Peco code 75 bullhead double slips.

Robert Stokes

• RMweb Premium

Popped into the Monk Bar Peco event earlier today. Interesting chat with the Peco rep about the fact that all design & planning work could carry on during COVID - it’s waiting for production slots that held things up. Yes, medium rad turnouts also on display as well as slips. Also the new lock-together/ stacking multi-gauge Loco Lift - looks very promising as an off the shelf cassette system, esp for N.

Richard T

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 1 month later...

The delays to producing 00BH slips, diamond crossings, med rad turnouts, after the availability of 00BH streamline track (is it 4 or 5 years now?), must have caused many to build their own items, as  I have........................so there's a silver lining to many a cloud. 

Necessity is the mother of learning new skills.

Peco double and single slips? I'll believe it when Hattons and Rails have them in stock.

Edited by Eveannessant
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Roy Langridge said:

I can’t believe the level of scepticism in this thread given the stage Peco have demonstrated they are at. 

These will appear in time, of that  I am confident. 

Roy

Indeed. Given the samples that have been seen - and not least the video showing them in actual production, people still seem skeptical.

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Roy Langridge said:

I can’t believe the level of scepticism in this thread given the stage Peco have demonstrated they are at. 

Roy

I am sure that Peco are fully committed to manufacturing these various items.  And as they have shown in the latest video some of the tooling needed for that purpose it is clear that they w are investing in the products.  As ever it is more a question of when rather than if and in recent years there is a very considerable amount of manufactured model railway items we can say that about.  They'll be here when they arrive but I often wonder if I am alone in having placed a pre-order for an item of track?

• Like 2
  • Agree 5

• 2 months later...

Now three years since I started building my lifetime layout, so far I have got a double track around a 21ft x 13ft room, a couple of points for junctions and that's it!  I have been waiting for slips and crossings for around two years.  Fiddle yard is coming on as I am using up a previous layouts FB track.  Unfortunately it now looks like I will have to rip everything up as we may be forced to move back to England, I doubt I will get that sort of space again.

Lets hope 2022 brings better fortune, Happy and Safe New Year everyone.

Tony

loresPC300112.jpg

loresPC300113.jpg

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 7

On 29/10/2021 at 07:49, Roy Langridge said:

Roy

People just like to have a good old moan. It certainly feels like they are closer to imminent than it had been for a while.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Aire Head said:

People just like to have a good old moan. It certainly feels like they are closer to imminent than it had been for a while.

They are in production.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Aire Head said:

Perhaps it’s also a case of given the demographic of a lot of railway modellers we are wondering what’s going to come first, the model railway items we’re waiting for or daisy pushing up duties

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, PhilH said:

Perhaps it’s also a case of given the demographic of a lot of railway modellers we are wondering what’s going to come first, the model railway items we’re waiting for or daisy pushing up duties

If it’s that critical buy a cheaper wooden box (you’ll only use it once), and use the money saved to pay somebody to make them for you.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, dasatcopthorne said:

Can I ask how you know please?

Dave.

Yep I directly asked someone who knows. (Emphasis there to indicate this isn’t someone down the pub or wibbling on the interweb)

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

In the Feb. RM there is a news item about a new manufacturing facility at Beer that opened on 1 December 21. It's mainly being used for pointwork assembly, so good news for those waiting for these items.

• RMweb Gold

It's now 4 months since I posted the quote from Steve Haynes, Peco Sales Manager, talking about the Code 75 Bullhead range in the "Peco at 75" supplement to RM, which said:

...the coming months should see the phased introduction of the single and double slip, long crossing, and medium radius turnouts, with further items likely to follow.

Still no sign of any phased introduction that I'm aware of, but I suppose "the coming months" is quite a clever turn of phrase because it could actually mean any length of future time - just measured in months.

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, dasatcopthorne said:

I wonder how long it is between being in production and in the shops?

Unlike some people in the trade Peco have a policy of manufacturing enough of a particular item to meet every trade order they have before they release the item to the retail trade.  They did exactly that with the bullhead track and then with the points they have so far released.  I doubt there's any reason to expect them to do anything different with the up coming items in the bullhead range (unless they change their policy?).

So the double slips etc being in production does not necessarily mean they would be appearing in retailers as fast as they come off the assembly line.   

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

2 hours ago, dasatcopthorne said:

I wonder how long it is between being in production and in the shops?

I asked at Beer back in July 2019, and they said then that they would be ready for Warley that year...so I make that two and a half years and counting.

I'm in no rush to be honest, I want to compare with the Finetrax slips which are also still to come. Pecos geometry will squeeze a bit more in less space but the appearance of Waynes product follows prototype literate geometry albeit over a greater length, I want to see which tradeoff best matches what I'm after.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

So the double slips etc being in production does not necessarily mean they would be appearing in retailers as fast as they come off the assembly line.   

Correct :)

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Zunnan said:

I'm in no rush to be honest, I want to compare with the Finetrax slips which are also still to come. Pecos geometry will squeeze a bit more in less space but the appearance of Waynes product follows prototype literate geometry albeit over a greater length, I want to see which tradeoff best matches what I'm after.

All you have to do is print a code 75 slip/crossings template from the Peco website, and you’ll have an immediate answer. The current streamline OO/HO geometry is being retained for these items.

Edited by PMP
Missed word
  • Agree 2

41 minutes ago, PMP said:

All you have to do is print a code 75 slip/crossings template from the Peco website, and you’ll have an immediate answer. The current streamline OO/HO geometry is being retained for these items.

This is true, however it is the appearance I'm more interested in. I've built plenty of layouts over the years so I have a good familiarity with the current product line and I have a stock of FB code 75 to hand to mock up the formations, but when you factor in the sleeper size and spacing differences it changes things considerably. The sleeper layout used for the current BH turnouts and how it interacts with the forthcoming slips is something we can't garner from the templates, and it is this in particular I'm interested in.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, Zunnan said:

. The sleeper layout used for the current BH turnouts and how it interacts with the forthcoming slips is something we can't garner from the templates, and it is this in particular I'm interested in.

You can get a reasonable idea/estimate from the pics here

https://albionyard.com/2019/11/23/warley-news-no3-peco/

These were first shots from tooling as I understood the discussion, sleeper width/height/spacing appears to match current Peco Cd75 BH specs.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, dasatcopthorne said:

I built my layout during 2020/21 on the understanding that the double slip would be available around that time.

Dave.

They did indeed plan to have production underway in 2020.

9DBDCCDC-65A7-4C60-B2C7-8BCD843D76B3.jpeg.fd3dc8ef07eab3055eee34ed1cb3520e.jpeg
I believe the flu bug that has been going round, changed their plans a bit.

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2