Argyle Street, London Midland, Central Trains, EWS, Etc

Andrew P

Well after selling New Mills and Cadley Hill I needed a new small project to keep me going until the House Move which is more than likely to be next year now. Argyle Street will probably continue after the move, as I hope to have room for it in the new abode darn souf.

I wanted a similar idea to New Mills, with through DMU's but also a small Yard for some Marshalling and Loco Stabling at times. It also incorporates a small Steel Works for additional Traffic and operational potential.

Argyle Street is located in the Birmingham area so that I can run London Midland, Central Trains, and Arriva Wales 150 / 153 / 158 Units. The name was chosen as I was born in Plymouth, and even though I don't follow Football, I believe they have a Team called Argyle, and if you turn up early for a match you can even play, haha.

So once again, let the fun begin.

EDIT = PLAN CHANGED A BIT. BUT ignore, as it changed again on Page 4 as of 28/11/2019.

1665546844_ArgyleStreetPlan.png.d55c81473a7ac05760cbd9aa54701b02.png

EDIT = 28/11/2019

image.png.e5960ef17bda15dbea105824336cebfd.png

image.png.15ed4df8076c0b88e19818052dacdd1c.png

New Plan as of 01/12/2019

840411059_ArgyleStreetPlan.png.d94ce88ca3abf102495e9247a1294995.png

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 11

THIS IS THE STORY OF HOW IT STARTED AND EVOLVED OVER A COUPLE OF WEEKS

The Track is Peco's newish Bullhead for the visible section and code 75 for the Fiddle Yards, the points however will be Code 75 as I could not justify over £150 on just 6 Points. you can see from the pics below that a start has been made, and the Platform face will have Peco edging fitted once it arrives.

IMG_0042.JPG.963738af51db9fb807fba3c1da56f822.JPG

IMG_0043.JPG.f1b903c7d85dce91aceedbc36f4b3388.JPG

IMG_0044.JPG.bba6a3c630aeb8e06a94078dd41cf309.JPG

IMG_0045.JPG.eba4ce33036ab47b2e28107e22cc32ce.JPG

IMG_0046.JPG.edca06f6cb3a3f644c441db530ed8c4f.JPG

IMG_0047.JPG.3ec23b5c4c8dfd593ced792f928ccc8b.JPG

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

1 hour ago, Crisis Rail said:

There you go again Andrew it's layout #19 by my reckoning :biggrin_mini2:

i've managed to ballast about 3ft of PECO Bullhead this year -_-

Ian

Don't worry Ian, most of my gear is stashed away at my Sons down Souf, so I'm having to make do with what I can scrape together.

I even had to have a Chinese Take away whilst on Holiday to get some containers for the Ballast and Flock, haha.:taunt:

• Funny 2

On 14/11/2019 at 19:43, sb67 said:

Looking forward to seeing this one Andy,  New Mills is one of my faves and I'm sure his will be just as good. It's getting off to a good start :)

Steve

Thanks Steve, I do have a BIG PLAN for after I've moved, if I have the room to do it, It will probably be either Southern / BR Steam or Somerset and Dorset as a big roundy roundy with lots of Fields, Lanes, Cottages etc, but that is still some way off yet, but even then I want to keep Argyle Street for my Modern Image Stock.

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

42 minutes ago, Mulgabill said:

Oooooh  S&D Please I managed a round trip before it closed with my school.

Probably the true start of my railway education, and look where thats got me!

All the best Andy

TONY

Hi Tony, you may have seen the Video I took at the Fareham Show in October of a Layout in OO or EM of Evercreech New, and I was well inspired, so that will be the basis of the project, something simple, (a bit like it's builder, haha) with lots of uncluttered scenery etc.

In case you missed it, here it is again.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

The thought of a large Southern layout {South Western section of course} or a slice of the S&D is equally as exciting. 

