Makers of 009 track

johnofwessex

• RMweb Gold

Roco do narrow gauge track, sold by Gauge master. Tillig also do some track, used to be stocked by International Models in South Wales, not sure if they are still going or not. It is also available through Conrad UK. 

Steve

Edited by sjp23480
Correction

10 minutes ago, sjp23480 said:

Roco do narrow gauge track, sold by Gauge master. Tillig also do some track, used to be stocked by International Models in South Wales, not sure if they are still going or not. It is also available through Conrad UK. 

Steve

Unfortunately International Models were sold to a couple in Scotland who had no knowledge of retail and ran the name into the ground.

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

9 minutes ago, johnofwessex said:

Thank you 

How does they compare with PECO quality wise - I dont think I will need a lot so within reason cost isnt an issue

I am well out of date, as it is over ten years ago that I modelled in 009. But at the time, Peco was a lot more robust than Bemo and Tillig (have no experience of Roco), and appearance was much the same - perhaps a bit finer than Peco, but not so much as to justify the big difference in price. Strangely, to my eyes anyway, the Tillig track in HOe looked "continental" - I can't explain why!

PS - I never finished the layout, and scrapped it, so cannot comment on reliability.

Edited by Mike Storey
added PS

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, TangoOscarMike said:

Hello. I've just blundered into this thread as I roam around RMWeb. But I think it's worth mentioning that the Tillig range includes three-rail dual-gauge HO / HOe track, which I assume works fine as 00 / 009.

I find the idea very tempting, but for me now is not the time.

Cheers

Tom

Indeed it does! The dual gauge track appears on the first page when looking for the Tillig 009 (H0e) stuff, which I why my link (hopefully) goes to page 2 where the single gauge products are shown.

I had briefly considered a dual H0/H0m layout some time ago; the considerations of time kicked in long before the realities of cost needed to be faced!

• Agree 1

Tilling is HOe track based on Continental practice, it is similar to Peco Mainline track but as mentioned not as robust. It uses code 83 rail and Peco code 80.

Roco do flexible track some of which is rather strange looking stuff. They also do set track with 10.5ins radius which is slightly better than Peco's 9ins if you want something less sharp. Roco's points however are crude compared to the other two. Again code 83.

Bemo track is ok but expensive.

Renember that the European market is much bigger than ours so their stuff will reflect their practice not British. Peco's Crazytrack range caters for British NG.

If you are doing modern 750/760mm European practice then Peco Mainline and Tillig are both very good.

• 2 months later...
On 16/11/2019 at 19:56, johnofwessex said:

Is the only 009 track avalible in the UK Peco or are there others?

If so what and where do you get it

I'm new here and newly returned to railway modelling, however I have found that the 2mm Association sell rail and sleepers suitable for 9mm gauge track (though as you assemble it the gauge is really up to you).  Unfortunately, you have to be a member to buy the products.

Products

I hope this helps.

jh

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, jchinuk said:

I'm new here and newly returned to railway modelling, however I have found that the 2mm Association sell rail and sleepers suitable for 9mm gauge track (though as you assemble it the gauge is really up to you).  Unfortunately, you have to be a member to buy the products.

Products

I hope this helps.

jh

Another source for components (rail etc but the sleepers might be wrong size) would be fiNetrax. As with the 2mm Association, the rail is much finer which could well be an issue with typical 009/HOe wheel flanges.

• Thanks 1

If you are going down the handbuilt track way then Peco Code 60 or the 2mm Assoc code 40 are both very good to represent per preservation and some smaller preserved lines (such as industrial 2ft gauge). Be aware, though, that the 2mm sleepers aren't really suitable, a better bet is 3SMR's sleepers for 12mm/TT track cut down. It really depends on what you want to model and how accurate you want it to be, code 80/83 is really too heavy except for modern practice. 009 is a compromise anyhow, being used to represent 2ft to 2ft 6ins gauges so most people just accept it.

BTW there is another manufacturer of 9mm narrow gauge track, Shinohara, though I've never tried it. If you are after sharp curved points then they are the ones, 150mm/6 inch! Scalelink stock it:

https://www.scalelink.co.uk/acatalog/Shinohara_Track___Pointwork__HOn2_5_.html

• Thanks 1

I used a combination of track on our layout. Peco mainline points, Tillig plain track and even an N gauge single slip. Combining the different makes is a little problematic, the rail height is close enough not to cause problems (though a little judicious filing will take any edge off the join) the main problem is that Tillig track is flat bottom so needs the edges filed to get compatible fishplates on. 
the Tillig track has a nice, pre tarnished finish to it but it does make it a to solder to. 
oh and the slip was code 55 but fitted perfectly and once ballasted one, you don’t even notice. 

Yes the Tillig code 83 rail has a slightly wider base than Peco code 80 but it's not a major issue and only affects use of the metal rail joiners, the insulated Peco ones fit both. It's easy enough to file the Tillig rail or just use Tillig rail joiners when joining Peco and Tillig rail.

I can't say I've had any issues soldering wire to Tillig rail. 

I also prefer the finish on Tilling rail!

I think some people on NGRM have, though beware as they are 5.5inch radius curves so only smaller locos will go round them and you may have coupling problems. Personally I feel that 9 inch should be the minimum radius to aim for unless your prototype had really sharp curves!

Edited by Hobby
  • Thanks 1