How do you hide your magnets?

BoD

• RMweb Gold

As the question in the title really.

I have a number of uncoupling magnets for S&W couplers buried under the track and they will eventually be totally invisible to the eye. Hopefully.

I’m looking for different ways to indicate their exact location.  What are the best/most interesting/ingenious/wacky ways of doing this that you have used or seen?

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, BoD said:

As the question in the title really.

I have a number of uncoupling magnets for S&W couplers buried under the track and they will eventually be totally invisible to the eye. Hopefully.

I’m looking for different ways to indicate their exact location.  What are the best/most interesting/ingenious/wacky ways of doing this that you have used or seen?

I've seen layouts that have animals standing next to magnets, others with distinctive (but plausible) scenic features, such as  the site of a line side fire (if you're running steam locos).

Adrian

• Thanks 1

Many items that suit as markers: ground signal, yard lever frame, boarded walkway or barrow crossing, lamp post, ground anchorage for a wire stay to a signal or telegraph post, laid down fog cabin, valve wheel upstand (for the water main), inspection cover over an underground access, a heap of sand, a broken piece of tackle such as a coupling, oil drum, wheelbarrow and shovel.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Yellow paint markings on the rail side. Done small enough and weathered so that they look like a mark a PW gang might make. Even at 6ft away they are visible enough and are simultaneously discreet, these are on the ‘public’ too as the layout is operated from the front.

570D4386-307C-419B-910B-9EE790A96DDF.jpeg

Edited by PMP
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold

@Bill37 has pointed me in the direction of this thread as I wondered the same thing

I was thinking of using a strategically placed tree

610B2503-1813-42D7-855D-CDEF7E1A01DD.jpeg.08d78cdede58f552313ad25ea29f3d0f.jpeg

But I’m not so sure now having seen other members ideas and suggestions especially the bird idea by @Butler Henderson

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Agree 1