1960 Hungarian Railways points repair instruction film

Welly

• RMweb Premium

I stumbled on this 1960 vintage Hungarian Railways instruction film on how to fix points interlocking problems.

Check out the Communist era uniforms,railway staff saluting each other, having to move balance weights on the mechanisms as part of the procedure and the Siemens Halske barrel levers! (one of the comments below that film suggests that these levers are still in use at the location today!)

I know it's 20 minutes and in Hungarian but I was happy to watch the action https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fO7aVTcwqBs

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

31 minutes ago, Gordon A said:

Was the mechanism also acting as a locking system? A type of economic point lock?

Gordon A

Yes, these are trailable facing point locks, known as a hook lock. (Same principle later used in the BR clamp lock). The main action is a double wire worked version operated from a turnover lever frame. The mechanism is designed to lock up the lever in the frame after it is trailed through. You can see it being trailed then the operator finding the lever locked. The last bit shows a similar set but operated by electric motor from a panel.

• Thanks 1