Rod Stewart's HO layout in Railway Modeller

DanielB

For those not in the know, or outside the UK, this month's Railway Modeller magazine has Rod Stewart's HO scale layout as the cover article.

I've not read it yet, just had a quick flick through.

I was mostly taken aback by a UK centric magazine featuring an American layout. That's got to be a first.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 15/11/2019 at 07:21, DanielB said:

For those not in the know, or outside the UK, this month's Railway Modeller magazine has Rod Stewart's HO scale layout as the cover article.

I've not read it yet, just had a quick flick through.

I was mostly taken aback by a UK centric magazine featuring an American layout. That's got to be a first.

Waaay back in more enlightened times, British magazines often used to include "Continental" or "American" layouts, models and reviews within their pages.

Since 1979, when CM started, RM understandably stopped including such articles but Model Railway Constructor continued until it's demise in about 1983 IIRC?

Scale (Model) Trains International continued waving the flag until it too faded away in the 2000s.

Model Rail and others made a very half-hearted attempt around the same time but it seemed that there was neither the expertise nor enthusiasm to press on.

"Too much foreign muck" was the cry so they gave up and concentrated on repeating the same stuff ad nauseam every month, talk about boring!

Thank goodness for Continental Modeller.

Now watch for the barrage of complaints about Sir Rod's layout not being British!

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

7 minutes ago, Clagsniffer said:

Doesn’t bother me that it’s not British or which magazine it’s in, I’m just happy to see such a famous figure promoting the hobby. Even if it only attracts a few extra modellers. Good on him.

And surely that's the main point here. For years we've put up with being written off as nerds/ anoraks / a lot worse, so we should be delighted to demonstrate that our ranks contain a fully fledged global rockstar, moreover he isn't alone.

Obviously he's a very capable modeller to put it mildly, and I wish I had a fraction of the skill and creativity to be seen in his work.

John.

Edited by John Tomlinson
  • Like 2
  • Agree 5

• 1 month later...