Class 37, by Accurascale

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, NXEA! said:

Great news, a high-spec 37 has been much requested for a while. To save me scrolling through 11 pages, plain BR Green seems to be a fairly chunky omission from the range - will that follow on as a limited edition/special commission? One of the pilot batch in plain green to such a high-spec would sell well I would've thought! 

Hi there,

As we said, this is the first in a series of 37 announcements, so watch this space....

Cheers!

Fran

• Like 4
  • Funny 1

18 hours ago, DRS Crewe On A Mission said:

That choice of selecting running numbers would be excellent although I don't expect it. I am probably just too DRS & Class 37/6 obsessed to be buying a few to renumber as well as the standard versions haha. I mean I would be really interested to know if others are like me and like to renumber to create additional numbers/locos. Certainly though with locos that have very specific tooling alike the Class 37/6s I would bet that the MOQ for the factory to apply different running numbers to meet the customers desires could happen, just because I think these highly detailed models as well as them been produced by Accurascale will be extremely popular. 

If you started offering the choice of numbers to people the company wouldn't be able to use the same numbers that are choosen unless it is stated (By product code) when the company wants another batch in the future which means that you constain the company to one batch production with potentially more options but less made overall comparing to having a batch with some numbers then another batch in the future with the other numbers. It would also affect the amount of units made due to people only being able to afford certain amount/numbered models at a particular time unless a company wants to kept a certain level of stock.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

It’s great news this release, especially as it’s by a company that seems to be passionate about studying all the varieties of 37s and making the best model they possibly can for a similar price to the Bachmann model. I guess at some stage we may even see one of the oddball locos like 37102 which carried a flush front at one and and split boxes at the other. Regardless of that well done !

• Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Fran, 

Hope you are well?

Just a few thoughts...

Will all of the 37/6s come with NEM couplings fitted or supplied in the box? 

Will the EP/ROG 37608 model come fitted with the dellner couplings or NEM couplings? 

Also thank you for confirming that their are going to be further Class 37 announcements. I have been thinking about the EP/ROG 37s. I am going to buy 37608 but could you release another one or two in this livery to go with it? I ask because on some occasions two 37s in this livery are used on the same train and Leicester depot quite a lot of the time has more than one 37 in this livery on shed at once. If 608 could be renumbered to another EP/ROG 37 I would buy a second model and renumber it but most of the 37s in the EP/ROG fleet differ significantly with their noses etc. Just thinking about creating realistic trains, formations etc. 

The other 37s in EP/ROG livery are: 37601, 37611, 37800, 37884 & 37901. I have also read that 37510 will be repainted into this livery as well, meaning that their are 5/6 other 37s to choose from of which you may decide to model. 

I would be interested to know your thoughts on the EP/ROG 37s and I suppose it depends on how well 37608 sells. 

Thank you very much in advance. 

Kind Regards, 

Danny. 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, DRS Crewe On A Mission said:

Hi Fran, 

Hope you are well?

Just a few thoughts...

Will all of the 37/6s come with NEM couplings fitted or supplied in the box? 

Will the EP/ROG 37608 model come fitted with the dellner couplings or NEM couplings? 

Also thank you for confirming that their are going to be further Class 37 announcements. I have been thinking about the EP/ROG 37s. I am going to buy 37608 but could you release another one or two in this livery to go with it? I ask because on some occasions two 37s in this livery are used on the same train and Leicester depot quite a lot of the time has more than one 37 in this livery on shed at once. If 608 could be renumbered to another EP/ROG 37 I would buy a second model and renumber it but most of the 37s in the EP/ROG fleet differ significantly with their noses etc. Just thinking about creating realistic trains, formations etc. 

The other 37s in EP/ROG livery are: 37601, 37611, 37800, 37884 & 37901. I have also read that 37510 will be repainted into this livery as well, meaning that their are 5/6 other 37s to choose from of which you may decide to model. 

I would be interested to know your thoughts on the EP/ROG 37s and I suppose it depends on how well 37608 sells. 

Thank you very much in advance. 

Kind Regards, 

Danny. 

Already confirmed upthread that 37608 will be dellner fitted:

Roy

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

But then you'd have to know what was carried in them - and then somebody would have to shoot you ;)

My Uncle brought a secondhand toilet and basin back from York once.....had to put it somewhere, no guards van on a rake of empty Freightliners :lol:

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
On 24/11/2019 at 21:58, mdvle said:

I see Accurascale has already answered, but I will point out that it really isn't possible.

0.5mm, probably the smallest gap you optimistically could tool to allow the door to still operate, equates to 3.8cm (or 1.5") in real life.

