Bullfrog snot

Hi,

I just unpacked a brand new item that I have had for some years and the traction tyres keep coming off. I have tried to get replacement ones but they are not available anymore. It’s been suggested as an alternative that I could use bullfrog snot. Does anyone have experience of this product and was there any pitfalls encountered.

andy

G'day, Andymsa,

I've had some success with this product, having used it on a couple of Tri-ang Dean Singles, some Mainline/Hornby Dean Goods and a repair of a friend's Athearn pacific.

My best effort was its application on a model of a GWR Stella class 2-4-0, described here: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/134586-gwr-stella-2-4-0-kitbash/

The secret to subsequent smooth running is to brush  it on thinly with the wheels rotating so that it sets evenly around the tyre.

Bullfrog Snot is an essential part of my toolchest.

Regards,

Rob

• Agree 1

I agree with Rob. While I have only done a few locos with it, it works well (after a couple of first attempts that came out a bit lumpy).

I use a toothpick to apply it, with the wheels of the loco hooked up to the power to turn them slowly. One of those aforementioned failed attempts was because I had them spinning too fast!

The beauty of it is that only a very small amount of the Snot is required, and it can be easily scraped off if you aren't happy with the initial result.

Hi,

22 minutes ago, SRman said:

I agree with Rob. While I have only done a few locos with it, it works well (after a couple of first attempts that came out a bit lumpy).

I use a toothpick to apply it, with the wheels of the loco hooked up to the power to turn them slowly. One of those aforementioned failed attempts was because I had them spinning too fast!

The beauty of it is that only a very small amount of the Snot is required, and it can be easily scraped off if you aren't happy with the initial result.

was it applied to wheels that have a small recess for the traction tyre

1 minute ago, Andymsa said:

Hi,

was it applied to wheels that have a small recess for the traction tyre

In my case, yes. Mostly Lima Diesels / Electro-Diesels.

I have heard of it being applied to wheels without the groove though, but the toothpick idea might prove too rigid, in which case, Rob's use of a brush might be a better idea to ensure a smooth and even coating.

2 hours ago, cypherman said:

Hi,

Can I ask have you tried Peters spares for the traction tyres. They seem to have a wide range of them. I do know that they have made new out of date items. So they may have the tyres you want.

https://www.petersspares.com/

hi,

yes I did look at them, the problem is that this train is quite old now and Roco has changed all there part numbers, but thankfully I managed to order some today only downer is I got to wait a few weeks