Peco code 75 bullhead double slips.

Robert Stokes

Peco US Code 83 unifrog double slips are making it to market now. Frightening prices around USD $80-$90 in US online offers.  In prototype practice a double slip was very rare as North American railroads outside the the North East had the space to use normal turnouts to effect the same movement of cars and engines.  Modelers on the other hand are always short of linear space.  Single slips were even rarer unlike the North Cornwall where one was used to switch every good shed.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, autocoach said:

Peco US Code 83 unifrog double slips are making it to market now. Frightening prices around USD $80-$90 in US online offers.  In prototype practice a double slip was very rare as North American railroads outside the the North East had the space to use normal turnouts to effect the same movement of cars and engines.  Modelers on the other hand are always short of linear space.  Single slips were even rarer unlike the North Cornwall where one was used to switch every good shed.

I think the proliferation of single slips was probably very much a British thing (perhaps another reason that in its overall market Peco sells more double slips?).

• RMweb Premium
On 01/12/2019 at 11:09, The Stationmaster said:

perhaps another reason that in its overall market Peco sells more double slips

Possibly, but modellers of the UK scene love double slips for their convenience and use them in places the prototype wouldn't because they save space, which is what is likely to drive bullhead sales.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, Flying Pig said:

Possibly, but modellers of the UK scene love double slips for their convenience and use them in places the prototype wouldn't because they save space, which is what is likely to drive bullhead sales.

Can work the other way. I drew up a plan for some exchange sidings alongside a main line using just ordinary turnouts.

That got criticised as the Midland would probably have used a double-slip in that situation rather than two turnouts. The reason there is not space but avoiding the S-shaped curve that has to be taken by a reversing freight train.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
On 22/11/2019 at 11:19, The Stationmaster said:

Thanks for the info but why, oh why, do they have to do the double slip first and leave the far more useful, and common, single slip until later?  I can't understand why they don't do the most commonly found one first as surely it is likely to have better sales and thus start returning on investment more quickly? 

This reminds me of when in the 70s I asked Peco if they will produce a single slip in code 100. The reply indicated it was about a year away. I don't know exactly when the  code 100 single slip was eventually produced but it was many many years later so I hope things move much faster this time.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium
20 hours ago, Lacathedrale said:

I don't suppose there's any new info on this afoot?

Speaking to them just before Christmas the schedule has slipped again, though they are pleased with the progress, and I was given a first quarter estimate.

• Informative/Useful 4

• 1 month later...

On the plus side, the delays in waiting for these has led me to re-discover some American stock which I hadn't sold when I last moved house...I thought I'd sold the lot! Which then cost me an arm and several legs as I diverted funds to play with some loksound v5 decoders...might be looking at using code 83 instead at this rate!

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

What's another three weeks in the ongoing wait for the single slip - a miniscule blip in the timescale and better Peco stays save for the future  

You mean we might see the Bullhead slips in the next geological epoch? Something for our descendants to look forward to, then! :wink_mini:

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On ‎24‎/‎03‎/‎2020 at 11:00, The Stationmaster said:

What's another three weeks in the ongoing wait for the single slip - a miniscule blip in the timescale and better Peco stays save for the future  

Its not necessarily 3 weeks, that's just when the current measures are due to be reassessed; I'm a 'critical function key worker' and currently our duties are being more and more limited on a near daily basis. It could be that the 'lockdown' (which it still isn't) becomes even more limiting and certain key workers are withdrawn all together when that 3 weeks is up. This has the potential to rumble on for months.

On ‎24‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 16:08, The Stationmaster said:

Not really as simple as that.  the single slip was a far more widely used item of pointwork in prototype track layouts than a double slip.  Countless wayside stations had single slips but very few smaller stations had double slips - mainly be because there were laid out in the days when land was more readily available but also because of the requirement to avoid facing points in running lines wherever possible.   To paraphrase  'mdvle' comment above out it is perhaps a commentary on the difference between those who like to model track layouts accurately and in prototypical manner and those who aren't concerned about that.

The Great Eastern laid out most of its country station goods yards using a double slip as the first element off the facing point on the mainline. The double slip provided for a headshunt parallel with the main line and formed the first divergence of the fan-out of sidings into the yard.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I used to work for Peco about forty years ago and it seems nothing much changes. The drawing office used to make up samples of things like three way points that looked as if they had just dropped out of the moulding machine. These would be shown to the trade at the toy fair in January and if sufficient interest was there it might go into production. The perennial joke was to tell customers 'it'll be out by Christmas' but don't say which year.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

28 minutes ago, John Arkell said:

I used to work for Peco about forty years ago and it seems nothing much changes. The drawing office used to make up samples of things like three way points that looked as if they had just dropped out of the moulding machine. These would be shown to the trade at the toy fair in January and if sufficient interest was there it might go into production. The perennial joke was to tell customers 'it'll be out by Christmas' but don't say which year.

Did that include physical samples, or just drawings?

Physical samples with light grey bearers have been displayed at several exhibitions during the last year. The light grey bearers spoil the samples a little but they still look great.

• RMweb Premium

Sorry, just to show some factual info

https://albionyard.wordpress.com/2019/11/23/warley-news-no3-peco/

The three crossings will need very careful assembly. Work was continuing (based on a conversation earlier this year), in ensuring that tooling and assembly techniques would give the most efficient production. 

However, Peco have been otherwise occupied of late.

https://seatonmatters.org/2020/04/17/local-firm-produces-ear-guards-for-carers-using-face-masks-contact-me-if-you-can-use-them/

80E9D582-E6D4-485D-98A2-2A62D6485533.jpeg

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Pete the Elaner said:

Did that include physical samples, or just drawings?

Physical samples with light grey bearers have been displayed at several exhibitions during the last year. The light grey bearers spoil the samples a little but they still look great.

Hi Pete

I suspect the light grey bearers you saw were the result of rapid prototyping. Forty years ago that was not an option. The drawing office took parts already in production, for instance one left hand and one right hand point and with saw, scalpel and other tools combined them into a mock up of a three way point. These days you just do a 3D CAD drawing and send it to a 3D printer. 

Regards

John Arkell

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, John Arkell said:

Hi Pete

I suspect the light grey bearers you saw were the result of rapid prototyping. 

Regards

John Arkell

If you look at the picture above you’ll read that the double slip shown is from the initial tooling. If you look at this link, you will see further pictures from the initial tooling

https://albionyard.wordpress.com/2019/11/23/warley-news-no3-peco/

These are current, not 40 years old.