Peco code 75 bullhead double slips.

Robert Stokes

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the info but why, oh why, do they have to do the double slip first and leave the far more useful, and common, single slip until later?  I can't understand why they don't do the most commonly found one first as surely it is likely to have better sales and thus start returning on investment more quickly? 

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

Thanks for the info but why, oh why, do they have to do the double slip first and leave the far more useful, and common, single slip until later?  I can't understand why they don't do the most commonly found one first as surely it is likely to have better sales and thus start returning on investment more quickly? 

Possibly because the single slip is just the double with a few bits removed!

As with loco tooling etc or indeed designing real trains* its far more effective to design the most complex option first -then move on to the easier variants later. on the basis you are merely removing stuff rather than adding it.

* Note how the initial batch of SWR's new trains are being built as dual voltage with the 'simpler' and 'more common' DC only variants being done later.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

The pre-production sample looked vey good at Warley.    I asked why the double slip is coming first and apparently in the existing Code 100 and Code 75 ranges the double slip outsells the single slip so obviously there in a clear commercial impetus for  Peco to do them in this order.  Bit of a shame from my viewpoint but quite understandaable from theirs.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

3 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

The pre-production sample looked vey good at Warley.    I asked why the double slip is coming first and apparently in the existing Code 100 and Code 75 ranges the double slip outsells the single slip so obviously there in a clear commercial impetus for  Peco to do them in this order.  Bit of a shame from my viewpoint but quite understandaable from theirs.

Just proof that we who attempt to model accurately are outnumbered by those just running trains.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 1

Because you can run through a double slip like it was a single, but not the other way around ?.  One could use the double slip as a stand in for a single easy enough, but not the other way around. 

I need one one of each... and can see that I then will need to do an amount of relaying and hand build a catch point...

James

• Agree 1

On 22/11/2019 at 15:42, D.Platt said:

So we have now gone from September to November and now early next year  !! I did think once they had advertised it they would have kept to a November delivery.  

I don't have any of last years Railway Modellers to hand, but i seem to remember a full page advert towards the end of the year saying they would be available soon.

• RMweb Premium

It was in this October’s issue that’s why my local model shop reckoned November, I was told at the GCR model exhibition August/September by their rep .

Is it the same pre production sample being shown this weekend ? Any price put on them yet ?

On 22/11/2019 at 03:26, phil-b259 said:

Possibly because the single slip is just the double with a few bits removed!

As with loco tooling etc or indeed designing real trains* its far more effective to design the most complex option first -then move on to the easier variants later. on the basis you are merely removing stuff rather than adding it.

* Note how the initial batch of SWR's new trains are being built as dual voltage with the 'simpler' and 'more common' DC only variants being done later.

2024647745_dbleslipshinohara6-800.jpg.91f09e58f20e0ffcee695364b8a5afd0.jpg

Also in coarse scales, the flangeway clearances are notoriously difficult to fit in as the crossing angle increases. No-one has mentioned the angle of this slip, but I've included a scan of a Shinohara #6 to show how the outside curves are virtually straightened to make the geometry work. It may be that PECO has more room to make them curved when using BH vs the previous FB versions.

Andy

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, peach james said:

Because you can run through a double slip like it was a single, but not the other way around ?.  One could use the double slip as a stand in for a single easy enough, but not the other way around. 

I need one one of each... and can see that I then will need to do an amount of relaying and hand build a catch point...

James

Not really as simple as that.  the single slip was a far more widely used item of pointwork in prototype track layouts than a double slip.  Countless wayside stations had single slips but very few smaller stations had double slips - mainly be because there were laid out in the days when land was more readily available but also because of the requirement to avoid facing points in running lines wherever possible.   To paraphrase  'mdvle' comment above out it is perhaps a commentary on the difference between those who like to model track layouts accurately and in prototypical manner and those who aren't concerned about that.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

The very helpful chap at the Peco stand at Warley today stated that the diamond crossing would be released before Christmas with the double and single slips in Jan and Feb 2020 respectively.

Cheers

Darius

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

6 hours ago, Darius43 said:

The very helpful chap at the Peco stand at Warley today stated that the diamond crossing would be released before Christmas with the double and single slips in Jan and Feb 2020 respectively,

But that directly contradicts what Peco posted to Facebook on Thursday (image posted by someone above), where the double slip to go into production early 2020 with the other two to follow.

Unless someone wants to confirm with Peco I think I would trust the Facebook page more.

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, mdvle said:

But that directly contradicts what Peco posted to Facebook on Thursday (image posted by someone above), where the double slip to go into production early 2020 with the other two to follow.

Unless someone wants to confirm with Peco I think I would trust the Facebook page more.

I just stated what the peco rep said to me in person.  Time will ultimately tell whether he or Peco Facebook is correct.

Cheers

Darius

• Like 1

And both statements contradict their email reply to me that the double slips should be available by the end of this year. Would it have been more honest for all three respondents to have said, "We don't know when they will be available. You'll just have to wait."

• RMweb Premium

I’ve been advised that the delivery sequence is double slips, single slips, and then crossings. I was also given the reason for that sequence which in production process terms was logical. Delivery for double slips was December/January 19/2020.

• Informative/Useful 2

18 hours ago, Nile said:

words fail me, so this will have to do.

:O

Well, not trusting Facebook per se, but rather the pre-show media briefing in a calmer environment is likely to produce less errors than the mad crowds around a stand at Warley.

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, mdvle said:

Well, not trusting Facebook per se, but rather the pre-show media briefing in a calmer environment is likely to produce less errors than the mad crowds around a stand at Warley.

The conversation that I had with the Peco rep wasn’t shouted amid the baying hordes.  The Peco stand was relatively empty and it was a calm and polite discussion thoroughly devoid of madness.

There appear to be several conflicting narratives from Peco on this subject, one or none of which may prove to be right.

Cheers

Darius