120 ton LMS trolley

• 2 weeks later...

Hi PATRIOTCLASS /   What a fantastic wagon you have created....I would like to know if you intend to maybe produce one or two for those of us that do not have a 3d printer..I would love to have one....does it take long to print out one has a kit to be put together by myself or is this a personal project...all the best Chris A.

I'm wondering how it will print on a UV-resin printer...

Yes, the resin printer is much more effective in smaller details like the hundreds of rivets on this model.
The Anycubic i3 is really at its limit dotting the rivets, not getting problems with stringing.

Edited by PatriotClass

.I would like to know if you intend to maybe produce one or two for those of us that do not have a 3d printer.

I am really pleased about your interest, thanks!

Sorry, but offering the parts to print might start more requests than I have time to answer.

Printing the parts will take up to 14 hours of printing. The parts can be assembled like a model kit. You need further 6 M2 10 mm screws, some washers, the buffers, the wheel sets, the bearings and the couplers of your choice.

If there is interest I can add a file of a NEM poket that fits this model.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Many thanks for sharing the .stl files, PatriotClass. Who doesn't like a big wagon!

I'm part-way through printing the parts on my new Axis 3D printer, using PLA+.

Printed at 0.12mm layer resolution with a 0.3mm nozzle is giving me a good compromise between detail and speed. To do all the bogie parts (8 sideframe/inners, 4 stretchers, 2 centre stretchers and 2 bufferbeams has taken about 8 hours so far. I'll do the main side frames, end and cross members tomorrow (a similar print time) and then I'll consider the transformer itself (Cura reckons a 15-hour print at 50% infill density...)

I'm deviating slightly from your parts list, as I think doing 4 identical longs and 4 identical shorts (i.e. not mirrored), then cutting the 4 shorts down 1 'bay' each will allow me to assemble each side beam with 2 overlapping longs and the 2 shorts to complete, I think this will give stronger sidebeams.  

I'll be using EM gauge wheels (10.5mm diameter discs), some whitemetal LMS wagon buffers and my usual Ambis/Smiths 3-link couplings. I'm going to assume the wagon lasted into the BR blue era, so will be finished in unfitted grey with suitable BR lettering on black boxes, cobbled together from the decal stash. 

I'll post up some pics in due course.

Cheers!

Edit: Realised just in time that I need to print the 4 long sides all mirrored, having printed 4 identical short sides and laid them out on the bench in the right order.

So 4 long mirrored and 4 short originals (cut down by 1 bay) will give me the overlapping sets of pieces to make the side girders.

Although I've also realised I could edit the files to do 4 complete sides, as the print bed of the Axis is long enough at 300mm... 

Edited by CloggyDog

• RMweb Premium

Did a bit of a dry run with some of the parts I've printed and I fear the files are slightly overscale for 4mm.

Comparing with the dimensions on the drawing in LMS wagons Vol 2, I calculate a print at 85% scale will be correct for 4mm, so I'll have another go tomorrow. No big deal, easy enough to rescale in Cura at the slicing stage. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

My build is basically complete, just need to tidy, clean and paint. 

EM Gauge, running on 10.5mm (2'8") wheels. 

Many thanks to PatriotClass for creating and sharing the files, much appreciated. 

IMG_20201008_140025.jpg

Edited by CloggyDog
  • Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, benblack5 said:

I get a series of warning messages when trying to download. Is anyone able to share the files in a different way; it would be nice to give it a go.

I think the issue is Patriot class's choice of file sharing site, I know some have had the courage to download, but I'll admit I've been put off trying.

Jon

• Agree 1

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • RMweb Premium

Test-ran my print on the club EM layout yeaterday evening... I really should get round to priming and painting the beast! 

I did print a 2nd set of bogies and span bolsters for the later BR version, as these apoeared to use identical running gear with altered side girders. 

IMG_20220523_191217.jpg

Edited by CloggyDog
  • Like 9

• 9 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Spurred on by my club's annual modelling competition, I have finally painted, decalled and weathered the beast. 

The 'TRANSFORMER' and 'No loose shunting' came from the HMRS Pressfix BR freight sheet, the rest cobbled together from a variety of old decal sheets. 

IMG_20230313_193648.jpg

IMG_20230301_180056.jpg

IMG_20230314_221254.jpg

IMG_20230301_172632_edit_645964281152995.jpg

Edited by CloggyDog
  • Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

• RMweb Premium
On 22/03/2023 at 17:07, modelpara said:

is it NEM couplings?

Choice/fitting of couplers is left to the individual builder. I used Smiths screw-links as that suits the layout it'll run on.

I think you could mount a NEM pocket to the outer bogie after assembly, shimmed as required with plastic strip?

On 25/03/2023 at 14:06, CloggyDog said:

Choice/fitting of couplers is left to the individual builder. I used Smiths screw-links as that suits the layout it'll run on.

I think you could mount a NEM pocket to the outer bogie after assembly, shimmed as required with plastic strip?

Cheers, I must look at these when the files are available again and see if my printer can cope :)

Thanks

• 10 months later...

Hi Guys,

Sorry for so long not checking this thread.

The many rivets on the bridges blow up the stl files over the limit of 10 MB, so I can't use the attachment feature.

This time I try it with Dropbox:

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/22c34z9g97bwnp7udrwkz/120ton_bogie_trolley.zip?rlkey=ivgqzb6gmpsv4weoimkstda5o&dl=0

Please feel free to download!

TransformerWagon.JPG.7ddf01b893a864c7f0693517c09f34c5.JPG

• Like 2