Bachmann Dynamis Ultra

miles73128

Hi, a couple of questions please Hive mind!

I’ve  just bought the above. Very disappointed. Coming from a Hornby Elite (which I though was complicated) this is even more baffling. 1) I have 35 DCC fitted locos- apparently I have to re-code every single loco (on programming track) for the unit to recognise the DCC address? Is this correct? 
2) I’ve done one, but when I change to main track, it’s still completely dead! I’ve re-read, several times the instructions, I can’t see how to change the hand set from track programming to main track?

Any help would be very much appreciated. 
regards 

I have used neither, but the only reason I can thing of that would cause the address not to be recognised is that the Dynamis is expecting a Long Address and the Elite used Short addresses. DCC fitted loco's should work with any controller that follows the NMRA standard.

Regards,

John P

• Agree 1

15 minutes ago, jpendle said:

I have used neither, but the only reason I can thing of that would cause the address not to be recognised is that the Dynamis is expecting a Long Address and the Elite used Short addresses. DCC fitted loco's should work with any controller that follows the NMRA standard.

Regards,

John P

Thanks John. But I use long addresses on Elite and the loco was reprogrammed with long address on Dynamis as well.  Your right, it SHOULD work with any NMRA standard. Advised by Bachmann that each loco needs to be programmed into the base unit first. 

When Bachmann bought in the Dynamis from ESU (was it about a dozen years ago?), it was designed with an internal "roster" of locos.  Only locos in the roster (ie. known to the Dynamis) could be run on the unit.   If you're coming along with an existing loco fleet, then yes, this is a right pain.

Frankly, I don't see the Dynamis as an "upgrade" from the Elite.  And I see the Elite as being near the bottom of the DCC controller usability.   Depending how you bought it, you might be still in time to return it for refund (eg. if bought mail order, the distance selling regulations give you an absolute right of two weeks to return it for any reason including "I don't like it"), or if the selling dealer is feeling generous, they might take it back and let you exchange for something else.  

Easier to use and wireless ?   Lots of options. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Nigelcliffe said:

When Bachmann bought in the Dynamis from ESU (was it about a dozen years ago?), it was designed with an internal "roster" of locos.  Only locos in the roster (ie. known to the Dynamis) could be run on the unit.   If you're coming along with an existing loco fleet, then yes, this is a right pain.

Frankly, I don't see the Dynamis as an "upgrade" from the Elite.  And I see the Elite as being near the bottom of the DCC controller usability.   Depending how you bought it, you might be still in time to return it for refund (eg. if bought mail order, the distance selling regulations give you an absolute right of two weeks to return it for any reason including "I don't like it"), or if the selling dealer is feeling generous, they might take it back and let you exchange for something else.  

Easier to use and wireless ?   Lots of options. 

Thanks for this. The “roster” is a deal issue for me, so it’s going back. 
Seems to be a lack of decent DCC controllers on the market.  

22 minutes ago, miles73128 said:

Thanks for this. The “roster” is a deal issue for me, so it’s going back. 
Seems to be a lack of decent DCC controllers on the market.  

Depends what else you've looked at.  If its just the two main UK trainset makers; Hornby and Bachmann, then yes your choice isn't very much. 

But there are an awful lot of other makers and systems available.

If you say what you hope to have from a new system, perhaps your budget, then people might give some suggestions.  I'd guess you're seeking a wireless handset (because the Dynamis is wireless).   Would using a smartphone be acceptable as a handset or not ? 

18 minutes ago, Nigelcliffe said:

Depends what else you've looked at.  If its just the two main UK trainset makers; Hornby and Bachmann, then yes your choice isn't very much. 

But there are an awful lot of other makers and systems available.

If you say what you hope to have from a new system, perhaps your budget, then people might give some suggestions.  I'd guess you're seeking a wireless handset (because the Dynamis is wireless).   Would using a smartphone be acceptable as a handset or not ? 

Ok, key points, ability to control F1-30 with direct access. Large info screen so can see status, enough mph to have 30 (ish) sound idling (all my DCC are sound) with 4 trains in motion. Looked at Guagemaster, but out of stock. Wireless not required. Budget not an issue. 
Will move eventually to PC based system, but not currently convinced of long term longevity and future system continuity. Hence looking for stand alone control unit  until DCC matures with a future proof PC platform. Thanks for your help! 