A Class 37 with a 1.5" gap around it's door would look wrong.

I love a challenge, this weekend I picked up a new set of calipers, so this is my first chance to play with them....

The doors on the Hornby HST open, and I measured a gap of 0.27mm...

4FDE1BC6-656C-4F55-B1CE-51E436D13C38.jpeg.543e2351b8752a7ec36cdd4fa8943c27.jpeg

in 4mm scale, 3 inches (76.2mm) = 1mm, and thus 0.27mm = 20.5mm (2cm) in real life...

Now how thick is that door seal on the real thing ?

1704FE32-44CA-4F9E-B74A-AC747A4AA278.jpeg.7ad7d30618dfa0d17fe904c8df94b216.jpeg

Nebulos as Accurascale said they wont open anyway, except to me to get chance play with my calipers.

Oh, as for opening noses, the last time I saw inside an English Electric nose, it was a Class 40.... it was full of Lima locos ! As it was a convenient way of moving stock for a sales stand at a BR openday.

6 minutes ago, russ p said:

How about opening cab doors and a DCC controlled driver booting them shut at 60mph or on the sound chip a driver frantically banging the top of a door to try and get it open!

Anything other than non prototypical rad fan sounds ,"Aye oop driver" and modern day station announcements.

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, russ p said:

How about opening cab doors and a DCC controlled driver booting them shut at 60mph or on the sound chip a driver frantically banging the top of a door to try and get it open!

Joke ye not young man........

There are Marklin Locos in which there is a driver at each end, when the Loco reverses the driver at the trailing end hinges down and the leading end drivers pops up!

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

13 hours ago, Roy Langridge said:

Roy

Optional Dellner in the box just like the sleeper 92s. 

They are toying with the idea of having one end fully fitted and the other with an NEM out of the box like the Dapol 68s. 

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
On 25/11/2019 at 20:26, sc2016 said:

If you started offering the choice of numbers to people the company wouldn't be able to use the same numbers that are choosen unless it is stated (By product code) when the company wants another batch in the future which means that you constain the company to one batch production with potentially more options but less made overall comparing to having a batch with some numbers then another batch in the future with the other numbers. It would also affect the amount of units made due to people only being able to afford certain amount/numbered models at a particular time unless a company wants to kept a certain level of stock.

Yes I completely understand the difficulties that manufacturers face with regards to liveries and running numbers. Ultimately though it depends on the manufacturer and which model/s they are producing. Accurascale for example may decide since they have 37606-37609 tooling (which to my knowledge is identical, happy to be corrected), that they want to produce 37607 in DRS Compass or DRS debranded blue and 37608 in full Europhoenix livery or DRS Compass to potentially capture a different area of the market, thus maximising profits with tooling that they already have. I for one would be happy with this because it would save me buying another 606 to renumber to 608 in Compass. Because the Class 37 tooling, especially the Class 37/6 does have limitations and restrictions on how many times it can be used unlike the Class 66 for example of which many locos can be covered with one single tooling it would make sense for Accurascale to use the tooling as much as possible if other liveries can be captured with the same tooling and running number. 

On 26/11/2019 at 07:35, Roy Langridge said:

Roy

Thank you very much for the reply and for letting me know. 

It's brilliant that we are even getting dellner couplings supplied or fitted. 

• RMweb Premium
On 26/11/2019 at 21:19, Fitzer said:

Optional Dellner in the box just like the sleeper 92s. 

They are toying with the idea of having one end fully fitted and the other with an NEM out of the box like the Dapol 68s. 

Thank you very much for the reply and for letting me know. 

That's brilliant and quite a good idea. It's good because regardless of preference to NEM or Dellner couplings it only means changing one coupling over. 

1 hour ago, DRS Crewe On A Mission said:

Because the Class 37 tooling, especially the Class 37/6 does have limitations and restrictions on how many times it can be used unlike the Class 66 for example of which many locos can be covered with one single tooling it would make sense for Accurascale to use the tooling as much as possible if other liveries can be captured with the same tooling and running number. 

Why would you think the moulds have a restriction on many times it can be used?

I would assume (based on my non-manufacturer understanding) that the tooling done would allow for all the variations they eventually want to do, and they simply do a version of "plug n play" with mould parts to output the version they want.  In this way they can always do another run of 37/6 (to choose a random number) five years down the road after they have done x runs of other versions.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, mdvle said:

Why would you think the moulds have a restriction on many times it can be used?

I would assume (based on my non-manufacturer understanding) that the tooling done would allow for all the variations they eventually want to do, and they simply do a version of "plug n play" with mould parts to output the version they want.  In this way they can always do another run of 37/6 (to choose a random number) five years down the road after they have done x runs of other versions.

