Class 37, by Accurascale

I don’t currently run DCC. But if I upgraded my DCC-ready 37001 order to DCC sound, could I still run it under DC for the time being?

And if it needs a blanking thingy, are these easy to get hold of?

Edited by truffy

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, truffy said:

I don’t currently run DCC. But if I upgraded my DCC-ready 37001 order to DCC sound, could I still run it under DC for the time being?

And if it needs a blanking thingy, are these easy to get hold of?

the dcc sound version will run on DC with basic engine sounds and the DCC ready version includes a blanking thingie with physical switches for taillights, cab lights, etc for DC users.

Edited by McC
typo!
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

Yet another truly stunning model in the pipeline from Accurascale. The only minor thing I’ve noticed is the lack of a seam to separate the bonnet top doors, which I assume will be present on the finished product.

It's been a long time coming.

Jack.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Jack374 said:

Yet another truly stunning model in the pipeline from Accurascale. The only minor thing I’ve noticed is the lack of a seam to separate the bonnet top doors, which I assume will be present on the finished product.

It's been a long time coming.

Jack.

Thanks Jack, we've even toyed with having them open!

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

4 minutes ago, Krieghoff said:

I know this sparks debate but is there a chance of opening cab doors as well. Beggars cant be choosers I suppose .

While I would wait to judge, opening cab doors would likely turn me off the model.  Previous examples can't get around the fact that they look toy like given the gaps required would leave holes around the door on the real thing.

• Agree 4

17 minutes ago, Krieghoff said:

I know this sparks debate but is there a chance of opening cab doors as well. Beggars cant be choosers I suppose .

A compromise I’d suggest would be separately moulded cab doors, such that they slot into the bodyside. This way there’s no need for hinges and/or springing and the modeller can take off the body and glue them as posed if desired, or completely ignore the fact they’re separately fitted and leave them closed. A light glue application at the factory would mean they don’t ping out and they could be a friction fit meaning no seam. If the door edges were chamfered it would give the appearance of a thinner door too. Any chance to glimpse more of those tasty interiors...

Just a thought!

Jack.

17 minutes ago, mdvle said:

While I would wait to judge, opening cab doors would likely turn me off the model.  Previous examples can't get around the fact that they look toy like given the gaps required would leave holes around the door on the real thing.

We aren't dealing with previous examples though are we !..............we are dealing with an ultra detailed model unlike anything before it. Manufacturing at this level is possible and doable

22 minutes ago, Krieghoff said:

We aren't dealing with previous examples though are we !..............we are dealing with an ultra detailed model unlike anything before it. Manufacturing at this level is possible and doable

I see Accurascale has already answered, but I will point out that it really isn't possible.

0.5mm, probably the smallest gap you optimistically could tool to allow the door to still operate, equates to 3.8cm (or 1.5") in real life.

A Class 37 with a 1.5" gap around it's door would look wrong.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

10 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

However as always I would remind those lovely fellahs from across the water about MDOs - you know what I mean!

Which version do you want, rivetted, original welded, welded rebody or single side door only rebodied?

The early 1970's rebodies survived to go into engineers use as spoil carriers.

Mark Saunders

Amazing spec on the 37s and good luck with the project.  I'm very interested in DRS 37609 and recall reading that the 37s would be available "with ploughs where applicable", although your illustration of this loco shows without and I'd very much like to model this loco with ploughs, so wondering if the final model of 37609 will be supplied with said ploughs? 

Same question too with regard to 37608:

Final question, especially with the possibility of renumbering in mind, will ploughs be made available as spares?  I'd imagine they'd be quite a popular component...

thanks

Al

Edited by YesTor
  • Thanks 3

• RMweb Premium
On 22/11/2019 at 10:46, 159220 said:

602 was stored at Eastleigh awaiting new wheel sets and overhauled generator.  

606 is stored at Crewe awaiting new wheel sets.

609 is stored at Longtown after it had a minor meeting with some buffers in Crewe causing a derailment. It shall not be returning to the active fleet.

(other 'active' DRS 37/6 - 605 is stored at Derby awaiting new wheel sets after a derailment).

