Slug tape!

sb67

I am using copper tape on my 009 layout but not as the complete bus.  I am using it at baseboard joints as a butt-connection and is proving satisfactory when the boards are bolted together.  However it is dependent upon the quality of the carpentry of the boards.  I am also using it as "tag strips" to which to solder droppers from the rails and feeds to point motors.  I have had no issues for the last nine months or so.  I am running no more than two locomotives at once.  The tape I am using is 13mm wide - don't forget you need space to accommodate two strips side-by-side with space between.   As David says, the self-adhesive is pretty poor but, when really desperate, it can be pinned (stapled?) to the board.  Although the glue is said to be electrically conductive, I followed a recommendation when making joins, to fold a little under and solder the surfaces together.  If you are going to use the tape exclusively as the bus, it becomes complicated if you try to cross framework under the baseboards whereas wires can pass through a small hole drilled through a frame.

If I were to start again, I would use it again as tag strips.

Harold.

For a micro layout, and only a micro layout, it will almost certainly be OK, but I would definitely NOT rely on the adhesive being conductive.

Get the widest tape you can, not the really narrow stuff sold for dolls house lighting.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Using it as the bus on a layout that goes around all 4 walls of my attic. No significant problems but you do need to run a sliver of solder over all joints as the adhesive seems a pretty effective insulator! Once I've settled on the track plan I paint over it with my base colour and ultimately will add the scenerary on top. Having it on the top surface certainly beats working upside down in wires under the layout. Cheap too if you look on e-bay