Class 37, by Accurascale

• RMweb Premium

Just to say I now officially love Accurascale!

Anyone who knows me knows how much I like DRS traction, especially Class 37/6s which have never been produced in ready to run form before by a manufacturer. I have waited years and years for this announcement and what I also like is how Accurascale has made use of running numbers, liveries and tooling to produce as many locos as possible across the nine Wipac Class 37/6s. I have been suggesting these models to another manufacturer for several years only for them still not to be announced, so this year I decided not to converse any longer with said manufacturer as I had given up any hope that they would ever be produced by them. 

This announcement is going to be very expensive for me but fortunately I already have the money put to one side as I had hoped that another manufacturer would produce these amazing locos. From the initial announcement I plan to buy: 

37602 (to renumber to 37605)

37606 (to renumber to 37607)

I may also buy another 37606 to renumber to 37608 for when it was in operation with DRS in Compass livery. 

Thanks to Accurascale for choosing wisely with running numbers, liveries and tooling I now have the opportunity not only to acquire the standard models but to buy extra to renumber and to create a larger 37/6 fleet. I can't thank you guys enough for choosing this project and I am so glad that you have because I know that these models produced by you will be exceptional. Well you have at least £1000 worth of my money coming to you in Q4 next year maybe nearly £1200 if I choose to create a second 37608 in Compass livery. 

Fran, just to confirm for my plans to renumber some 37/6s, will the numbers on both the cab sides and cab ends be easy enough to remove to add new running numbers? 

Also, unfortunately I cannot attend Warley this weekend. Please could you post some photos of the 3D prints that you will have on the stand at Warley, onto this thread?

Lastly, do you have any plans to announce and produce Class 37/4s in OO Gauge as a new tool? I would really like the likes of 407 & 424 in their current BR Large Logo modern guise with DRS and 423 in either Compass livery or DRS Basic.

Thank you very much in advance and I will follow this thread with great interest. 

A fantastic announcement!

Kind Regards, 

Danny. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Gold

Very kind indeed of you Danny and many thanks for your support.

We really want, as with all of our models, to produce the most definitive model in it's class, both in terms of fidelity and running / technology. 

Renumbering should be relatively straightforward, the printing being removable using any of the standard methods, and we have several more related announcements in the pipeline.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, McC said:

Very kind indeed of you Danny and many thanks for your support.

We really want, as with all of our models, to produce the most definitive model in it's class, both in terms of fidelity and running / technology. 

Renumbering should be relatively straightforward, the printing being removable using any of the standard methods, and we have several more related announcements in the pipeline.

Thank you very much for the reply. I really appreciate it. 

You are more than welcome and thank you for announcing a project that was very much needed. 

Is their any particular renumbering method that you would advise for your models or will any of the standard methods do? I currently use Microset solution to remove running numbers and add new numbers. I also use a toothpick to scrape off the standard running numbers. I haven't used any other methods because I have found that this way works quite well and their is little residue left that is noticeable on the model. 

That's brilliant. I will look forward to further Class 37 announcements in the future. 

Thank you. 

Kind Regards, 

Danny. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, McC said:

The 37 will feature a large EM2 type speaker, and a medium sized 'iphone' style

Aye but I like four 2 watt (continuous not peak) speakers. I shall now retire and sulk in my isobaric chamber.

Hmmmm "Let it breathe". So your announcing a cheese wagon (Thou shalt not violate the brie) this weekend? Or could it be a kettle to pull all those luverly Conflat L's

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Porcy Mane said:

Aye but I like four 2 watt (continuous not peak) speakers. I shall now retire and sulk in my isobaric chamber.

Hmmmm "Let it breathe". So your announcing a cheese wagon (Thou shalt not violate the brie) this weekend? Or could it be a kettle to pull all those luverly Conflat L's

Conflat L's, what a wizard idea...would love to see how the boys handle those chains...that's a design challenge and a half...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Axlebox said:

would love to see how the boys handle those chains...that's a design challenge and a half...

Sounds like a another gratuitous excuse to post this pic again ... and again ... and again ... and again.  Accurascale, please grant me leave from my purgatory.

Cflat-L-ContShkl-001-EditSm.jpg.d57588ee242876e889a474ed401198a3.jpg

2113884237_ConflabL69698B.jpg.df95f4a52611a6457dfcb405eaaee661.jpg

Edited by Porcy Mane
To add more gratuitous imagery.
  • Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

20 hours ago, newbryford said:

Currently in store at Longtown.

Since December 2018 if records are correct.

602 was stored at Eastleigh awaiting new wheel sets and overhauled generator.  

606 is stored at Crewe awaiting new wheel sets.

609 is stored at Longtown after it had a minor meeting with some buffers in Crewe causing a derailment. It shall not be returning to the active fleet.

(other 'active' DRS 37/6 - 605 is stored at Derby awaiting new wheel sets after a derailment).

11 hours ago, DRS Crewe On A Mission said:

37602 (to renumber to 37605)

37606 (to renumber to 37607)

Second that on DRS Compass 607 & 608 in the second batch, these two (along with 610/611/612) in DRS days appeared to be the favourites for NR IM trains. Gotta admit, I am not too keen on 606 as she never seemed to do as much as her class mates (well appeared to me) and certainly I would have preferred 605 to 602 as she just appeared to go on and on and on and on - well until she left the rails! 