Second that on DRS Compass 607 & 608 in the second batch, these two (along with 610/611/612) in DRS days appeared to be the favourites for NR IM trains. Gotta admit, I am not too keen on 606 as she never seemed to do as much as her class mates (well appeared to me) and certainly I would have preferred 605 to 602 as she just appeared to go on and on and on and on - well until she left the rails! 

I've got 606, 608 and 609 in my checkout basket, I shall pre-order once we see what these 'several' other announcements are to do around 37s in the coming months. I have enough from the sale of my Bachmann 37s for five new 37s so if 407/424 in LL or 405/419 in Compass or 423 are announced, I shall have to drop a 37/6 or shake the piggy a little harder! Gosh if 37057 or 099 or 175/219 in Colas are announced, along with say 038/059/069 in DRS fade green I shall have to rob a bank! 

Sorry, as wonderful as this news is... these days we have come so accustomed to manufactures releasing a gallon of liveries and running numbers in the first few batches and thus the necessity to buy the one model in the one livery you want and then re-number has gone out of the window for me. I have re-numbered and wi-pac nosed up countless Bachmann 37s in DRS as they only released 405. The Accurascale 37/6 choice is well constrained unlike the Hattons 66s where I think I shall (subject to colours being correct) by a max of three out of 37! As I know, more numbers shall be fast off the first batch. Unlike with Bachmann, you had to wait/pray/despair for a several until you got one single livery/number! 

Surely we are getting close to the new manufacturers announcing a range of four or so liveries in a first batch, when by using a drop down menu the modeller can select the running number to be tampo printed onto their choice of livery. (of course if MOQ were not met for a number choice, it would not ever be produced and you could select one of the numbers which made the MOQ - a rather democratic way to cope with dare I say, too much choice these days). 

I completely agree. Accurascale have gained such a good balance with regards to running numbers, liveries and tooling in their first batch alone, because of course the tooling has to be maximised in order to make a smaller project like x12 Class 37/6s financially viable to do. I really commend Accurascale for their Class 37/6 choices because I made near enough the exact same suggestions to Bachmann for many years. It just shows the project was possible, maybe not for Bachmann themselves but for another manufacturer. Their is also so much potential with Class 37/6s. They have been overlooked by other manufacturers for far too long. They have been the backbone of the DRS fleet for many years until earlier this year when the last three in operation with DRS were stored (602, 605 & 606). It will be good having 602 and 606 in Compass produced by Accurascale though because these were the final two in active traffic before they were both stored over the summer. Whereas 605 was the third from the last to be stored in January 2019, so she didn't quite make the final two. Not to worry though. 

At the moment my wishlist is as above. I may decide to leave the second 608 in Compass to save on renumbering and make use of one loco with one running number etc. My further wishlist for other modern 37s would be 401, 407 & 424 in modern DRS Large Logo Blue, 423 in DRS Compass or Basic, 601 in EP/ROG, 610 in Compass, 611 in EP/ROG & 612 in HNRC Blue because that one is truly unique to just 612, thus it would be something completely up to date and unique to run on test trains. If we get some/all of these plus any of 038, 059 or 059 in DRS Revised/Fade then who knows what I am going to do. Hopefully some of these 37s in this list won't be announced until 2021 or 2022 and that way I can stagger 37 purchases. 

I am not massively keen on renumbering models especially not ones for £170 each but to create 2/3 additional Compass 37/6s from the first batch it will be worth it. Who knows maybe 605, 607 & 608 will be produced in Compass in a later batch but seen as though the former two have been announced in DRS Blue in batch one and the latter announced in EP/ROG in batch one this may not happen as then their would be a duplication of the same running numbers. It's thanks to Accurascale and their excellent choices that I have the option to renumber straight away from batch one as they have chosen 602 & 606 from two of the different toolings to produce the same livery and create two numbers/locos. Plus at least I won't have to wait for future batches for Compass 37/6s. I can potentially concentrate on buying some other liveries. Yes thank goodness Accurascale have been generous with the DRS liveries because they have released in the main three across the first batch alone. Well done again guys. 

That choice of selecting running numbers would be excellent although I don't expect it. I am probably just too DRS & Class 37/6 obsessed to be buying a few to renumber as well as the standard versions haha. I mean I would be really interested to know if others are like me and like to renumber to create additional numbers/locos. Certainly though with locos that have very specific tooling alike the Class 37/6s I would bet that the MOQ for the factory to apply different running numbers to meet the customers desires could happen, just because I think these highly detailed models as well as them been produced by Accurascale will be extremely popular. Aye we are very, very lucky with all of the choices we have at the moment with model railways. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Premium
On 22/11/2019 at 15:44, atom3624 said:

NOW?

