Railwaymodelstore.co.uk

Hi, just wondered if anyone had experience of ordering from railwaymodelstore.co.uk ? I have never heard of them before but they have a couple of things I am after that are sold out elsewhere. They appear to be online only as well? A few online reviews seem ok but they are all really recent and seem to be from people who have only left 1 or 2 reviews so has me a bit worried all might not be legit?

Thanks 

Company is registered at companies house to Benjamin Curtis and the VAT registration is also valid 

Gives an address of  

FIFTH FLOOR, CIVIC HOUSE
156 GREAT CHARLES STREET QU
BIRMINGHAM
WEST MIDLANDS
B3 3HN

Based on my experience scammers don't usually go to these lengths. If they are your only option and still in doubt pay on a credit card for additional protection.

Sad reality where potentially a new business is up and running but being scammed is one of the first thoughts.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just to say I have purchased a few diecast aircraft from Aircraft Model Store. Very good service. He dispatches via a fulfillment centre, but products are in stock and no complaints. Also reachable by phone in my experience.

Obviously if we assume this is a sister site, based on my AMS experience, all OK. But YMMV.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Father in law recently purchased himself a Hornby Flying Scotsman set, shown as in stock.  Moneybwas taken a week later it now shows as out of stock, not able to re order, no communication of this, no offer of refund.  And so far email enquiries have gone unanswered.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

4 hours ago, Pmorgancym said:

Father in law recently purchased himself a Hornby Flying Scotsman set, shown as in stock.  Moneybwas taken a week later it now shows as out of stock, not able to re order, no communication of this, no offer of refund.  And so far email enquiries have gone unanswered.

Not sure how you paid but suggest if it was via PayPal then request a refund through PayPal? In my experience the threat of PayPal suspending the vendors account tends to spur a refund very quickly....

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Before pre-ordering one of the new Hornby 2020 items, I contacted them on whether they had any allocation left (the metal bodied duchess). No problem I was told, when you order, we place the order (presumably with the wholesaler). 

placed the order then got a message a day or two later that they couldn’t supply. Was asked if I wanted anything else, said no and to be fair got a refund pretty quickly. Not likely to return..

• Like 1

3 hours ago, amwells said:

Before pre-ordering one of the new Hornby 2020 items, I contacted them on whether they had any allocation left (the metal bodied duchess). No problem I was told, when you order, we place the order (presumably with the wholesaler). 

placed the order then got a message a day or two later that they couldn’t supply. Was asked if I wanted anything else, said no and to be fair got a refund pretty quickly. Not likely to return..

It is a strange business model to advertise something as being in stock, then saying they then need to order it in and then not being able to supply it. Great for their working capital as they have your money for the week or so while they are sat on your order.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Direct fulfilment is incredibly common theses days. If the core suppliers stock levels are accurate (Normally updated once a day between supplier and wholesaler) then happy days everyone’s a winner...retailer offers a greater range without the capital tied up, supplier has a greater number of outlets to improve stock turnover and customers have more choice on where to buy.

If stock is inaccurate or a sudden rush of demand occurs then delays, disappointment and refunds occur....especially if the supplier needs to identify why the stock is wrong (is it wrong or just in the wrong warehouse location!).

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Jonboy said:

Direct fulfilment is incredibly common theses days.

There's a big difference between having a pre-arranged supply chain process for fulfillment and operating a business which carries little or no stock behind a ghost address that relies upon availability from a wholesaler on the periodic occasion when a customer orders an item.

• Agree 4

Furthwr to my.post, I have now found he also ordered one of the pre order special.edition sets.  It seems they took the money for that at the the same.time also.

I do smell a large rat, I was concerned that he had ordered through someone I had never heard of, rather than my suggestion of Hattons/Rails/etc...

1 hour ago, AY Mod said:

These Trustpilot 'reviews' smell a bit, sort of like haddock, to me https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/railwaymodelstore.co.uk

Particularly the clutch of glowing reviews all in a few days in November. I've heard such things can be bought at low cost. ;)

Or done yourself..

Also Trustpilot is a paid for service that allows 'reputation management' i.e. you can remove posts you don't like.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, AY Mod said:

These Trustpilot 'reviews' smell a bit, sort of like haddock, to me https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/railwaymodelstore.co.uk

Particularly the clutch of glowing reviews all in a few days in November. I've heard such things can be bought at low cost. ;)

Reviews mostly from "people" with only that one review to their name. Using language like " Will know where to go next time I am buying everything railway models!!" Fishy indeed.

2 hours ago, Jonboy said:

Direct fulfilment is incredibly common theses days. If the core suppliers stock levels are accurate (Normally updated once a day between supplier and wholesaler) then happy days everyone’s a winner...retailer offers a greater range without the capital tied up, supplier has a greater number of outlets to improve stock turnover and customers have more choice on where to buy.

If stock is inaccurate or a sudden rush of demand occurs then delays, disappointment and refunds occur....especially if the supplier needs to identify why the stock is wrong (is it wrong or just in the wrong warehouse location!).

If thwre was an offer of a refund I'd not be concerned.  I also see that the taking of money for a pre.order seems to go against their own t&cs.

And now the website seems.to.not work when you sign into your account.

2 hours ago, AY Mod said:

Sorry for the live updates....

Phoneline rings out.

Tried the sister AMS number, which rang for a long time and rather than 'it has not been possible to connect your call' swtiched to line busy, which made me think someone had dropped the call.

I have the distinct feeling my father in law has been taken for the best part of £400.

• Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, Pmorgancym said:

Sorry for the live updates....

Phoneline rings out.

Tried the sister AMS number, which rang for a long time and rather than 'it has not been possible to connect your call' swtiched to line busy, which made me think someone had dropped the call.

I have the distinct feeling my father in law has been taken for the best part of £400.

If he used his cc to order,he must contact them immediately for guidance.Paypal would of course take up the issue if that was his method of payment. Not good considering the vendor did use this forum to promote his venture.

Hopefully a final update for the weekend.

They contacted me after I left a poor review on trust pilot, apologised for the poor communication and are chasing stock for the 'in stock' item, hopefully monday we will have a postive out come, either item in transit or refund.  So we shall see....

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Pmorgancym said:

Sadly debit card.  Made more complex by him being deaf so the phonecalls get interesting.

If a visa debit his bank may still be able to pursue a chargeback if reasonable attempts to resolve fail. If a MasterCard I would still call the bank and ask if anything can be done.

• Agree 2

Advertising items not actually instock, while a violation of eBay rules,  I have found several of the large eBay stores with listed items exceeding one million items and very high feedback reviews will commonly list model railway items at very competitive prices,  showing ten or more items instock.   Alas, a purchase is made and only when you contact them a week or more later as to postage details they will finally respond stating the item is not instock and that they are initiating a refund.  By the time the refund is made the store has had your payment for two weeks or more.  A look at their negative feedback, usually hundreds of negatives a month,  will in the main indicate that items ordered are not actually instock.    I believe that these stores act more like intermediaries and when a purchase is made then perhaps the store will source the item,  but in reality does not hold any stock.