Southern Coaches Survey by Mike King

Godfrey Glyn

• RMweb Gold

Another masterpiece by Mike King which covers both Pre-grouping and BR Standard Mk 1 stock. The pre-grouping companies covered include the London and South Western, South Eastern and Chatham Railway, the London Chatham and Dover Railway, the London Brighton and South Coast Railway and the Somerset and Dorset Joint Railway. There is a huge amount of text, loads of plans, tables photographs - both black and white and some colour. At £25 I think its great value.

Paul at Alton has plenty of copies and certainly I am going to be spending quite a bit of time with my copy in the coming weeks. Mike hints that he has more than enough material to fill a Volume 2 but that it will depend on the sales of this volume.

Well worth a look if you're interested in the topic, I hope Hattons have one in their collection!

all the very best

Godfrey

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 6

• RMweb Gold

PeteN92 said

"Brilliant, seems as the old An illustrated history of southern coaches is hard to find as it is and at a reasonable price.  This may serve as a good alternative."

Sorry to disappoint you but this new, but wonderful, book does not cover the coaches built by the Southern Railway, so you will not find any information on Maunsell or Bulleid stock. It  specifically covers the periods before and after the Southern Railway. I am afraid you will still need to hunt down a copy of the Illustrated History of Southern Coaches. Hopefully if this book sells well, and it deserves to, we might see a second volume in this series AND a re-print of the Illustrated History of Southern Coaches! One can only hope.

all the best

Godfrey

Edited by Godfrey Glyn
missing letter
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 2