I've got 606, 608 and 609 in my checkout basket, I shall pre-order once we see what these 'several' other announcements are to do around 37s in the coming months. I have enough from the sale of my Bachmann 37s for five new 37s so if 407/424 in LL or 405/419 in Compass or 423 are announced, I shall have to drop a 37/6 or shake the piggy a little harder! Gosh if 37057 or 099 or 175/219 in Colas are announced, along with say 038/059/069 in DRS fade green I shall have to rob a bank! 

Sorry, as wonderful as this news is... these days we have come so accustomed to manufactures releasing a gallon of liveries and running numbers in the first few batches and thus the necessity to buy the one model in the one livery you want and then re-number has gone out of the window for me. I have re-numbered and wi-pac nosed up countless Bachmann 37s in DRS as they only released 405. The Accurascale 37/6 choice is well constrained unlike the Hattons 66s where I think I shall (subject to colours being correct) by a max of three out of 37! As I know, more numbers shall be fast off the first batch. Unlike with Bachmann, you had to wait/pray/despair for a several until you got one single livery/number! 

Surely we are getting close to the new manufacturers announcing a range of four or so liveries in a first batch, when by using a drop down menu the modeller can select the running number to be tampo printed onto their choice of livery. (of course if MOQ were not met for a number choice, it would not ever be produced and you could select one of the numbers which made the MOQ - a rather democratic way to cope with dare I say, too much choice these days). 

Edited by 159220
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, 159220 said:

Surely we are getting close to the new manufacturers announcing a range of four or so liveries in a first batch, when by using a drop down menu the modeller can select the running number to be tampo printed onto their choice of livery. (of course if MOQ were not met for a number choice, it would not ever be produced and you could select one of the numbers which made the MOQ - a rather democratic way to cope with dare I say, too much choice these days). 

Printing each model individually rather than in a batch would be impractical for bulk production.

The alternative would be un-numbered models, but Hornby tried this in the 80s & the models sold poorly.

It seems to work for Heljan in O gauge, but this maybe because O is a different market with more modellers willing to do a little work to finish the model off.

• Agree 3

13 minutes ago, Pete the Elaner said:

The alternative would be un-numbered models, but Hornby tried this in the 80s & the models sold poorly.

But that was almost forty years ago. The Model railway market is a very different beast in these modern times.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Pete the Elaner said:

Printing each model individually rather than in a batch would be impractical for bulk production.

It seems to work for Heljan in O gauge, but this maybe because O is a different market with more modellers willing to do a little work to finish the model off.

We live in very different times I assure you, factories are very open to fairly small MOQ for different running numbers on the same livery batch. Numbers are after all, the final tampo print run. The base model, either wi-pac flush with horn grills on 606, 607, 608 & 609 or 401, 402, 407 & 409 in LL as examples represent just two model toolings and split into four number options for both liveries might easily surpass the customers final number choice for the MOQ. Long gone are the 1980s 20,000 in one livery and number, today is all about a few hundred of that and this. Just look at Hattons 66, you think they are doing a few thousand of each of the 37! 

2 minutes ago, 159220 said:

We live in very different times I assure you, factories are very open to fairly small MOQ for different running numbers on the same livery batch. Numbers are after all, the final tampo print run. The base model, either wi-pac flush with horn grills on 606, 607, 608 & 609 or 401, 402, 407 & 409 in LL as examples represent just two model toolings and split into four number options for both liveries might easily surpass the customers final number choice for the MOQ. Long gone are the 1980s 20,000 in one livery and number, today is all about a few hundred of that and this. Just look at Hattons 66, you think they are doing a few thousand of each of the 37! 

I sympathise but currently available models do not support this view.

16 minutes ago, 159220 said:

While I don’t doubt the ease of bespoke tampo printing, the challenge will to get the right model to the right customer without incurring excessive cost. And then dealing with the fallout when it fails. That could be a logistical nightmare. 

3 hours ago, 159220 said:

Also a good way to lose orders and customers, as it requires too much involvement of the customer and inevitable disappointment if they choose a number and are then told sorry but we aren't doing what you chose.

16 hours ago, DRS Crewe On A Mission said:

Just to say I now officially love Accurascale!

Kind Regards, 

Danny. 

NOW?

I hated the start - just ordered a Class 92 from DJ Models 3 hours before A-S announced theirs ... the rest is history!!

I seriously admire their (A-S) genuine intentions, obvious talent - presentation, negotiating, model accuracy and intense attention to detail beyond what we've been accustomed to in the past - SUPERB ....

I've a 55, a 37 and a Mk.5 set on order ... and still await ... something else!!

Al.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, 159220 said:

i can think of 2 very recent examples of very small MOQs on printing...

Brawa produced 50... of the Polish railways 2-8-2 class pt31 in PKP Green and PKP Black.. fully printed, numbered and lined... they cost upwards of £350 each..

Bachmann produced 25 of the 6 preserved A4’s in BR Green in as withdrawn condition, inc valences, tenders etc in 2013 for the Great Gathering, priced £1800 for the 6.

All are like gold dust.

if low volume numbers are to be considered, maybe this is something individual retailers, rather than Accurascales main range could offer ? Though the DRS 37/4’s arent all the same, even if the livery looks the same.. that maybe more tricky.

Edited by adb968008