LMS & GWR Locos seen Bristol - Gloucester mid 30s

dube

Looking for a 4 track mainline to run my LMS and GWR trains together, the area around Standish Junction looks good as it’s straight track running between 2 bridges and I would need to go to 2 lines the other side of 1 bridge so the junction would work for my layout.

I think the LMS locos would be

Jubilee

Patriot

Black 5

Compound

Crab

2P

3F

4F

?

not to sure about the GWR locos

Castle

Hall

?

Edited by dube

• RMweb Premium

This website may be helpful, altough it deals mainly with a later period.

Off the top of my head:

Castles on Gloucester-Paddington expresses

28xx on heavy freight

517/48xx on the Chalford auto.

London - South Wales traffic would have been diverted via Gloucester if the Severn Tunnel were closed for engineering works.

I think Standish Junction was a BR innovation to allow GW trains access to Gloucester Eastgate. Happy to be proved wrong. 

The 4 track section between Gloucester and Cheltenham would also be a good location for mixed LMS GWR working but the 4 tracking might have been very late in the day. 

In which case it would be a good location for a twin track line. 

I think you can add rebuilt Scots and 8Fs to the LM list with the 0-4-4T and S&D 2-8-0 as occasional visitors. 

GWR would include big prairies, pannier tanks, 43xx , 28xx and Granges. 

• RMweb Premium
30 minutes ago, david.hill64 said:

I think Standish Junction was a BR innovation to allow GW trains access to Gloucester Eastgate. Happy to be proved wrong. 

The 4 track section between Gloucester and Cheltenham would also be a good location for mixed LMS GWR working but the 4 tracking might have been very late in the day. 

Standish Junction was originally the junction between the Cheltenham & Great Western Union Railway and the Bristol and Gloucester Railway, giving the latter access to Gloucester - both being broad gauge lines. The Midland built its own standard-gauge line parallel to the C&GWUR in 1854, so Standish ceased to be a junction. A double junction between the two routes was installed in 1873, to allow the Great Western to exercise running powers for goods trains south over the Midland. The juntion was improved in 1903 for the start of Great Western passenger services that used the Midland route to Yate South Junction, where they joined the new South Wales Direct line. The working expenses of the junction were shared between the two companies but the signalmen had to pass examination in both companies' rule books. There was a good deal of racing southbound to Standish, even before 1903. One pair of line (which?) was removed in 1968, restoring the pre-1854 situation.

The post-1903 situation is shown in the RCH Junction Diagram:

image.png.bf1bd5d132cdda40778282b187292ee2.png

The quadrupling between Gloucester and Cheltenham was certainly post-grouping.

Ref. P. Smith, An Historical Survey of the Midland in Gloucestershire (OPC, 1985) - well worth tracking down; it does even include some photos of Great Western engines!

Edited by Compound2632

Thanks I’ve looked through some books but most photos are BR era and much more LMS than GWR, still waiting for a crimson compound, occasional S&D 7F there was probably a very good variety it was on the SW - NE cross country route

Edited by dube

4 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

The post-1903 situation is shown in the RCH Junction Diagram:

Thank you. That certainly shows access for up WR trains to the down MR lines. I must be thinking of the junction that allowed down WR trains from Stonehouse access to the up MR lines and into Eastgate and vice versa. I thought this was a relatively late addition.

I wonder when the Tuffley Junction to Standish Junction was de-quadrified............presumably when Eastgate closed.

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, david.hill64 said:

Thank you. That certainly shows access for up WR trains to the down MR lines. I must be thinking of the junction that allowed down WR trains from Stonehouse access to the up MR lines and into Eastgate and vice versa. I thought this was a relatively late addition.

In the 1940s:

2 hours ago, david.hill64 said:

I wonder when the Tuffley Junction to Standish Junction was de-quadrified............presumably when Eastgate closed.

1968, so a few years before the closure of Eastgate.

Edited by Compound2632