The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

That ghastly FS clock is back

steve1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, russ p said:

Sorry to  be OT but this is very funny, obviously written by someone who understands our hobby 

Part two may need searching for but worth it!

Viz Comic - A Day in the life of a Model Railway Enthusiast 1

Understand our hobby??    Are you genuinely suggesting that serious steam era modellers don't have fried bacon and eggs - preferably cooked on a shovel over a coal fire - for breakfast but instead eat some weird thing called a pop tart?:jester:

• Like 2
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium

There used to be a Thomas Kinkade shop at the Bluewater shopping centre - I looked inside once and exited a whole lot quicker than I went in. Mrs W had seen what was on show in the window and refused to accompany me....

I’m really glad that clock is so expensive, it means that there’s no chance of any well-meaning relatives thinking “he’s into trains, he‘ll love that” and buying me one for Christmas!

• Like 2
  • Agree 5

3 hours ago, Flying Pig said:

Not sure why it's being advertised in the Modeller though - it's unlikely they'll get much interest from the readers there, not when an Accurascale Class 43 Deltic or a good second hand Clag Gone can be had for the same money.  Much better try Radio Times or the People's Friend.

The answer to the above ^ is here :-

1 hour ago, Coppercap said:

Clearly the revenue generated from these full-page adverts of tat is too good to turn down.

Beat me to it. ;)

2 hours ago, Adam88 said:

Apparently a lot of people [in the US] buy Thomas Kinkade...

Not any more. 

His mini empire was shrinking faster than it grew by 2005 and has essentially disappeared since he died in 2012 (at 54).

Wikipedia:

From 1997 through 2005, court documents show at least 350 independently owned Kinkade franchises. By May 2005, that number had more than halved.

His work is still available through the likes of the Bradford Exchange.

I recycled the Christmas Bradford Exchange catalogue that appeared in the mail. I have no doubt everyone reacting to this thread would have a deeply allergic reaction to it.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, F-UnitMad said:

The answer to the above ^ is here :-

Beat me to it. ;)

Not asking why Mr Pritchard took the cash - of course he would; asking why "Mr Exchange" bothered to place an advert at all, when we know he is really famous celebrity railway enthusiast Chris Donald off of Viz and must be aware that RM readers will be too busy discussing whether the wheel spacing on the Scotsman's tender is correct and whether it is Thompson's fault to even think about ordering.

BTW I wonder if it's the GN side of Bradford Exchange or the Lanky side we're dealing with here? Or is Mr Donald channelling a false flag operation by the North Eastern?  It's all rather confusing really.

4 hours ago, Flying Pig said:

I think it is probable that the author of the piece is fully aware of the correct 00 scale ratio to three significant figures and has deliberately misquoted it in order to trick or "bait" anoraks such as we are into pointing out the discrepancy, therefore exposing ourselves to ribaldry based on the small magnitude of the inaccuracy, our perceived obsessiveness over such a minute quantity and our uncontrollable urge to correct trivial factual errors at tedious length.  His easy success indicates that he is a master of his craft.

Very good!

You are not related to Roger Irrelevant by any chance?

cheers

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Georgeconna said:

'Impressive 22 inches'  Just can't compete with that!

But does it have a certificate of authenticity, got to have one of those these days; adds to the value if you need to sell it!  Also the original box is a must and hang on to all the paperwork and whatever you do, be sure to wear white gloves if you have to handle it.:mocking_mini:

Brian.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 5

If you don't want one with a Funny Scotsman, here's one that combines Railways and Hogwarts!  Not in a railway mag this time, being hawked on the back of a cheap TV listings mag.

1019706697_HogwartsClock.jpg.3192f98e309e8b91226fcf8ca2c40b8d.jpg

This one is a smidgeon over £200 including delivery, strong demand is expected...

You'd think at the price being asked that they'd throw in a set of AA and AAA batteries!

• Like 1
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, russ p said:

Sorry to  be OT but this is very funny, obviously written by someone who understands our hobby 

Part two may need searching for but worth it!

Haven't found part 2 but there is someone working for Viz with a good deal of railway enthusiast knowledge. It isn't me, but in another life ...

http://viz.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/train-spotter.jpg

- Richard.

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, 47137 said:

Haven't found part 2 but there is someone working for Viz with a good deal of railway enthusiast knowledge. It isn't me, but in another life ...

http://viz.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/train-spotter.jpg

If you click on the picture it takes you to Flickr and its below part one

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

Wouldn't it be a nice gesture if all the members of RMWeb were to chip-in a few pence each to buy The Moderator a lovely Christmas gift this year ..........

Any volunteers to assist in permanently attaching it to the wall in his hallway?

• Funny 1

Am I going to be banned from here because my sister in law bought me one of the flying scotsman clocks for Christmas a few years ago.  Flamin think made so much noise that i took the batteries out and it sits on the wall doing nothing other than collecting dust - mind you the dust now makes it look like a snow scene.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 8