Loco shed / small MPD

down the sdjr

Hi all,

I am re building part of my loft layout, it was a section i first did when the base boards went in, rushed it and made a bit of a mess really.

The 1st shed was just 3 sidings that was pretty useless so i  bought a Peco turntable and have been doing my research. I thought with the turntable at the end gives me the most running options, 3 roads to the table and 1 siding for coal, based on a LMS plan in CJ Freezers model railway manual.

I thought i would post up my basic plan and ask anyone if they could see any improvements i could make with what i have?

I would like to use what products i already have but buying more points etc is an option.

Sorry the photos are not the best quality.

Thanks

Paul.

IMG_20191116_145218.jpg

IMG_20191116_145204.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Hi Paul,

Two things occur to me:

1. Since the lines are generally turning to the right as they approach the shed complex you could maybe use a right hand turnout instead of the left shown to make the lines smoother.

2. All four tracks have something between them, spacing them apart. If you could arrange two to be alongside each other somehow you'd get a bit of width back.

I'll leave others to comment on the practicallities of a working LMS shed.

Edited by Harlequin
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Well generally speaking there's no such thing as "an LMS shed", or for that matter "an LNER shed" or "a southern shed".  For the most part the shedding infrastructure was built by the pre-group companies.  So for the LMS you get Midland style sheds, LNWR style sheds, L&R style sheds, etc.

The big four companies redeveloped some sheds though these were generally the bigger ones, e.g. Leicester, Carlisle Upperby.  

What stands out here really is that the size of the turntable is disproportionate to the size of the shed.  Often smaller sheds like this would not have a turntable, but if they did they would be smaller 48' or 50' examples, on which 0-6-0 and 4-4-0 tender engines could be turned, not humongous 70' examples.

You're also missing a water tower, which is critical infrastructure.

I agree on having a RH point not a LH point  on the approach to the coal siding and the coal road.

Having said all that, with landscaping, use of oily cinder ballast, this could look pretty good.

Edited by TonyMay
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Thanks Tony / Harlequin.

I will change the LH point, going to use electrofrog with motor, polarity switch etc, the old points in the photo are insulfrog so you have both made my mind up on that.

I agree on the size of the turntable and would love to have the skills to scratch or kit build a smaller type like what was at Templecombe sdjr shed, but i decided on the Peco for ease, it is massive though.

I had thought about building a 2 road shed building but that may have to be a later project.

I was wondering the best way to achieve that oily ballast look, what do you suggest?

Here are a couple more (bad quality) pictures after working on it over the weekend. I moved 1 track to get 2 closer together and fixed the track to improve the straight sections, cut in the turntable and added a few other details for testing positions including the all important water tower.

Thank you both for your input.

Paul.

IMG_20191117_174302.jpg

IMG_20191117_180218.jpg

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, down the sdjr said:

I will change the LH point

The LH point provides a straighter run for locos using the coaling road at the expense of a wiggle for the coal wagons and shunter, so it arguably makes sense even if it doesn't look as slick.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Flying Pig said:

The LH point provides a straighter run for locos using the coaling road at the expense of a wiggle for the coal wagons and shunter, so it arguably makes sense even if it doesn't look as slick.

Yes that has been on my mind, i thought a medium or large point would make it work, not the short one as in the photo.

Also i must say the CJ Freezer model design railway manual says the design is of LMS origin but no sheds were built to the design, just some licked into shape.

The coaling facilities look a bit awkward and labour intensive, especially filling high sided tenders, I would have expected some form of crane or closure by BR days.   The single road shed would probably have been closed in the 1920s

20 hours ago, DavidCBroad said:

The coaling facilities look a bit awkward and labour intensive, especially filling high sided tenders, I would have expected some form of crane or closure by BR days.   The single road shed would probably have been closed in the 1920s

Hi David,

All points taken on board. There is a coal conveyor on the coal stage just out of shot and dont worry about the work load on the coal men, mine are well paid, watered and fed.

I am trying to use up lots of left over bits i already have but building a larger shed is not off the plan.

Paul.

22 minutes ago, Aire Head said:

Perhaps you could do something like Ilkey?

Looks like it would fit into your space and give you more shed space.

Screenshot_20191121-100251~2.png

Thanks for posting that.

I think i will have a go at altering the approach points to make a 2 road shed leaving the coal road and coal siding as it is.

I will post up a pic later.

Paul.

• Like 1