Freelance 09 Cotswold estate railway

Jason Pape

I’m hoping to begin designing my first ever 09 layout. It will be based in the Cotswolds in the Cirencester/ Stowe on the Wold area but completely fictional. At the moment it’s called The Foxwood and Deercombe valley and has 2-3 villages and a market town. The village of Foxwood is based on Castlecombe, Owlpen and Bibury. Haresfield is based on Upper and Lower Slaughter, Slaughterford and Ford near Castlecombe. Deercombe is the market town and it’s based on Tetbury, Burford and Stowe on the Wold. There may be a 3rd village called Badgersbrook but it depends if I can fit it in. There will be rivers, inns, pubs, manor houses and farms too! The layout will have buildings and structures based on real Cotswold examples. I hope to feature my round animals from my sculptures and paintings with widened horse drawn vehicles too. my animals look usual because they’re all based on spheres or ovals. Any ideas would be most helpful because I’m a near beginner, I designed a freelance 00 Cotswold based layout called Horsecombe but unfortunately a house move cancelled the project, it was based on the midland railway on a fictional branch similar to the Nailsworth line. I still have the plans and with hindsight it may have worked better as a narrow gauge line instead.

Edited by Jason Pape
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

There is an Evesham Vale Light Railway at Evesham which is a modern build around 20 years old and could provide some ideas & Inspiration? I have more photos but the upload limit stops the upload.

Jason if you're interested send me a PM.  http://www.evlr.co.uk/

Dava

DSC05328.JPG

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

14 hours ago, Dava said:

There is an Evesham Vale Light Railway at Evesham which is a modern build around 20 years old and could provide some ideas & Inspiration? I have more photos but the upload limit stops the upload.

Jason if you're interested send me a PM.  http://www.evlr.co.uk/

Dava

DSC05328.JPG

Thank you Dava the Evesham Light Railway looks great. The Foxwood and Deercombe would look similar I think. I would love to see more of your photos!

As promised here are the plans I drew for Horsecombe in 2006, the first plans show just the station site with a small sketch of the station building, I built a model from the Dornaplas L.M.S station kit but with the two windows at the front of the model to resemble a Midland Railway station and no dripmoulds above the windows. I built the Crossing keepers cottage and the waiting shelter from the kits as planned though. I was going to ultimately replace the model with a scratchbuilt station and waiting shelter when I was skilled enough. The replacement is drawn on the sketch with a different waiting shelter too. I sold the models in 2011, I wonder if my Dornaplas station is out there somewhere I was rather proud of it!

2DDEDCAE-D0DA-4077-89D1-F6EF0E9B02CF.jpeg

00C5207E-D981-4188-89B9-B6400E499E86.jpeg

36FECD75-419F-4245-A87A-2B36F2323DE2.jpeg

E8D614F9-BB69-458F-BE29-8E9EB614F780.jpeg

DFC6BFA9-4B6D-43F9-B41A-CBDD226FC23E.jpeg

96BFB280-9296-4FCF-A784-58A579444C21.jpeg

D2743DB9-E15A-4328-9025-8C873B48E599.jpeg

Edited by Jason Pape
  • Like 1

This is the complete map of my layout  Horsecombe, it had a pub, the White Horse, a church based on Slaughterford, Dove farm which is based on one of my folk art paintings (the dots near Dove farm are cows being herded) there is even a harvest scene with 2 of my round horses!, a manor house and gatehouse, the Fat Fox alehouse and lots of thatched and Cotswold stone roofed houses too. The manor had its own halt based on Haresfield on the midland railway. Unusually this layout has a short 5 arch viaduct and 2 tunnel mouths which gave a continuous run under the Cotswold hills. In reality I would have positioned the station nearer the front of the baseboard because it was meant to be a mainline and the curves in the tunnel are too tight on the plan. When I drew Horsecombe I lived in Bath and it’s influenced by Castlecombe, Slaughterford and the surrounding area. It could probably have worked as a fictional station on the Somerset and Dorset Joint Railway or a fictional narrow gauge railway too. I hope it’s ok for a first effort.

342737C9-A21E-4247-973E-2C4A45F4DD26.jpeg

F2F5F074-A632-49EB-B508-9AB7AEE7AE7C.jpeg

72CB66AD-8755-4216-8A65-95AEC16F35B2.jpeg

ED1A82F8-A22A-490E-B238-D0C5655D8481.jpeg

7C4F7B31-7B68-4274-B73B-A7B303FD0140.jpeg

Edited by Jason Pape
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...