Forum connectivity or performance issues

I'm down in darkest Africa at the moment on a very slow connection and the site is running much better than I would expect in the circumstances. Let's hope it stays that way!!

John

• Like 1

4 hours ago, talisman56 said:

Getting a much better performance from the RMWeb site over the past few occasions I have visited. Thanks for your efforts in clearing up the issue.

Agree totally with you in thanking all concerned,

We become so used to things working quickly these days we forget those in the background working their socks off making sure these things happen.

Andy many thanks to you and the team behind you.

• Agree 4
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

OK, it seems I'm still struggling.

Time to build 'Content I posted in stream':

MacBook Pro       - 53 seconds

iMac (desktop)     - 57 seconds

Windows 10         - 57 seconds

So, the conclusion here is that despite a fast fibre optic connection for some reason this forum, alone, is very slow for me when selecting 'content I posted in' despite the work being done by all. Guess I'll just have to put up with it ...

I know it doesn’t help, but we’re also on fibre and both my iPad and 27” Mac are extremely fast.  VIew New Content and Content I started all load within 2-3 seconds.

The only occasional delay is when saving a post. It’s like night and day when compared to a week or two ago.We’re in Berkshire, so perhaps it’s localised where you are.

I really don't know a lot about Macs, but they work for me, so wondered what are all the tabs? Macro's? down the left at the beginning of your video. Any reason for using them and not just clicking on the forum direct? 

Could they be the reason why yours in running so slow?

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, gordon s said:

I really don't know a lot about Macs, but they work for me, so wondered what are all the tabs? Macro's? down the left at the beginning of your video. Any reason for using them and not just clicking on the forum direct? 

Could they be the reason why yours in running so slow?

Left hand side is the dock which you have across the bottom of your screen. Only two are actually running, email and browser. Even if I just have my browser active the performance is no different.

No, I meant all the RM web links that seem to come from a directory labelled forums. I’m also using Safari, where you appear to have Firefox.

I’m really not a Mac expert, even though I’ve used one for years. It just does what I want without falling over frequently. It fact it never crashes out at all. I probably only use 10% of its capabilities, so anything beyond the basics and I’m guessing or Googling.....;)

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

What is on my screen is the list of topics I’ve posted in, same as yours.

Yes, I’m using Firefox but I’ve tried Opera and Safari and they are just as bad. In fact I’m using safari now.

i cannot see a solution and, as I said, I guess I’m just going to have to put up with poor performance from one forum when other I use are fine.

And to be fair to Andy and Phil I don’t blame them in any way at all. In fact I think they are as mystified by it as I am.

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Richard E said:

OK, here's mine. Just don't fall asleep watching it ...

Oh, apologies for the TV audio in the background.

Hi Richard,

In this video you are visiting the "content I posted in" page by fetching a bookmarked URL rather than by clicking the link in the "My activity streams" dropdown, which is what Gordon did. I notice that the URL is slightly different, with a blank anchor pos reference on the end.

Bit of a longshot but: Have you tried using the dropdown? If so, is that just as bad?

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Harlequin said:

Hi Richard,

In this video you are visiting the "content I posted in" page by fetching a bookmarked URL rather than by clicking the link in the "My activity streams" dropdown, which is what Gordon did. I notice that the URL is slightly different, with a blank anchor pos reference on the end.

Bit of a longshot but: Have you tried using the dropdown? If so, is that just as bad?

Makes no difference at all.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

I'm seeing occasions where performance is terrible*, I wonder - without proof - if it's connected with threads with lots of iexternal mages / external links and it's the external links that are causing the issues which is why they are random as performance relies on third party sites.

* it's not often enough to cause my moan button to become active but it is very noticeable *at times*

Interesting . . .

I'm in a different location in South Africa now. Tried RMWeb on the guest Windows PC where I am staying and it seemed very slow and laggy. Logged in on the nine year old iPad I carry on my travels and on WiFi it absolutely flies. Make what you will of that! As is usually the case all the other sites I checked went really quickly on the PC and on my iPad.