I hated the start - just ordered a Class 92 from DJ Models 3 hours before A-S announced theirs ... the rest is history!!

I seriously admire their (A-S) genuine intentions, obvious talent - presentation, negotiating, model accuracy and intense attention to detail beyond what we've been accustomed to in the past - SUPERB ....

I've a 55, a 37 and a Mk.5 set on order ... and still await ... something else!!

Al.

Typical isn't it. Glad you are happy with the announcement of the Accurascale 92 though. It really is history. Accurascale haven't even delivered their first loco yet (Class 55) and I already have so much faith and confidence in them that all of the models that they produce will be exceptional. They have very high standards and that's what you, myself and others have been waiting for. A manufacturer to come along and really get stuck in with producing definitive locos such as the 37, 55 & 92 so far. Other variations are nowhere near the standards that they should be in 2019 especially for definitive models. 

I'm the same. So far next year Accurascale are costing me x6/7 Class 37s, x2 PFA wagon packs, x1 KUA wagon pack & x1 TPE MK5 pack. I have been very fortunate because all of these locos and wagons are in my main area of interest so the fact that Accurascale have announced them all, I know that they will be exceptional. 

Sits back and tries to think of what Accurascale can produce next haha...

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 2

I'm really not bothered about opening doors and bonnets etc. I doubt Accurascale will do a bad job of it but to me it's a bit of a gimic. 

Getting the glazing right is more important to me. And an area that all 37s have looked naff imo is the front windscreen. I've lost count on how many times Ive fitted Brian's etched windscreens! Every molding in plastic has always looked a bit thick to me. Itll be interesting to see how this one looks

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, YesTor said:

Amazing spec on the 37s and good luck with the project.  I'm very interested in DRS 37609 and recall reading that the 37s would be available "with ploughs where applicable", although your illustration of this loco shows without and I'd very much like to model this loco with ploughs, so wondering if the final model of 37609 will be supplied with said ploughs? 

Same question too with regard to 37608:

Final question, especially with the possibility of renumbering in mind, will ploughs be made available as spares?  I'd imagine they'd be quite a popular component...

thanks

Al

Good morning! All of the 37's will be provided with three-part body mounted Ploughs in the accessory bag.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Gold
33 minutes ago, dj_crisp said:

I'm really not bothered about opening doors and bonnets etc. I doubt Accurascale will do a bad job of it but to me it's a bit of a gimic. 

Getting the glazing right is more important to me. And an area that all 37s have looked naff imo is the front windscreen. I've lost count on how many times Ive fitted Brian's etched windscreens! Every molding in plastic has always looked a bit thick to me. Itll be interesting to see how this one looks

To clarify, my comment about opening bonnets was a joke :) The models will -not- feature opening doors, or bonnets :) (but will have a nicely rendered engine bay, visible through the side windows, which will feature engine bay lighting ;)

The windscreens, etc, will be etched parts, as will many of the 'very high fidelity' components.

Edited by McC
  • Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 1

39 minutes ago, McC said:

To clarify, my comment about opening bonnets was a joke :) The models will -not- feature opening doors, or bonnets :) (but will have a nicely rendered engine bay, visible through the side windows, which will feature engine bay lighting ;)

The windscreens, etc, will be etched parts, as will many of the 'very high fidelity' components.

That sounds proper nice! Perfect.

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

Great news, a high-spec 37 has been much requested for a while. To save me scrolling through 11 pages, plain BR Green seems to be a fairly chunky omission from the range - will that follow on as a limited edition/special commission? One of the pilot batch in plain green to such a high-spec would sell well I would've thought! 

• Like 2

Ok have also ordered 37602 with sound to go with my already ordered 37609.

Both seem to have done a few different workings together over the last few years which includes Network Rail duties, RHTT, Tesco Intermodal, Nuclear Flask & Passenger Charters which is quite a decent spread and I already have all the wagons/NR coaches to go with them.

Btw Accurascale are vampires of the railway modeling world, sucking me dry financially :O

Edited by classy52
  • Informative/Useful 1