Class 37, by Accurascale

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, classy52 said:

Will Accurascale consider in the future modeling any of the Preserved Class 37's in conjunction with those who own them?...just like you have with the Class 55.

Hi there,

It's possible. Cannot say too much more on it than that ATM!

2 minutes ago, w124bob said:

Quick question regarding the frost screens, are they an add on detail particularly relating to 37001? 

Yes, they are an add on detail part!

Cheers!

Fran

• Thanks 3

The beauty of the class 37 is the huge oppurtunity for variation and it's longevity, something for nearly everyone and every region . Real earner for the company for many years to come , really looking forward to some Scots '80's versions and 001 can be renumbered to several suitable locos with just the addition of headcode blanks and a scotty dog . Now I'm off to look at 37039 and find my credit card!

• Agree 1

I am actually thinking about future runs when the centre headcode welsh machines appear.

What an SR/GW modeller looking at diesels!!  Downsizing is coming and I have been thinking about something different that doesn't involve coaches and could exist in a couple of eras.   Well it's that or I go looking for Geeps and Alcos at Model Junction.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, No Decorum said:

Thank you, Fran. Initial disappointment has been mellowed by the mention that this isn’t the big announcement. I must like 37s because I have fourteen of them. It’s not an easy thing to do to sell me another 37 but I think you’ve done it. I haven’t got a 37/6. Clever stuff – well done!

Another gap I’m conscious of is the 37/9. Kernow did commission one of them – one of the two with a Ruston engine and a modified roof. If I recall correctly, four had Mirrlees engines and a more heavily modified roof. Of course, it’s all very well my saying that I should like one but I recall that the Kernow commission sold slowly. I don’t like to admit it but you would probably need to think carefully before producing one or even think briefly and say no. :(

I have a Ruston 37 with Biffo sound. It’s one of my favourites. Something that looks a bit different when looking down on it and sounds very different from the standard 37. I’d probably purchase one of both examples, but I would understand if Accurascale gave the Ruston a wide berth and would be extremely understanding if they avoided a Mirrlees example with the heavily modified roof.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Downer said:

Unless I’ve missed it, they aren’t doing the original plain green version.  Maybe a special from one of the retailers.

Which is why I've only ordered 37001. If an original in plain green comes to market, I'll add that.

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, No Decorum said:

Thank you, Fran. Initial disappointment has been mellowed by the mention that this isn’t the big announcement. I must like 37s because I have fourteen of them. It’s not an easy thing to do to sell me another 37 but I think you’ve done it. I haven’t got a 37/6. Clever stuff – well done!

Another gap I’m conscious of is the 37/9. Kernow did commission one of them – one of the two with a Ruston engine and a modified roof. If I recall correctly, four had Mirrlees engines and a more heavily modified roof. Of course, it’s all very well my saying that I should like one but I recall that the Kernow commission sold slowly. I don’t like to admit it but you would probably need to think carefully before producing one or even think briefly and say no. :(

Kernow actually did both 905 and 906 initially as a twin back. I cancelled my order when it became clear that they modelled the locos in "as preserved" condition. Also the liveries choosen did not help either as they did 905 in triple grey and 906 in railfreight grey despite the fact that 906 went into triple grey first.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, w124bob said:

The beauty of the class 37 is the huge oppurtunity for variation and it's longevity, something for nearly everyone and every region . Real earner for the company for many years to come , really looking forward to some Scots '80's versions and 001 can be renumbered to several suitable locos with just the addition of headcode blanks and a scotty dog . Now I'm off to look at 37039 and find my credit card!

maybe we will see the scots ones with car headlights! 

23 hours ago, McC said:

They will actually, will get that note added to the site (as well as Directional lighting on DC and DCC

WIPAC light clusters where appropriate with day and night-time settings

Separately switched cab lighting and illuminated, details driver’s console, auto off on movement

Switchable red tail lights)

thanks. one other point.  Bachmanns model has very visible phosphor bronze strips behind the bogie frames which unless weathered over remain very obvious.  on your pristine versions will there be any visible pick up strips or at least painted black? 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Our aim will be to have the console illuminated when the cab light is off. 

We do no provide drivers in the locos but cab access will be straight forward.

Cheers,

Fran

As a class 37 driver I can tell you instrument lights are barely visible from the drivers seat let alone outside. 

Also remember that the instrument layout on a 37/6 with rebuilt cabs is completely different to a 37/0

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Well, this is super news! ....sort of... What a barmy choice of locos for the 37/0 with just 5 prototypes and no conversion/renumbering possibilities! Just look how many people on the thread have said they want a Scottish one. 

I did promise myself that I'd buy another Deltic if Accurascale announced a 37, purely to support them commercially, but we're not quite there yet with the current range of models being proposed - there's nothing I can use. 

I'm eternally grateful to Accurascale for releasing this and saving us from trying to polish the other t**d, but come on - release some versions we can work with! 

• Friendly/supportive 1

Hi Fran

Great news, I’m really looking forward to these. 

I’d like to ask about the green version graphics, please.

The D6702 graphic depicts a pretty rare combination of small yellow end with TOPS data panel, whereas the D6704 graphic depicts GFYE without a TOPS data panel, which locos with full yellow ends commonly had. Are these graphics based on photos of the prototypes?

Also, if the 41A shedcode depiction is a representation of the paint stencilled style rather than the early cast shedplates the 41A should be on one line, not with the A below the number. There’s a nice 1969 photo of D6706 showing this combination with NB  too on Rail Online.

https://www.rail-online.co.uk/p251491321/e1b472425

Thanks again for producing these.

Simon