Interestingly, not that it is that important, the location data which the forum software collects is often completely wrong. My home iMac is shown in a number of different locations in the UK when it has never left my desk and my router has not rebooted to get a different IP address in months. My current location in South Africa as shown is about 700 miles wrong. It also thinks I am logged in on my old iPad when I am currently back using the guest PC. I know that location data collected in this manner is not especially reliable, but what the Invision software records is rather crazy.

It seems that despite all the hours Andy is putting in to try give us the best possible experience on RMW, his efforts are being partially thwarted by a combination of different circumstances which are unpredictable and random in the way they affect browsing the forums. I hope he does not feel that people on here are ungrateful, it is just very frustrating when the forum runs well and then plays up completely at random.

John

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

The forum has definitely been behaving better for me since the recent upgrade.

I've seen a few long page fetches but they are much less frequent than they were before and on the whole response times are fast enough that they don't distract me like they used to.

Well done Andy and team for persisting with it and making a good step forward.

• Agree 6

• RMweb Premium

Right, been away for a few days and took laptop with me. Laptop was used a couple of times, tethered to mobile, to access forum and speed was fine. Home now and it is really quick with, at the moment, no issues and around 5 seconds to update. Quite strange but I'll not reject the change. :D

• Moderators
16 minutes ago, beast66606 said:

@Andy Y

Just - within the last 5 minutes - had a huge delay while posting a reply.

I had one too where it took a couple of minutes to submit a reply around the same time. It seemed to pick up after that.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Further info :

2 x tracert commands run

tracert www.rmweb.co.uk

Tracing route to www.rmweb.co.uk [104.26.1.111]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1     1 ms     2 ms    <1 ms  bthub [192.168.1.254]
  2     2 ms     2 ms     3 ms  172.16.15.86
  3     7 ms     6 ms     6 ms  31.55.186.177
  4     7 ms     8 ms     8 ms  31.55.186.184
  5     8 ms     7 ms     7 ms  host213-121-192-54.ukcore.bt.net [213.121.192.54]
  6     7 ms     7 ms     7 ms  peer7-et-4-0-0.telehouse.ukcore.bt.net [194.72.16.120]
  7    18 ms     9 ms     8 ms  109.159.253.95
  8     8 ms     7 ms     7 ms  104.26.1.111

Trace complete.

tracert www.rmweb.co.uk

Tracing route to www.rmweb.co.uk [104.26.1.111]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1     1 ms    <1 ms    <1 ms  bthub [192.168.1.254]
  2     3 ms     3 ms     2 ms  172.16.15.86
  3     *        *        *     Request timed out.
  4     8 ms     8 ms     8 ms  31.55.186.184
  5     7 ms     9 ms     8 ms  host213-121-192-54.ukcore.bt.net [213.121.192.54]
  6     7 ms     7 ms     7 ms  peer7-et-4-0-0.telehouse.ukcore.bt.net [194.72.16.120]
  7    10 ms     9 ms     8 ms  109.159.253.95
  8     7 ms     7 ms     7 ms  104.26.1.111

Trace complete.

On repeat runs the emboldened figures, step 7,  vary from 8ms to 24 ms, the other figures are pretty consistent - possibly a pointer  ?

• RMweb Gold

In the last few days I have sometimes had replies to threads that took ages to 'go' - but if I clicked on a 'like' while waiting, the page updated instantly and my like was shown, yet my reply was still pending for a number of seconds afterwards.  It's as if certain actions are easily dealt with, while sometimes replies take much longer to be added to a thread. 

• Informative/Useful 1

I think Ian's right - new posts seem to take ages to save, while other things are really quick.   The one I see most is when working my way down VNC - if I go 'back' from a thread, it takes forever, but if I click on the VNC link at the top it's much quicker.

This is through Firefox on multiple different machines.

• 1 month later...

It may just be me as no one else has mentioned it, but the forum is dreadfully slow this afternoon. Not a complaint, just an observation.

Saving a post takes ages and clicking on a topic often just brings up a white page. The loading bar shows about 30% or so has downloaded and then it stops. I had a pop up a few seconds ago about Error 500? and something to do with SQL database, but it had gone before I got a chance to take a screenshot.

Anyone else having a problem?

All my other sites are fine....

• Agree 4