Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Modern the chassis for Hornby Dublo R1

carlwebus

If it has to be a RTR mechanism, I would suggest looking at current small 0-6-0 tender loco mechanisms to get the circa 20mm diameter wheel that the R1 requires, combined with the low lying motor to fit under a fairly small boiler. I don't know the wheelbase of the R1, nor whether the model body is to scale, so it's up to you to judge which wheelbase proportions will do best. Your principal choices are 29+33mm (Crewe/Ramsbottom dimensions found on the Dean Goods, and possibly the 700 class) and 32+34mm (Derby standard found on the Wainwright C class, MR 3F). My guess is that the 29+33mm will work best.

• 1 month later...

Hi Guys (and girls of course)

Still  thinking about the replacement RTR  chassis/ motor to fit in the Hornby Dublo R1 body that I am detailing.

When last  discussed the Oxford Rail Dean Goods looked good. Problem : Oxford Rail products don't seem to like my controller.

Looked at the Hornby J15 - the chassis  and motor will fit well.

BUT: (and this may  be a naive comment but that's  where I am): Like the Dean Goods the J15 engine will not run unless it is connected via  the DCC blanking plate etc which is located in the tender!  That's not helpful  when I'm trying to create a tenderless tank locomotive.  There are four wires running between the loco to the tender via the  plug-in on the  tender. I  suppose that two of these wires are connected to the pick-ups on the loco (one each to the pick ups on one side of the loco). These take current from the loco's pick-ups to the tender/ blanking plate? The other two  wires, I guess, bring  current from the tender electrical connection back to the motor?

If that is correct I should be able to bypass the tender and connect the two loco pickup wires direct to the motor? 

But how to determine which wires are doing   which job?  Service sheet of no help here!

• RMweb Premium

Later versions of the Oxford DG have a coreless motor, no good on certain analogue controllers.

BTW The wheelbase should be 7' 4" + 8' 2" with 5' 1" wheels

HD did 6' 6" + 8' 0", which is a whole foot too short.

Why, they were starting from scratch, or was it a left over from the LNER 0-6-2T?

Edited by melmerby
  • Informative/Useful 1

20 hours ago, carlwebus said:

...If that is correct I should be able to bypass the tender and connect the two loco pickup wires direct to the motor? 

But how to determine which wires are doing   which job? 

You will have no trouble when you actually see the mechanism. Unsolder the wires from the motor brushes, and they can be binned. The other two wires are connected to the pick up wipers, and should be connected to the motor brushes, job done. But based on Melmerby's dimensions above, the J15 coupled wheelbase is near a scale foot too long (7'9"+8'6") don't know whether that might prove ill proportioned under the body. It is a very sweet running mechanism.

While your controller may not like the OR model, Hornby have offered a loco drive Dean Goods I believe. That should have the 'Ramsbottom/Crewe' dimensions of 7'3"+8'3", and you can award anyone spotting the centre wheelset a scale inch out of position the 'precision eye sight trophy'.

15 hours ago, melmerby said:

...BTW The wheelbase should be 7' 4" + 8' 2" with 5' 1" wheels

HD did 6' 6" + 8' 0", which is a whole foot too short.

Why, they were starting from scratch, or was it a left over from the LNER 0-6-2T?

Nothing to do with the LNER N2 for which it is even more wildly out, since that has a coupled w/b of 7'3"+9'0". I expect it was someone drunk at the drawing board at Binns Road. (I am the completest unbeliever in 'the marvel that was Hornby Dublo' proposition. In a group of friends we played with both H-D 3 rail and Triang, and the Triang was heartily preferred; because it worked reliably in the hands of children. That despite the fact that the H-D set up was way larger than any other, with more locos and stock. But it was junk, forever derailing, uncoupling, stalling, having a wire come loose.)

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

While your controller may not like the OR model, Hornby have offered a loco drive Dean Goods I believe.

I don't think so.:(

Wouldn't mind one if they did.:)

Unfortunately not. I would have hoovered them up otherwise. Same goes for the Airfix 4F.

