GWR Ballast Hopper wagon to diagram P7

This post is about construction details of the ballast hopper wagons to diagram P7, specifically the solebars and the headstocks.

1/ the Southwark Bridge Models 7mm kit for this wagon provides alternative coupling plates for the headstock - one option is a rectangular plate with a rivet in each corner, the other option is an oval plate with one rivet eitherside of the hole for the coupling hook.  Which of the Lots had the oval plate and which had the rectangular plate?

2/ the same kit offers alternative re-inforcing plate overlays for the joint between the solebar and the headstock - one option has a cut-out in the plate to allow access to the cotter pin which secures a spring shoe to the end of the buffer ram, the other option does not have the cut-out.  Which Lots were built with the cut-out in the re-inforcement plate?

I have Great Western Wagons (Tourret), Great Western Wagons Appendix (Russell) and Freight Wagons and Loads (Russell) and I have studied the relevant photographs in those books.  The photos in GWWA are re-used in the other books so the number of individual P7 wagons appearing in these books is quite low hence difficult to draw conclusions from the evidence available to me.

Please feel free to add any photos of P7 wagons to this topic.

thank you and regards, Graham

• Like 2