Fletliner Brick train 1970s/80s

I am interested in forming a 'Fletliner' London Brick train based on the workings from Stewartby to Garston / Allerton

I have the following information

Actual train

FFA Inners and FGA outers were used for the trains.

Double header 25s.

Often load 10-20 wagons; 900t payload

This train ran 3 days a week.

Last train was 1985 with 25288 at the helm

Ran north up the MML and south down the WCML

Wagons

FFA Inners and FGA outers were used for the trains

The wagons had yellow sides with red lettering?

The wagons carried 3 flats; each 15t each. Total load 45t; Wagon gross laden weight 52t

but are struggling on the following.....

Cant find any close up photos?

Total number of brick packs per load. Im guessing 18 packs by 2/3? A pack of bricks is approx 800 hi x 780 wide x 1075 long.

Dimensions of the wagons?

Is the Bachmann 38-626 FFA/FGA suitable for the train?

Is the old Triang / Hornby flat any good?

The LNER Triang is too early? withdrawn 1966. But is the wagon the same length?

Any further help would be appreciated especially photos.

The wagons were standard Freightliner FFA/FFA flats. The Bachmann wagons would be fine. The Hornby wagons should be cheaper, though after 50 years in production, it is very crude.

I could only find a single photo in 'Freightliner; Life and Times'

Each train could carry about 315 000 bricks in a 15 wagon train; the Liverpool/Manchester train had 2, ten-wagon section. Elsewhere in the book, a figure of between 6750 and 7250 bricks per container is mentioned.

Not sure what you mean by 'LNER- Triang'?

The Bachmann FFA/FGA are the correct wagons for these trains. There were no other, common, bogie container carrying wagons in those days.

The Triang bogie brick is a reasonable representation but those wagons were out of brick traffic by the mid 1960s - I managed to capture a survivor as a mobile waste bin during the Euston rebuild.  https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/lneropenwood/ef2245ad

Paul

Edited by hmrspaul

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Fat Controller said:

The wagons were standard Freightliner FFA/FFA flats. The Bachmann wagons would be fine. The Hornby wagons should be cheaper, though after 50 years in production, it is very crude.

I could only find a single photo in 'Freightliner; Life and Times'

Each train could carry about 315 000 bricks in a 15 wagon train; the Liverpool/Manchester train had 2, ten-wagon section. Elsewhere in the book, a figure of between 6750 and 7250 bricks per container is mentioned.

Not sure what you mean by 'LNER- Triang'?

Hi Brian

The bogie GNR/LNER brick wagon.

I remember the Fletliner trains coming through Bedford Midland Road working off the St Johns line but as a trainspotter I was more interested that locos were LNWR line locos, more importantly normally cops. It was the only freightliner train through Bedford but what the load looked like apart from big boxes with bricks in them that is as far as my memory goes.

• Agree 1

Ok.Great for the input.

so 315,000 bricks divided by 15 wagons is 21,000 per wagon.

You stated 6750-7250 per wagon. So average 7000 x 3 flats per wagon is 21,000 so that works out.

Average brick pack is 400 bricks so 21,000 divide 400 is 52.5 packs. So my guestimate of 18 packs by 3 is about right then.

Not sure how im going to emulate 54 packs per wagon over 10 wagons!! But model railway always like projects in duplicate!

Does anybody sell packs of bricks?

3 hours ago, ashwarner15a said:

Ok.Great for the input.

so 315,000 bricks divided by 15 wagons is 21,000 per wagon.

You stated 6750-7250 per wagon. So average 7000 x 3 flats per wagon is 21,000 so that works out.

Average brick pack is 400 bricks so 21,000 divide 400 is 52.5 packs. So my guestimate of 18 packs by 3 is about right then.

Not sure how im going to emulate 54 packs per wagon over 10 wagons!! But model railway always like projects in duplicate!

Does anybody sell packs of bricks?

Packs of bricks are available, but expensive; what I have used in the past are simply  shapes cut from Plasticard 'brick' sheet. Not sure which bond; perhaps Garden wall/ Plain Bond?

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

What was the routing for these trains?

They were one of the few daytime freights that ran via the main line rather than via Manton and Syston so I'm guessing they must have gone towards Nuneaton from Wigston or Coalville from Knighton Junctions. They often stood for half an hour or more at Glendon Nth waiting a path on to the main line from the slow roads.

They were always class 25 turns, I never saw anything else on them in all the years they ran.