I did mention it to the chap at the 2004 Railfest in York (who in hindsight may have been SK) and he said all the tender drive models were going to revamped or retooled with loco drive chassis. Maybe circumstances and priorities changed.

Jason

You guys (as always) are really quiote remarkable!

I'm most grateful for the responses - particularly that from Hatfield (34theletterbetween B&D) for the confirmation of what to do (feels a bit like XPD - cut the wrong  wire and boom)! 

I shall go for it.

The J15  chassis  and motor fit well under the R1 body.  As long as the front wheels line up with the  splasher in front of the side tank (and they do) it looks fine as the other two wheels are under the side tank and don't really show. I tried all sorts of other potential chassis/ motors (J11, C, J36, jinty, E4, L&Y tank, coal tank  etc ) and all had motors that were too big.   Because of that I don't want to  risk  shelling out on the OR Dean as I cannot  check its dimensions without actually buying the thing.  Can get a brand new J15 for far less than they are going for on eBay.  (If I  don't canabalise it I can sit it with my other four J15s on my Aldeburgh terminus layout).

My controller is one made for me donkey's years  ago by a mate who  worked at the BT  Research at Martlesham Heath.  It has an inertia device  and I'm using it because I have some can motor locos that don't like my Gaugemaster feed-back job.  OR locos tend to hesitate and then shoot away at warp  speed X.  Think I'll get a simple Gaugemaster Combi.

Best wishes

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

Unfortunately not. I would have hoovered them up otherwise. Same goes for the Airfix 4F.

I did mention it to the chap at the 2004 Railfest in York (who in hindsight may have been SK) and he said all the tender drive models were going to revamped or retooled with loco drive chassis. Maybe circumstances and priorities changed.

Jason

I get the impression that SK keeps his cards close to his chest and tends to say what the punter wants.

I asked him a question about why had certain livery versions of Schools class locos not been depicted and he gave an answer that could be called "watch this space". I'm still watching............. :D

• 4 months later...
On ‎20‎/‎05‎/‎2020 at 16:04, carlwebus said:

End result: OK not brilliant but......)

Looks well to someone like me with no knowledge of the prototype. One of the smoothest running RTR OO steam mechanisms to ice the cake, neat job.

On ‎20‎/‎05‎/‎2020 at 16:12, melmerby said:

I've still got an R1 body as the chassis was put under the U1 kit, (which was even more incorrect).

Maybe time to put something under it?

You now have a potentially yet better option from RTR OO than that demonstrated by Carlwebus' use of the J15 mech.. Hornby's latest 0-6-0 is the J36: 20mm diameter wheels, 7'6"+8' wb. So based on the dimensions you quoted up thread, that's correct overall wheelbase, centre wheelset scale 2" out of position. The mechanism is equivalent the J15, very sweet indeed, one caveat is that the J36 has the boiler pitched higher than the J15. If you like the sound of this, I will measure the maximum height of the J36 mechanism - probably to the top of the motor casing - from rail top so you can assess whether it is a fit in the body.

On ‎23‎/‎05‎/‎2020 at 17:28, carlwebus said:

I have a j36 and tried its chassis on the R1 body. It didn't fit. The only good fit was the J15. All the rest were too big.

Was the 'too big' aspect the height of the motor?

Did wonder if that might be the case, because compared to the J15 the J36 has a larger diameter boiler at a higher centreline pitch. RTR manufacturers do tend to expand mechanism layouts into available voids...

• RMweb Gold
On 20/05/2020 at 16:12, melmerby said:

I've still got an R1 body as the chassis was put under the U1 kit, (which was even more incorrect).

Maybe time to put something under it?

Judging by your locale, may I respectfully suggest a Taff Vale H class, for the Pwllyrhebog incline? Almost the right wheelbase, and just about the right diameter wheels. I know, I'm biased.....

Yes, the J36 motor would not fit in the R1 body.  I tried all sorts of other potential chassis/ motors (J11, C, J36, jinty, E4, L&Y tank, coal tank  etc ) and all had motors that were too big. 

• Informative/Useful 1