Which GWR locos had the shirt button late 30s

dube

I want to run some GWR locos at the at the end of the 30s, I know not all types got the shirt button logo and there would be a mix of both GREAT WESTERN and shirtbutton, any info on what types got it ? assuming that most passenger, new builds and repainted got the shirtbuton

Edited by dube

I don't believe there were any GWR classes that didn't receive the shirtbutton. As you say, new and overhauled (=repainted) alike would received it. There's nothing I've seen which suggests there was any policy to prioritise different classes, though one may guess that older and absorbed stock that ran low mileages might be the longer survivors. Absorbed stock might not be branded at all.

• RMweb Gold

The shirtbutton was applied to any loco that went through a paint shop after main works ( Swindon and Caerphilly) overhaul between 1934 and the introduction of the austerity liveries in 1942, irrespective of class.  Some individual locos of any class might have not had a repaint during that 8 year period, having been recently painted in 1934 or perhaps spent time in storage, in which case they never carried the livery. 

Same applies to passenger rated rolling stock.