Slaters S7?

johnarcher

You are correct to say that Slaters sells S7 axles for loco driving and non-driving wheels and that the standard range of wheels for 0-FS do fit on those axles.  Although not sold by Slaters that company does manufacture a range of S7 driving and carrying wheels which are sold via the Scaleseven Group.

Please let me know what wheels you want and I can check to see if that part is in the S7G range.  Or, follow this link for a summary of the range...  sorry to say that the summary is not up-to-date as there is no mention of the recent release of S7 wheels for class 37 and class 47 diesels.

regards,

Graham Beare,

Trade Liaison Officer for S7G.

52 minutes ago, Western Star said:

You are correct to say that Slaters sells S7 axles for loco driving and non-driving wheels and that the standard range of wheels for 0-FS do fit on those axles.  Although not sold by Slaters that company does manufacture a range of S7 driving and carrying wheels which are sold via the Scaleseven Group.

Please let me know what wheels you want and I can check to see if that part is in the S7G range.  Or, follow this link for a summary of the range...  sorry to say that the summary is not up-to-date as there is no mention of the recent release of S7 wheels for class 37 and class 47 diesels.

regards,

Graham Beare,

Trade Liaison Officer for S7G.

Thanks for the reply. You don't say they're OK so do I assume that the normal Slaters FS drivers are not compatible with S7 track, even on the S7 axles?

At the moment I was wondering about wheels for the Slaters class K Mannng Wardle kit (or maybe the S&D one), which I don't think are available in true S7 form?

Just to be clear, Slater's Finescale wheels are just that. They are not intended to run on S7 trackwork irrespective of the length of the axles. Most Slater's loco wheels purchased from Slater's will need refining to meet S7 standards. However, as Graham stated above, specially manufactured S7 wheels for popular prototypes are available to members through the S7 Stores. Here is a link to the current list of available S7 wheels.

S7 Group Slater's Wheels

Dave 

S7 Group Webmaster

Edited by daifly
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, daifly said:

Just to be clear, Slater's Finescale wheels are just that. They are not intended to run on S7 trackwork irrespective of the length of the axles. Most Slater's loco wheels purchased from Slater's will need refining to meet S7 standards. However, as Graham stated above, specially manufactured S7 wheels for popular prototypes are available to members through the S7 Stores. Here is a link to the current list of available S7 wheels.

S7 Group Slater's Wheels

Dave 

S7 Group Webmaster

Thank you. A post above mentioned a re-profiling service, useful perhaps if one needs a wheel that is not made properly for S7 (like the Manning Wardle ones I mentioned), is that done via the S7 group or a member thereof?

I am asking as I am tempted by 7mm (partly for the usual reasons af ageing eyes etc), and having done P4 would prefer the finer standard, but I have no facilities to turn my own wheels.

Edited by johnarcher

12 hours ago, Western Star said:

The S7G has a member who offers a re-profiling service for Slater's 0-FS wheels to the S7 tyre profile.

Thanks again. That is a crucial point for me, as the sort of prototypes I would be thinking of would mostly need drivers smaller than the 4' 7" that seems to be the smalles in the S7 list kindly provided above.

If I do muster the decisiveness to make this big change obviously my very first act will be to join the helpful S7 group.