than buying up the molds and then having them rot away with nothing to show....

In the mean time, the very best wishes for a strong recovery to Mr Alexander.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

21 hours ago, AndyViking said:

Just had a sad call from Dave’s sister. He is very unwell and has been back to hospital for hip replacement on top of the Big C. 

Andy,

If the chance arises, please pass on my regards/commiserations/best wishes to Dave.

He went well above the call of duty in tracking me down to complete an order.

So, a big "thanks" from the guy at Manchester University who failed to supply an address with his order of a K4 kit. If that raises a smile with him, it may be just what he needs to hear.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I'm not aware of Alexander Models or its owner Dave (Alexander?) but this is sad news. These small suppliers are the lifeblood of our hobby so I will add my good wishes to Dave and his sister if I may.

It would be great if Dave Ellis could take over but none of us are getting any younger!

Kind regards,

Richard B

I absolutely echo the sentiments of this thread, and send my best wishes.

I was able to acquire an NER U (N10) from Hartlepool, and upon inspection, it's a bloody lovely looking kit and for the range to disappear would be an awful shame.

Hopefully someone who know what to do with such things will be able to help. 

But of course, health comes first.

Cheers

J

My sister introduced me to Dave many years ago, she worked in the bank round the corner from Dave's shop where he used to bank the takings. She told him her brother was a modeller and Dave said for me to pop in next time I was down in Shields and that I did, lovely guy Dave. Thought he was looking a bit better when I spoke to him a last month.

Look after yersel Dave, Fiona and I are thinking of you.

Dave Franks.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, davefrk said:

My sister introduced me to Dave many years ago, she worked in the bank round the corner from Dave's shop where he used to bank the takings. She told him her brother was a modeller and Dave said for me to pop in next time I was down in Shields and that I did, lovely guy Dave. Thought he was looking a bit better when I spoke to him a last month.

Look after yersel Dave, Fiona and I are thinking of you.

Dave Franks.

Presumably that's Dave Alexander you're referring to, not Dave Jones?

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • RMweb Gold

Sadly Dave Alexander is not with us. Not sure what has happened to his kits and their design.

I am trying to do a Tyne Dock - Consett 9F conversion using Westinghouse pumps. The pumps can be obtained from Lanarkshire Models - the rest of the componets will be scratch built or perhaps other sources.

It would be useful to at least see a copy of Dave's instructions.

A friend has found one of the pages (as below) but not the remainder. I should be grateful if anyone out there could photo and send the rest of the instructions.

Cheers, David

image.png.51926ca8e637d5a956e128d292da5868.png

Send me a PM. I might have some good news for you! I have a spare 9F detailing kit I would be happy to part with.

Sorry to others who may have thought I had some news on Dave's other kits! Apologies!

Chas

Edited by ScRSG
added info.
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 4 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, rustynuts said:

I too am looking for a 9f tyne doc kit or a Dave Alexander Q7 kit

Regards

Paul

I've never converted a Q7 so I can't even offer the instructions.

However, if you can track down the fitting instructions, I would still recommend the Lanarkshire Models pumps which are much closer to scale. Dave's pumps were a little too big. This doesn't show up much on a 9F with the pumps fitted in a cut out in the running plate. However, with the pumps fitted on the running plate, they look obviously tall. I experienced this on an Thompson 01 conversion. I struggled to reduce the height and am still not satisfied.

The pumps on the 01 conversion kit sit in a bracketed housing. I'm not sure if the Q7 was the same. Anyway, if you get pumps from Lanarkshire Models, I'm sure you should be able to scratch the rest.

I can tell you that the range along with all his casting machines was sold on & I know who has them although I will not be giving details. At present he is mowed out with day work & so it might take a while before you see them out again. I will pass on that people are wanting models from the range myself included & hopefully it might prompt him a bit.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
19 hours ago, rustynuts said:

Many thanks, I have ordered 2 sets of pumps as I fancy having a go at the 9F and Q7 conversion 

regards

Paul

Where from? we know from Simon's post above that the range has been sold but we don't know to who yet, or have I missed something?