I don't mean that the Class 37 tooling as a whole has restrictions, I mean that their are differences between individual locos which means that sometimes their are only a small amount of locos that can be modelled in order to be true and accurate to the real life locos. Obviously the moulds can be adapted to produce individual/specific locos with differences. 

If I get what what your saying right you mean about individual differences between locos?

Like other companies models, the moulds will have many interchangeable bits. Sides, ends, roofs bogies etc etc to produce many as many different versions of the prototype as reasonably practical/commercially viable. A difference on an ndividual locos might not be worth tooling up for eg. 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Pre Grouping fan said:

If I get what what your saying right you mean about individual differences between locos?

Like other companies models, the moulds will have many interchangeable bits. Sides, ends, roofs bogies etc etc to produce many as many different versions of the prototype as reasonably practical/commercially viable. A difference on an ndividual locos might not be worth tooling up for eg. 

Pretty much. But I'm also saying that it makes sense to make the most of tooling with regards to running numbers and liveries too. My example was 37606-37609. I think that these four are all identical with regards to tooling/moulds. This means that the tooling is limited to just these four locos. As Accurascale have already done it's about making the most of the tooling that has got limited options. By this I mean it would be pointless just announcing 37606 out of these four, because why not announce the other three 37s as well in different running numbers and liveries. It makes perfect sense. 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, DRS Crewe On A Mission said:

Pretty much. But I'm also saying that it makes sense to make the most of tooling with regards to running numbers and liveries too. My example was 37606-37609. I think that these four are all identical with regards to tooling/moulds. This means that the tooling is limited to just these four locos. As Accurascale have already done it's about making the most of the tooling that has got limited options. By this I mean it would be pointless just announcing 37606 out of these four, because why not announce the other three 37s as well in different running numbers and liveries. It makes perfect sense. 

Doubtful ACC will/would do different runs of an identical livery apart from the running No ?  It's easy enough to change "just" the numbers to get any of 607/8/9 three different model runs could be produced instead. Producing this particular variant without No's would also be an option but unumbered models at least in 00 did not sell that well in the past.

• Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium
30 minutes ago, tractor_37260 said:

Doubtful ACC will/would do different runs of an identical livery apart from the running No ?  It's easy enough to change "just" the numbers to get any of 607/8/9 three different model runs could be produced instead. Producing this particular variant without No's would also be an option but unumbered models at least in 00 did not sell that well in the past.

I wasn't saying that it was certain that they would but they have an option to do so if they want to make more use of the moulds/tooling. Yes I am going to order some additional 37/6s to renumber from the first batch. That way I can renumber to the likes of 605, 607 and maybe 608 too in Compass. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DRS Crewe On A Mission said:

Pretty much. But I'm also saying that it makes sense to make the most of tooling with regards to running numbers and liveries too. My example was 37606-37609. I think that these four are all identical with regards to tooling/moulds. This means that the tooling is limited to just these four locos. As Accurascale have already done it's about making the most of the tooling that has got limited options.

Yes, some of the tooling is limited.   But the key part is some/ much of the 37 tooling will be common amongst different variations.  So the amount of tooling unique to the 37/6 is likely to be quite low.

4 hours ago, DRS Crewe On A Mission said:

By this I mean it would be pointless just announcing 37606 out of these four, because why not announce the other three 37s as well in different running numbers and liveries. It makes perfect sense. 

But they are.  On their website I see 37606, 37607, 37608, 37609 as well as 37605 and 37602.  So what exactly is it that you want?

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, mdvle said:

Yes, some of the tooling is limited.   But the key part is some/ much of the 37 tooling will be common amongst different variations.  So the amount of tooling unique to the 37/6 is likely to be quite low.

But they are.  On their website I see 37606, 37607, 37608, 37609 as well as 37605 and 37602.  So what exactly is it that you want?

I don't think your understanding the point that I am trying to make. I was complimenting Accurascale for making so many Class 37/6s available through the different moulds/tooling. I also said that through the various moulds/tooling this would of course make more locos available to buy because for example 606-609 are identical thus the moulds/tooling can be used at least four times over to create four different locos as they have announced and plan to do. 

I was not criticising Accurascale at all just paying them compliments and recognising the good sense of making as much use of the moulds/tooling as what they can do. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DRS Crewe On A Mission said:

I don't think your understanding the point that I am trying to make.

No, I wasn't, because you started off talking about how the tooling could only be used for a limited time, which isn't true.

I do now understand what you are getting at (and perhaps because I am used to it being that way given that is often how the North American manufacturers operate I couldn't see what you are trying to say).