Tracing A Mid 80's Complete How To 6x4 00 Gauge Set Magazine

Shanghai Diver

Hello,

huge long shot, and likely super annoying question as the details are so vague, but anyway here goes:

Does anyone remember what appears to have been a single issue magazine that focused on a 6x4 layout published in 1985 or '86 (I would guess).  May be a couple of years earlier.

The layout was not that different from this http://www.freetrackplans.com/Hornby-5E.php although I am sure that there was a terminus station on the upper level and I had to adapt and put the bridge in.  The magazine was basically a walk through of how to build and create the entire thing and it was basically my layout for years.  It wasn't Hornby.  Chances are it was picked up in Mainly Trains in Chandlers Ford by my dad who brought it home.  I used it for years but in parental house moving the trains survived but the 'scrappy looking' magazine didn't.  

I am pretty sure it had a dark green cover.  Showed how to build the supporting structure do the landscaping etc.

Scoured eBay, searched here.  Hoping this may job some memories.  Naturally, I always kept it as a temporary layout for space reasons.  Now would be a chance to revist (space is a constraint, folding against a wall is not.

Long shot, I know. Just thought there may be some now mid 40 year olds whose fathers also brought this home...

Thanks for any thoughts...

• RMweb Premium
On 18/11/2019 at 02:24, Steamport Southport said:

I've a feeling it might have been Model Railways magazine. Or Your Model Railway as it was known for a while. Seems familiar and they did do a few special one off issues.

Jason

Yes they did a handful of one off specials when C.J. Freezer was editor. I wouldn't have purchased any on a 6 x 4.

This was a good one.

image.png.8492361c7cbc39ab0e6fa0fc4c17c7d8.png

• Like 1

On 21/11/2019 at 12:48, kevinlms said:

Yes they did a handful of one off specials when C.J. Freezer was editor. I wouldn't have purchased any on a 6 x 4.

This was a good one.

image.png.8492361c7cbc39ab0e6fa0fc4c17c7d8.png

I did find a reference that suggested the layout was a CJF one, so that would figure.  Anyway, not turned up yet.

(6x4...early teens bedroom....now an apartment in Singapore.  Always space limited and moving :( )

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
On ‎19‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 14:24, JohnR said:

That is a good one though . I pretty much used his idea for a terminus on one of my layouts .  A good book that I used to set up my loft layout 28 years ago!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

I may have found something.

I looked at Your Model Railway for January 1985 and there is a continuation of a series on 'Build a layout for 100 pounds', in OO.

Edit

I have found November 1984, but can't find December. It starts in the October issue.

The layout does have an HST photo in several of the parts, so perhaps this is the layout?

Did perhaps YMR issue it in a combined format later. Certainly MAP/Argus did that for their other publications.

Edited by kevinlms
Updated info and corrections.
  • Agree 1

On ‎14‎/‎02‎/‎2020 at 12:03, kevinlms said:

I may have found something.

I looked at Your Model Railway for January 1985 and there is a continuation of a series on 'Build a layout for 100 pounds', in OO.

Edit

I have found November 1984, but can't find December. It starts in the October issue.

The layout does have an HST photo in several of the parts, so perhaps this is the layout?

Did perhaps YMR issue it in a combined format later. Certainly MAP/Argus did that for their other publications.

that's the one I'm thinking of, for £100 :) 

• Like 1