Rob. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, NHY 581 said:

The thought of a large Southern layout {South Western section of course} or a slice of the S&D is equally as exciting. 

Rob. 

Do I go for S & D with 9F's 7F's and 4F's plus Std 4's and 5's, or Souf Londun with some nice Schools, Q1's, Nelson's Arthurs's, S15 etc?

Another discussion for another day.:D

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Without wishing to prolong the hi-jack........but I will...:crazy_mini:

For me the period 1950/1960 will do for the S&D. Eweington Bleatle, junction for the Bleatwater branch with a spur to Bleat Wharf. 

As for the Suvvern, same time period but somewhere in the West Country..Devon ish. ........Eweminster, junction for the Lamb Regis branch springs to mind

Rob. 

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

For me the period 1950/1960 will do for the S&D. Eweington Bleatle, junction for the Bleatwater branch with a spur to Bleat Wharf. 

As for the Suvvern, same time period but somewhere in the West Country..Devon ish. ........Eweminster, junction for the Lamb Regis branch springs to mind

Rob. 

:offtopic:Ewe have got me thinking already Rob. Some nice Devon rolling Hills and Red Soil, and of course being a Devon Bloke it does have some meaning. I might start the Thread on that soon as I'll be getting some Stock together, and it will be the 60's. Time to Rock and Roll.:good:

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 3

32 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

Rob. 

I'd need to do a Thread with three names, or one common theme, one for the S & D, one for Souf of the Thames and one for Devon, and just change the Locos to suit, now who do I know that has done something similar, haha?

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

Looking good Andy.

(Slightly off topic) I note the way you're planning to disguise the scenic break by using a presumed angled bridge.

That's something I'm currently considering for my 7mm layout. The bridge will be removable when the layout is packed away.

I'm not sure whether to follow your example here with an angle similar to yours, a more or less 90º angle or angled the other way, something I don't recall having noticed on other layouts. My thinking for the latter is that the end of the bridge nearest to the viewer acts more like a view blocker then the other two angles. Is that something you've considered?

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Sit still man, the rest of us cannot keep up with you.

I've had the all clear and signed off by the Surgeon, so now I can go at break neck speed with the next 5 projects, haha.:laugh:

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 4

10 hours ago, Dave John said:

Well, enjoy another build. 

I saw "Argyle Street" and thought someone was building the station three to the east from mine, but the CR version would be a bit limited. 

Sorry to disappoint, I really don't know how a Plymouth Football Team got a Scottish name, still I like Scotland anyway so that's O.K. by me.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, georgeT said:

Good luck with the new venture bud, you need something to do while waiting to move, shame it wont inclued a kettle or two...

Kettle's  on the Next project once down Souf mate, either 1960's BR S& D or Southern, as a bigish roundy I hope.

1 hour ago, Ray H said:

Looking good Andy.

(Slightly off topic) I note the way you're planning to disguise the scenic break by using a presumed angled bridge.

That's something I'm currently considering for my 7mm layout. The bridge will be removable when the layout is packed away.

I'm not sure whether to follow your example here with an angle similar to yours, a more or less 90º angle or angled the other way, something I don't recall having noticed on other layouts. My thinking for the latter is that the end of the bridge nearest to the viewer acts more like a view blocker then the other two angles. Is that something you've considered?

I've never though of going the other way with a Road Bridge, but it will be wide enough and with a Backscene to hide the Fiddle Yard.

4 minutes ago, Bogie said:

Running true to form I see Mr P.

At least I managed to find this layout within 24 hours of it being commenced on RMweb.

Hi Bogie, just in time to enjoy the fun and frolics then mate. :good:

Hi Andy,

Good luck with this one bud, don't go selling it before it's finished!

I will drop in from time to time as I won't be able to keep up.

The 'big project' sounds very interesting - my old club (Ilkeston) used to have a fabulous MPD layout based 1948-68 with lots of lovely steam and electrics, it was gorgeous!

John.

• Like 1