Edited by miles73128
Typo

Alternatives, and  far from complete list:

Roco Z21, with a WiFi Multimaus handset - one of the more up-to-date systems, and compatible with a lot of different maker's hardware. Note there is a significant difference in capabilities (and thus price) between the black cased "Z21" and the white cased "z21".

Signatrak ACE.  Big screen, UK maker.  But small volume compared to others.

Piko SmartControl.  Designed by ESU, its ESU's replacement for the Dynamis style of handset.

Uhlenbrock Daisy II.   Slightly regimented setup process, but handset fits in the hand extremely well.  Controls any functions, but its much better at F0 to F24 than those higher than 24. 

NCE PowerCab plus a SB5 booster .  The PowerCab is a very popular unit, but I would observe that the lack of ability to customise "latching" or "non latching" on function keys makes sound decoders slightly less flexible than most European made throttles.

Lenz LH101 based system.  Expensive,  no longer a cutting edge company,  but reliable.  New LH101 handset is decent to use.

ESU ECoS.  Desk based system with two throttle knobs. 

The lack of Gaugemaster system stock seems to be a lack of supply from MRC in the US who make the system.  MRC changed hands not that long ago.  Gaugemaster put a badge on MRC systems and provide UK warranty support for Gaugemaster badged items. 

DCC is as mature as its going to get.  It's been around for 25 years, and systems with PC integration for over 20 years.   "Future proofing" will be more of an issue with changes in computer and phone technology.    If you want a PC based system, might as well jump straight into that. 

- Nigel

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

6 minutes ago, Nigelcliffe said:

Alternatives, and  far from complete list:

Roco Z21, with a WiFi Multimaus handset - one of the more up-to-date systems, and compatible with a lot of different maker's hardware. Note there is a significant difference in capabilities (and thus price) between the black cased "Z21" and the white cased "z21".

Signatrak ACE.  Big screen, UK maker.  But small volume compared to others.

Piko SmartControl.  Designed by ESU, its ESU's replacement for the Dynamis style of handset.

Uhlenbrock Daisy II.   Slightly regimented setup process, but handset fits in the hand extremely well.  Controls any functions, but its much better at F0 to F24 than those higher than 24. 

NCE PowerCab plus a SB5 booster .  The PowerCab is a very popular unit, but I would observe that the lack of ability to customise "latching" or "non latching" on function keys makes sound decoders slightly less flexible than most European made throttles.

Lenz LH101 based system.  Expensive,  no longer a cutting edge company,  but reliable.  New LH101 handset is decent to use.

ESU ECoS.  Desk based system with two throttle knobs. 

The lack of Gaugemaster system stock seems to be a lack of supply from MRC in the US who make the system.  MRC changed hands not that long ago.  Gaugemaster put a badge on MRC systems and provide UK warranty support for Gaugemaster badged items. 

DCC is as mature as its going to get.  It's been around for 25 years, and systems with PC integration for over 20 years.   "Future proofing" will be more of an issue with changes in computer and phone technology.    If you want a PC based system, might as well jump straight into that. 

- Nigel

Wow. Very useful. Thanks Nigel. 

1 hour ago, Nigelcliffe said:

When Bachmann bought in the Dynamis from ESU (was it about a dozen years ago?),........

A good guess Nigel.

The original version of the Dynamis was first shown at the Nuremberg Toy Fair, Feb 2007.  .....nearly 13 years ago.

• RMweb Premium
On 15/11/2019 at 16:55, miles73128 said:

1) I have 35 DCC fitted locos- apparently I have to re-code every single loco (on programming track) for the unit to recognise the DCC address? Is this correct? 

You have an issue there - the Ultra roster limit is 30 locos, look for an addendum slip to correct the instruction manual which show 40.

On 15/11/2019 at 18:32, miles73128 said:

Will move eventually to PC based system, but not currently convinced of long term longevity and future system continuity. Hence looking for stand alone control unit  until DCC matures with a future proof PC platform. Thanks for your help! 

Ultra is compatible with the RocRail software as it is essentially a re-badged ESU Navigator. I have mine working with RocRail on a laptop and wireless to an android tablet. The WiFi is more robust than the infra red of the Dynamis and does not demand line of sight.

Having said that, I do like the ergonomics of the Dynamis handset and get along quite happily with it.

• Thanks 1