Whisky Grain Hoppers

55 minutes ago, KeithM said:

Hi Brian

My Period of interest is the late 70's to the mid to late 80's and of course Scotland where else.... !!! and rule 1 is already in force LOL

Hi Mark

Good idea, I will try and find a copy of Backtrack

Keith

Hi Keith

My main period of interest is early 70’s to mid 80’s, the end of the Class 27 to be precise. Scotland as well but focused mostly around Fife.

The only rtr ‘Whisky Blue’ for your period is the Hornby version with Tops panel and no advert. It could do with some upgrading what you do is up to you, the easiest modifications are new wheels and file off the horizontal side stanchions. New decals can add some individuality to each wagon.
For your period the Lima version requires new wheels and the advert hoarding removed/filed away and new decals on the hopper (leave the underframe markings alone).

Brian.

1 hour ago, turbos said:

Hi Keith

My main period of interest is early 70’s to mid 80’s, the end of the Class 27 to be precise. Scotland as well but focused mostly around Fife.

The only rtr ‘Whisky Blue’ for your period is the Hornby version with Tops panel and no advert. It could do with some upgrading what you do is up to you, the easiest modifications are new wheels and file off the horizontal side stanchions. New decals can add some individuality to each wagon.
For your period the Lima version requires new wheels and the advert hoarding removed/filed away and new decals on the hopper (leave the underframe markings alone).

Brian.

The Triang/Hornby one is too long as it sits on the tank chassis, see diagrams for main dimensions here on the Barrowmore website.

http://www.barrowmoremrg.co.uk/BRBDocuments/BRPOWagons1Issue.pdf

All are suitable for Post 1971 running as the Doncaster ones were new in 1971.

The Doncaster ones had Pedestal suspension from new and the others were changed later with the exception of the ABM Yellow ones.

Mark Saunders

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 22/11/2019 at 15:06, Mark Saunders said:

The Triang/Hornby one is too long as it sits on the tank chassis, see diagrams for main dimensions here on the Barrowmore website.

http://www.barrowmoremrg.co.uk/BRBDocuments/BRPOWagons1Issue.pdf

All are suitable for Post 1971 running as the Doncaster ones were new in 1971.

The Doncaster ones had Pedestal suspension from new and the others were changed later with the exception of the ABM Yellow ones.

Mark Saunders

As I said in a previous post ‘they all have their flaws the Triang and Trix both have major flaws, they both need some serious butchery to produce an exact scale model. The Triang is slightly overscale the Trix is clearly underscale, run alongside the Lima Whisky Blue, the Trix looks diminutive, the Triang looks OK. My opinion, yours can be different.

Brian.

• RMweb Gold

Seem to to remember the triang ones not running too well and derailing a lot but that maybe down to my track laying back then.

Did they always run in block trains on trunk runs or were they part of mixed trains in the 60s

I've seen pictures of them as part of local pick up trains but were they formed into block trains at the likes of whitemoor?

2 hours ago, russ p said:

Seem to to remember the triang ones not running too well and derailing a lot but that maybe down to my track laying back then.

Did they always run in block trains on trunk runs or were they part of mixed trains in the 60s

I've seen pictures of them as part of local pick up trains but were they formed into block trains at the likes of whitemoor?

As mentioned the Backtrack article explains how they were used. They loaded at various places across East Anglia and as you suggest were made into a block working from Whitemoor and IIRC Peterborough. T'is a pity a really good model of these hasn't been produced as they were very versatile and had later uses.

Paul

https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/brtgraincovhop

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

Hi Folks,

I've been looking into railway colours as may be acquired from car spray paints using RAL numbers and I can say that RAL 5019 Capri Blue is the very thing for the whiskey blue wagons when I compared my colour chart to a Hornby wagon.

1341513010_DSCF11851.JPG.45232497c32c41eeb820c5c1f815ae5d.JPG

Hornby BRT grain wagon with the RAL colour chart, incidentally the other swatch is that of 5020 which I used as BR Rail Blue.

Using car spray paints and relevant RAL numbers I have so far only fully painted one locomotive, for reference this was RAL 5020 Ocean Blue as noted above for BR Blue, see below.

spacer.pngDSCF1178.JPG.3c07a84a2481b9f3352656ae599cf221.JPG

Spot the difference between Railmatch and RAL 5020.

Gibbo.

Edited by Gibbo675
Additional photograph.
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 1 month later...

Just stumbled across this thread...

Can someone tell me which couplings Bachmann have used for their Trix wagons?

Must be either their own screw-on 36-025 (short) or 36-026 (long) ones...

What small and short screws would you recommend to fit these?

They also have 3-hole wheels, so I suggest these would their 36-015 Metal 3-Hole Disc Wagon Wheels.

Thank you for any help.

• RMweb Gold
On 20/11/2019 at 18:29, The Johnster said:

Current production Bachmann is closest to scale and has NEM couplers; this is easily the best option until you consider price, £28 a pop.

.... snipped

Not so the one's in the Whisky Galore set, they are screw fitted.

• 4 months later...
On 22/11/2019 at 12:49, SP Steve said:

Pete Johnson, creator of the excellent 'Canada Street' layout, did some work on these wagons as can be seen on the EM Gauge Layouts website:

http://emgauge70s.co.uk/model_omwb131.html

He created etched components to detail them but I'm not sure if he offers them for sale.

I've been exchanging a few messages with Pete lately and on Saturday received a package of his etches for my grain wagon project. Although he has no more in stock he says he would be willing to get more etched if there is sufficient demand. There are two types of roof walkway and chassis detail etch, one type for the Lima wagon and one for the Trix/Bachmann type. Pete has asked me to point out the walkway etch for the early bodystyle has been done to fit Trix/Bachmann bodies stretched to scale length as he did a few years ago and featured on EMgauge70s and will be too long for unmodified bodies.

If anyone is interested Pete has asked for initial contacts to be via the contact address given on the EMgauge70s site

20210328_165126.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
On 12/11/2020 at 16:14, TomMcG said:

Just stumbled across this thread...

Can someone tell me which couplings Bachmann have used for their Trix wagons?

Must be either their own screw-on 36-025 (short) or 36-026 (long) ones...

What small and short screws would you recommend to fit these?

They also have 3-hole wheels, so I suggest these would their 36-015 Metal 3-Hole Disc Wagon Wheels.

Thank you for any help.

Spotted this request today. These are the one's fitted to those included in the Whiskies Galore set. I don't know the code number though.

B3D49DAF-8049-423D-99E7-8A83522F5CC4_1_105_c.jpeg

Edited by john new
Image reposted after the crash (Have lost the cropped copy)
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
On 29/03/2021 at 10:07, Waveydavey said:

I've been exchanging a few messages with Pete lately and on Saturday received a package of his etches for my grain wagon project. Although he has no more in stock he says he would be willing to get more etched if there is sufficient demand. There are two types of roof walkway and chassis detail etch, one type for the Lima wagon and one for the Trix/Bachmann type. Pete has asked me to point out the walkway etch for the early bodystyle has been done to fit Trix/Bachmann bodies stretched to scale length as he did a few years ago and featured on EMgauge70s and will be too long for unmodified bodies.

If anyone is interested Pete has asked for initial contacts to be via the contact address given on the EMgauge70s site

20210328_165126.jpg

Oh I like the look of these etches, I'm going to email an interest:good_mini:

• Like 2