Whisky Grain Hoppers

Can anyone tell me what shade of blue the BRT whiskey grain hoppers should be. I'm building a rake of Peco ones which will be lettered with Railtec transfers but all the pictures seem to show a darker shade than standard rail blue. Also, is the British Maltsters yellow colour correct as despite a search I can only find photos of model ones. Any help would be much appreciated.

Edited by RexAshton
Spelling error in title.

I looked into this many years ago when the Lima model was new and the last of them original VB ones were still in service or Alcan traffic from North Blyth to Fort William (Lochabar) .

I found a bottled paint called Aquamarine but dried up many years ago to be closest I could find at the time, however I cant remember who made it.

Mark Saunders

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Mark Saunders said:

This may help!

That helps me a great deal because I've been searching for ages for decent photos of these advertising boards.

Do you have any more like this?

Apologies to the OP for the 'thread hijack'.

David

Are these the wagons Trix used to make? Hornby done a modified version. From memeory of seeing a load of them at Diss in rhe mid 1960s, the Trix colour was a good match for them. 

3 minutes ago, roythebus said:

Are these the wagons Trix used to make? Hornby done a modified version. From memeory of seeing a load of them at Diss in rhe mid 1960s, the Trix colour was a good match for them. 

The Trix ones are still in the Bachmann range.

Currently in the Whiskies Galore train set.

https://www.Bachmann.co.uk/product/branchline-whiskies-galore-sound-fitted-train-set-30-047/

Jason

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, duncan said:

Being pedantic (& legal), Scotch is always spelt whisky

11 hours ago, Mark Saunders said:

Being pedantic Scotch is Scotch Ale!

Being even more pedantic.

Scotch is what you put under a vehicle wheel to stop it rolling away!

Mike.

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 1

A couple of Bachmann 'blues' .

They are based on the Trix model and are slightly underscale but still look good. I picked these up cheaply on ebay and weathered them. Only downside is they don't have NEM coupling pockets.

dt 8 003.JPG

• Like 2

I’ve just finished painting and applying decals to an modified Triang-Hornby Whisky Blue and now awaiting weathering. I used Halfords grey primer then Tamiya Blue from a rattle can, decals are mostly Railtec.

63215D3D-6BDC-4FCE-B845-9E42C5D8B436.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
51 minutes ago, russ p said:

Is the Hornby one noticeably bigger than the Bachmann one, I've had both but don't think at the same time 

Somewhere hereabouts is the model history of theses wagons, and yes, they are different sizes, Hornby originally issued the Trix version which Bachmann now peddle before re tooling their own version to 4mm.

Mike.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Somewhere hereabouts is the model history of theses wagons, and yes, they are different sizes, Hornby originally issued the Trix version which Bachmann now peddle before re tooling their own version to 4mm.

Mike.

Did they pre-date Hornby and come out as Trix & Tri-ang?

I had a rake of the original Trix ones and they came with their own somewhat different version of the Peco coupling, but the body also had fixing points for a Tri-ang metal tension lock.

They were 3.8mm scale, like a lot of other Trix UK stuff.

Also sold as Lilliput.

• Informative/Useful 1

On ‎17‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 21:30, Kylestrome said:

That helps me a great deal because I've been searching for ages for decent photos of these advertising boards.

Do you have any more like this?

Apologies to the OP for the 'thread hijack'. 

David

Don't worry about it. :D

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, turbos said:

Here’s a pic of the 3 different 00 gauge whisky blues, left to right Lima, Trix, Triang, Lima.

The Lima is a bit over height, the Triang is even more over height and the Trix is 3.8mmish underscale.

C9EB027C-FBE7-4A0E-9B81-C68BDF450726.jpeg

The Triang 4mm scale version is ok bodywise but compromised by the chassis adaptation.

Mike.