LNER empty trains collided, service disruptions expected

800109 in collision with 43300 with 43308 on the opposite end. At least one car of the IET was derailed probably one bogie judging by the image.

Actually - more than one bogie having looked at that linked image.

Edited by Covkid

Bit of video here of the Azuma.

https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news/transport/shocking-photographs-show-horrific-damage-to-azuma-lner-train-following-leeds-station-depot-crash-1-10103283

I'm surprised that at least two Azuma coaches derailed in this "low speed" collision. The front coaches in the HST seem OK and on the track. 

QVNIMTEyMDc1Mjgw.jpg?width=640

image.png.7c772a4619cef9f341cebbd3ecec0864.png

Brit15

Edited by APOLLO
  • Like 2
  • Agree 3

Difficult to understand the mechanism for this, but it's not reassuring to see the 80x's carriages so out of alignment with each other: in an accident involving a train in service, carriages decoupling (if that's what's happened) very much increases the potential for a severe outcome.

• Agree 10

31 minutes ago, russ p said:

The 800 seems to have come off a lot worse, looks like the intermediate bar couplers have allowed a lot more lateral movement than Buckeyes or tightlocks.

They are 26m long vehicles, surely that's to be expected?  The offset as they go through tight pointwork is eye-opening.

1 minute ago, Oldddudders said:

Indeed. But when you change a long-established principle, any trade-off needs to be understood. Fortunately no-one has been hurt, but the behaviour in a collision of the 8xx is going to be the subject of some head-scratching, I hope. 

No body was hurt, so no need to investigate, but  when a lightweight 800 hits a comparatively heavy lump like a class 43 then it comes off worse.   Its when one hits a Landrover  Cow or aggregate train at speed that we will see if how safe they really are compared to the HST or Loco hauled train.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

Even mk1s stay more in line than that, when the HST derailed at northallerton in 1979 at over 100mph it destroyed the track but the coaches although moving off line due to the track not being there stayed inline with each other.

I would hate to think what would happen to an 800 in the same circumstances but very serious questions need to be asked and soon , and sale and scrapping of mk4s and 91s should be put on hold incase it turns out the 800 is a death trap.

• Agree 13
  • Friendly/supportive 1

It might well turn out to be that the final position of the trains doesn't properly reflect the point of collision - if the derailed coaches were traversing the crossover a few cars back from their present position when it collided i'm not sure I'm all that surprised that they derailed, or that they moved a fair way out of alignment with the other cars after derailing there...

And if that is what has happened, then comparisons to other derailments on straight track at speed may not be especially relevant.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, russ p said:

The coach have derailed because of impact with an HST but they should have NOT  gone so far out of line as a result of this

And one of those trains appears to have had it's coaches all in a straight line at the point of impact so the force would go straight down the centre line of the train through the couplers, whilst the other train appears to have been traversing a low speed (sharp) crossover, so the forces there will work differently...

Lets wait and see is all i'm saying.

• Agree 8

If they are anything like the Voyagers they'll just remove the cab, check everything is straight (replacing what isn't right) and replace with a new cab. Crumple zone worked anyhow... Certainly one driver with a few questions to answer...

Edited by Hobby

7 minutes ago, Hobby said:

If they are anything like the Voyagers they'll just remove the cab, check everything is straight (replacing what isn't right) and replace with a new cab. Crumple zone worked anyhow... Certainly one driver with a few questions to answer...

Form 1?

• Agree 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Glorious NSE said:

And one of those trains appears to have had it's coaches all in a straight line at the point of impact so the force would go straight down the centre line of the train through the couplers, whilst the other train appears to have been traversing a low speed (sharp) crossover, so the forces there will work differently...

Lets wait and see is all i'm saying.

Where is the crossover in the picture that the 800 was going over? It looks like plain line that its sat on to me. And that really is a worrying outcome....

Andy G

• Agree 3