Forum connectivity or performance issues

I found it slow this afternoon, but it then improved so I deleted the post. Sadly tonight it’s back to slow loading and eventually, error messages.

Hopefully someone will come up with a solution and these issues will improve. I’d certainly prefer a slow RMweb to none at all.......

• Agree 4

5 hours ago, hayfield said:

I think its just that the site is so popular, I do find hitting the circular arrow tab speeds up the change from page to page

IF that is the case - and I doubt it - popularity will swiftly wane.

Patience has it's limits !!

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Agree 4

• RMweb Gold

I don’t think it’s related to high traffic at any given time because it seems to be semi-random (it’s been doing it on and off all afternoon for me) and it’s doing it now (stupidly early in the AM).

Whatever the problem is that builds up and requires a reset is possibly building up more quickly recently. Some sort of resource leak, I guess.

Edited by Harlequin

3 hours ago, Harlequin said:

I don’t think it’s related to high traffic at any given time because it seems to be semi-random (it’s been doing it on and off all afternoon for me) and it’s doing it now (stupidly early in the AM).

Whatever the problem is that builds up and requires a reset is possibly building up more quickly recently. Some sort of resource leak, I guess.

I'm experiencing the same problems – slow yesterday afternoon with several 552 errors and definitely a bit slow this morning compared with the very fast performance I normally see at this time of day after the changes made recently. In particular I notice the long delay if I click on a Go to latest post star or button.

John

PS: This post took over half a minute to save first time before I could resume using the Forum.

Edited by JJGraphics
To add further comment
  • Agree 1

To my eye the problem is definitely site related. Other web pages load very quickly but RMWeb has been as slow as treacle for me for several months now. Consistently. And I mean sometimes 20 or 30 seconds to load a page or post on a thread, and some posts failing to action so that I refresh the page after a few minutes to find my post has uploaded. I'm using the most recent release of Firefox but checked on IE and it is the same on that browser as well. The site is so slow I now use it less than I used to because I just don't have the time and patience to sit watching nothing happening.

Something in the forum code is the culprit I expect and I wonder if its to do with images, maybe the caching of them? There were some instances of all images being displayed twice in some threads for a short while after the new forums went live. That can still be seen on some threads.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

49 minutes ago, Martin S-C said:

To my eye the problem is definitely site related. Other web pages load very quickly but RMWeb has been as slow as treacle for me for several months now. Consistently. And I mean sometimes 20 or 30 seconds to load a page or post on a thread, and some posts failing to action so that I refresh the page after a few minutes to find my post has uploaded. I'm using the most recent release of Firefox but checked on IE and it is the same on that browser as well. The site is so slow I now use it less than I used to because I just don't have the time and patience to sit watching nothing happening.

Something in the forum code is the culprit I expect and I wonder if its to do with images, maybe the caching of them? There were some instances of all images being displayed twice in some threads for a short while after the new forums went live. That can still be seen on some threads.

I'm wondering if it's Firefox.  I had the latest Firefox until a few weeks ago and RMW and a few other sites were very slow indeed.

So quite by chance I tried Microsoft Edge for the first time ever - and it flies!  I've been using it ever since and probably won't go back now. Pages are loading virtually instantly and I only have a basic Sky Broadband, currently around 10mbs which is fine for me.

15 minutes ago, cravensdmufan said:

I'm wondering if it's Firefox.  I had the latest Firefox until a few weeks ago and RMW and a few other sites were very slow indeed.

So quite by chance I tried Microsoft Edge for the first time ever - and it flies!  I've been using it ever since and probably won't go back now. Pages are loading virtually instantly and I only have a basic Sky Broadband, currently around 10mbs which is fine for me.

I don't think Firefox is the problem. I use a Mac and the same problems exist on both Firefox and Safari on that platform. I also sometimes use an iPad to access the site with the same outcome. I have additionally accessed the site from PCs and Macs in different locations using Firefox, Edge, Internet Explorer, Chrome and Opera. If the forum is going well, they all fly if it is not they all behave badly, but the situation can sometimes change for each click . . .

John

PS: This post added in a couple of seconds and the site is absolutely flying for me at the moment.

Edited by JJGraphics
Added comment
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, cravensdmufan said:

Not specifically disagreeing with your comment about Firefox, just adding my experience with Safari, both on my Mac and also the version that runs on my iPad, that it mirrors what others have been seeing.  Good performance sometimes interspersed by periods of very slow page loading and uploading of new posts. 

• Agree 1

I doubt its Firefox. As I said I have tried with Internet Explorer and its equally slow using that. Firefox is fast on plenty of other websites. I can't test with Edge as I refuse to have it on my PC!

It could be a combination of the code in some browsers and the site but I wish anyone good luck in finding that conflict.

For me this has become a real chore. I think it first began in about mid or late September... maybe early October... and its been like it every day, no matter the time of day, since then. It has made the site very unattractive to visit.

I wonder if it would be possible to disable certain site features one at a time and see if that has any effect? My guess is its still image related. I genuinely expect a version of the site that had user uploaded images disabled would fly along.

@AY Mod Andy - I would also be happy to do some testing if you were to set up a mirror site and play about with it. I imagine a few others would volunteer to see if we can make any progress in a live environment but without tinkering with the main site.

• Agree 1

• Moderators
7 minutes ago, Martin S-C said:

its been like it every day, no matter the time of day, since then. It has made the site very unattractive to visit.

The site has been running fine for most for several weeks so there may be local issues affecting some. Thank you for the support offer but we have data policies to uphold which would preclude that approach. If anyone in our IT is available tomorrow I'll see if they can assist.

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
53 minutes ago, gordon s said:

......but I doubt Microsoft Edge will work on my iPad and iMac......^_^

There is a version of Microsoft Edge for iPad but it uses the same rendering engine as Safari (as does every browser on that platform—it's an Apple requirement). Edge for PC is going to be replaced soon by a new version based on Chromium (the open source version of Google Chrome).

• Thanks 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Harlequin said:

For the record the website was down in the wee small hours last night, giving 522 errors.

Last night's was a bit different as the server decided it would sit down in a dark corner from about 3.00 for four hours and do a file system check. The first time it's done that in 202 days it tells me. There wasn't anything I could intervene with during that but the upside is that it seems to be running OK this morning.

• Thanks 4

• RMweb Gold
33 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

Last night's was a bit different as the server decided it would sit down in a dark corner from about 3.00 for four hours and do a file system check. The first time it's done that in 202 days it tells me. There wasn't anything I could intervene with during that but the upside is that it seems to be running OK this morning.

Fair enough.

You can never rely on a damn computer to do the same thing two times in a row!  :wink_mini:

• Like 1

• Moderators
5 minutes ago, Harlequin said:

You can never rely on a damn computer to do the same thing two times in a row! 

True, but I can rely on the thing to throw a bloody wobbly every Christmas or New Year.

Just looked at the support tickets I've raised over the holiday period over the last three years to relive the horrors of a malware attack and automatic billing issues.

• Friendly/supportive 10

• RMweb Gold

It is at times like this that a minority of the membership needs to remember this is all free, gratis and costs eff all. 

I'm sorry holiday periods and too many weekends are spoilt trying to keep the forum going, and am grateful for all your efforts, Andy. 

• Agree 9
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

It is at times like this that a minority of the membership needs to remember this is all free, gratis and costs eff all. 

Absolutely. But I can't help feeling RMweb response would be at least 100% improved if the dreadful Invision software wasn't quite so dreadful. It's page loading sequence is inexplicable, as is the mechanism for ignoring threads. I'm not surprised the server is having a hard time.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1