Double click on iPad.

• RMweb Premium

Hi,  I access the site almost exclusively on an iPad Pro.   I’ve noticed that almost invariably one has to ‘double touch’ a topic or link to access.  It’s almost as if the site is expecting a PC or at least a mouse connected Mac to the be the access device.  It’s a bit of a first world problem, but normally forums and site s running on iOS Safari react with just one touch, so this is a bit of a pain!

• Agree 2

• Moderators

It's a feature to prevent fat-fingered mis-navigation.

Or a bug.

Anyway, all sites should have a back to top function like we have for tablets and mobiles. Fat saves far more time.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I think this has gotten worse since IPadOS was introduced. And I think it's a feature of IPadOS to give the iPad the same kind of "hover-over" functionality found on mouse based systems.

I haven't been able to find any documentation to verify that, though, so it's speculative.

For instance, a light tap on an RMWeb user's name shows the popup user status window rather than going to their profile page. If you tap again or you tap hard the profile page will open.

In practice, like you guys, I find it to be a pain in the neck because taps often don't do what you want first time.

Edited by Harlequin
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

The old forum software used to do this too and was a lot worse on an iPad in many respects. The tapping problem only seems to occur on a few sites – mostly forums of one sort or another) which I visit, but most sites do not have this issue. Some sites do have other issues with iOS, but that is usually down to poor coding, not the device.

John

15 hours ago, Martino said:

Hi,  I access the site almost exclusively on an iPad Pro.   I’ve noticed that almost invariably one has to ‘double touch’ a topic or link to access.  It’s almost as if the site is expecting a PC or at least a mouse connected Mac to the be the access device.  It’s a bit of a first world problem, but normally forums and site s running on iOS Safari react with just one touch, so this is a bit of a pain!

It is possible to use a mouse with an iPadPro with iOS 13, but only in a rather limited way, via the Accessibility functions. I have tried this and it does seem to help a little with the tapping problem some of the time but is not a complete cure.

John

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, JJGraphics said:

It is possible to use a mouse with an iPadPro with iOS 13, but only in a rather limited way, via the Accessibility functions. I have tried this and it does seem to help a little with the tapping problem some of the time but is not a complete cure.

John

Agreed, but I don’t use a mouse with the iPad.  That shouldn’t be needed.  The iPad is a different sort of device than a PC/Mac as we all know, not a replacement. I think this is the only site where I’ve noticed this issue.

11 hours ago, Martino said:

Agreed, but I don’t use a mouse with the iPad.  That shouldn’t be needed.  The iPad is a different sort of device than a PC/Mac as we all know, not a replacement. I think this is the only site where I’ve noticed this issue.

I am aware of using a mouse with an iPadPro as I have an acquaintance who is disabled and who uses a mouse with her iPadPro to aid her pointing. I was not trying to suggest that it is necessary or even desirable, to use a mouse with an iPadPro, which it is not for day-to-day use. What I was trying to point out was that the problem not only occurs with a finger tap. Perhaps I should have made that clear in the post.

My acquaintance reports the tapping issue on several forums she visits but, as I reported from my own experience in my other post, she does not see the problem on most other sites.

Out of interest, the problem also occurs when using a dibber with an inductive end and also with an Apple Pencil and is not specific to iOS 13 or the iPadPro as I can reproduce the issue on my ancient iPad2 running a prehistoric version of iOS.

John

• Like 1